Favorite tone ever?

Ostracized

• Members

Too many:

Hot Water Music - Fuel For the Hate Game
Dueling guitars ala Fugazi...

Bad Brains - Black Dots
Recorded in a home... I think HR was outside singing. Sounds good in a lo-fi way... hard to explain.

Husker Du - Metal Circus
Diane... props to Bob Mould for being the first with GOBs of gain (really...). It's awesome how that bass line/slow drum beat builds up and then its just woosh...

Thin Lizzy - uh all of it?
They never get the credit, but the guitar harmonies were tight!

Judas Priest - No life til
Leather... yeah!

The Who - Tommy
Almost as much for Entwistles crazy bass as Pete's sparkly/feedback filled guitar work. Pinball Wizard has those simple powerchords that come in over the acoustic... unreal.

Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Well duh.

The Black Keys - Rubber Factory
Dude, the guitar on here sounds so good. It's like those two dudes are channeling a black magic mix of John Lee Hooker, RL Burnside, and Hendrix (more of a creamy Hendrix sound).

I could go on for a long time...

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well I'm going to list them in albums, since they're mostly the same amp on every album.

Weezer - Blue album (Mesa/Boogie Mark I used on this album). I can get the exact tone with my Mesa :thu:

Ash - Trailer (Marshall 6101 used on this album).

Muse - Showbiz (Soldano Decatone used on this album..I like this Muse tone the most, even more than the Diezel VH-4 on absolution!)

Jimi Hendrix - All of them. ;)

Led Zeppelin - I don't know the names of all their albums, but I like their tone on everything I've heard..

thin lizzy - (read above)

----

There are a few others, but those are my favorites.

• Members

Originally posted by zygoat

sounds like smashed ass to me.

yeah but its norma jean. what do you want them to sound like? its not so much that i would like to have that tone as much as their tone is perfect for what they are. if you were to track all their songs on a dynamic line it would look like this:

_____________________....______

they dont need harmonically rich, searing tone.

• Members

randy rhoads...tribute album...aww yeah...

beyond that...it'd be hard for me to limit things...b/c i think ac/dc always sounds great...and i always liked Dean DeLeo's tone (STP)...throw in some Steve Clark/Phil Collen...SRV...and Marco Desantis (sugarcult and he uses bogner shivas)...and that's my tone gammut...

Archived