Think I`m going to get a Carvin Carved Top instead of a Les Paul.

BAZGUITARMAN

• Members

I think in my position that I should get the guitar that has the quality features that I want, rather than a name that cost too much.

If I bought the LP I would still have to change out the hardware color, add locking tuners and change the pups.

With the Carvin Carved Top I just have to change out the pups and will be done. In fact I`m thinking about buying two if the first one impresses me enough.

I`ll get the first one in quilt top with black stain, black hardware and MOP block inlays. The second one will be exactly the same except in the blue finish over quilt.

They will give me the basic build materials and quality of a LP or PRS, but in exactly the finish and specs I want.

Hopefully, :thu:

Eric

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by BAZGUITARMAN

I think in my position that I should get the guitar that has the quality features that I want, rather than a name that cost too much.

If I bought the LP I would still have to change out the hardware color, add locking tuners and change the pups.

With the Carvin Carved Top I just have to change out the pups and will be done. In fact I`m thinking about buying two if the first one impresses me enough.

I`ll get the first one in quilt top with black stain, black hardware and MOP block inlays. The second one will be exactly the same except in the blue finish over quilt.

They will give me the basic build materials and quality of a LP or PRS, but in exactly the finish and specs I want.

Hopefully,
:thu:

Eric

Aren't the Carvin p/us a weird size? I know some of their other guitars aren't easy to swap out as the dimensions are different than standard p/us.

• Members

Originally posted by V-Type

A nice carvedtop will hang wiyh any LP tone and quality wise. Why pay double for the LP?

Despite how badly some of you guys want them to be, Carvins are not of the same quality as the better Gibsons, and they certainly don't sound like Les Pauls.

• Members

I've had a Carvin for 20 years and wouldn't trade it for anything. It's the most playable guitar ever. The very first time i played it, it felt like I'd been playing it for years. Far better balanced weight than a Les Paul. As for changing the pick ups, I think the Carvins sound great. They have power and clarity, unlike some humbuckers that may be raunchier, but are very muddy.

• Members

Originally posted by GCDEF

Despite how badly some of you guys want them to be, Carvins are not of the same quality as the better Gibsons, and they certainly don't sound like Les Pauls.

Hmmm, gonna disagree here. They are about the same in my experience. Gibson is a far better branded image with better resale, but built better? Nope.

I'd argue thats confusing brand for build... which has been the singular goal of the new Gibson ownership and the only way they can justify the laughable prices for the higher end stuff.

I've spent years playing a variety of guitars from both brands. I've seen both companies do better and worse work but neither has ever done less than good of the work that I've seen.

I agree that only a "insert brand X" here sounds just like brand X, but different brands can get close depending on pups and wood choice, especially neck.

Standard Duncans also fit perfectly in Carvins the only issue is the mounting ring screw holes. $3 plastic part if you don't want to drill the stock ones, not a bigee.

I'm not trying to make a CT4 sound just like a Paul, not really a goal I've ever had, but worrying about such things is silly IMO. The important question to ask is does it sound good to you.

Some of the more money than chops collectors pretending to be players will get up in arms about this, but last and not least, on stage thru a mic'd amp out to a PA the difference between lots of guitars is completely lost. I've heard enough recordings of my own gigs to accept this.

You've either got the chops or not. The band is either tight or not. Generally the folks in the audience rate you as much on how much you run around like a madman anyway. They couldn't care less what your axe says, unless you get that creepy hello kitty thing going on.

Good luck.

-P

• Members

i have a gibson lp standard and a Carvin Ct3T and I had a Ct4T... i love my carvin. before i ordered it, i called up and spoke to one of the reps there. i told him that i wanted the hottest humbucker in the bridge and the smoothest neck humbucker. he told me to put a M22SD in the bridge and a Holdsworth in the neck. I love the tone!!! I had a few carvin guitars with the C22's and the tone wasn't that great. But with the M22SD the tone is right there. I love the playability on this guitar and the feel is just awesome!!!

Good luck!!!!

• Members

Originally posted by omni

If you don't like the carvin and decide to sell it you will lose your ass. At least the gibson retains more of it's value.

Thats about the only consideration i would take into account. If your buying the Carvin too move later on you will loose. Other than that the Carvedtop is equal to the LP in almost every category.

• Members

Originally posted by FPFL

Hmmm, gonna disagree here. They are about the same in my experience. Gibson is a far better branded image with better resale, but built better? Nope.

-P

I've had two Carvins and more Gibsons that I can count. Both my Carvins have had really serious problems with reliability to the point I couldn't trust them for live use. Haven't ever had a Gibson let me down. Carvins have had be grabbing my backup several times.

• Members

carvin will have a thinner body, faster neck, your choice of wood, colour, hardware, etc.

cheaper too.

now for Gibson
I hate that tilt back neck {censored}. I hate the back of the neck with that {censored}ing gooey lacquer too.

the body is {censored}ing 4 inches thick on LP's too. I hate the way it feels. That stuipid little stubby lower horn doesn't sit right on my leg. It's too {censored}ing heavy. I has {censored}ty clean tone. 2 volumes + 2 tones is retarded.

the toggle switch gets knocked around everywhere. The output jack plate is a {censored}ty design.

the strap buttons are like .177 sized.

ughhh, and that wretched headstock.:mad: :mad:

• Members
Originally posted by omni

If you don't like the carvin and decide to sell it you will lose your ass. At least the gibson retains more of it's value.

I still can't seem too pick any used carvins up for cheap.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

I don't think theyreally lose that much value compared to original cost unless you buy the $300 quilt top or something:confused: :confused: :confused:

Archived