Taking the front grill of a bogner cab?????

chief04

• Members

Hey,

Anybody know how to take the front grill of a bogner cab??

I have an uber cab that i am trying to get to grips recording but the grill cloth is pretty thick and it is pretty hard to see through, so I want to take the cloth of to dick about with some mic placement.;)

• Members

No,no,no.You must be rcording in a private environment? No self respecting studio engineer would remove that cloth.First off,it's only going to reveal sibilant,high end harshness.All guitar amps,save for maybe an Orange AD140(Orange users,forgive me here) lack treble and not even that amp so much.The cloth is permanently fastened like most guitar cabs with the possilble exception of Mesa Boogie's mid/late 80's cabs.That grillcloth is there to smooth out the mid and high frequency harshness,not so your mom will think it looks pretty.If you're recording you can dial in a ton of upper and lower tones that you could never get from an amp live.I'm sorry to take a hard line here but you need some schooling on this one.Move the mic around,experiment with your EQ and level settings.Good luck with your music recording!

• Members

Originally posted by Megadeth7684

The flashlight thing doesn't work on Bogner cabs. The one with the wheat grill is even harder to see through.

chief, I believe the grill cloth is screwed on from the inside.

Yes, it does work, and I've done it.

• Members

I think the cloth is to disperse the sound and to dampen the ugly frequencies. Not sure if there will be a big impact on a close mike and high volume, but you will hear a difference with a room mike as the sound waves get spread less equally without a cloth.

• Members

Originally posted by Purplexi

No,no,no.You must be rcording in a private environment? No self respecting studio engineer would remove that cloth.First off,it's only going to reveal sibilant,high end harshness.All guitar amps,save for maybe an Orange AD140(Orange users,forgive me here) lack treble and not even that amp so much.The cloth is permanently fastened like most guitar cabs with the possilble exception of Mesa Boogie's mid/late 80's cabs.That grillcloth is there to smooth out the mid and high frequency harshness,not so your mom will think it looks pretty.If you're recording you can dial in a ton of upper and lower tones that you could never get from an amp live.I'm sorry to take a hard line here but you need some schooling on this one.Move the mic around,experiment with your EQ and level settings.Good luck with your music recording!

I don't know dude, I've seen engineers do it dozens of times. The newer Diezel 4*12's have a grill that can be removed. The grill's attached with some velcro dealy. Must be there for a reason...

Archived