Will PRS make me a custom baritone?

flaming turd

• Members

Originally posted by flaming turd

and about how much would it be? would it be better to go with warmoth? i really want one. the prs site tells me to check with my local dealer, but they're dicks.

You would be much better off going to a small builder to get something done. PRS is going to rape you.

• Members

i don't want a small builder.
:(

the prs letters on the headstock are THAT important? there are a lot of builders who could have you a KILLER axe like that for under $2k

seriously i don't know for sure, but i've heard that prs custom guitars (even if it's a basically a standard model with one added option) start at some ridiculous price...i don't even wanna know what they'd fetch for something like a baritone

• Members

Originally posted by cobrahead1030

maybe for about $10k or so they'd start thinking about it

A custom based on an existing model starts at 8k and only goes up from there. I would guess that 10k would be a lowball, if they would do it at all.

The people at PRS are actually really nice. If you email them, they will tell you whether or not it can be done, and then you will have to go through a PRS dealer to get a quote (might I suggest www.sweetwater.com).

Every time I have emailed them, they have emailed me back within a day or two.

• Members

and about how much would it be? would it be better to go with warmoth? i really want one. the prs site tells me to check with my local dealer, but they're dicks.

There are lots of PRS dealers in the world. Don't limit yourself to your local dealer if you don't like them. That said... sometimes you have to do business with people that you don't particularly care for, or else you limit your options in the world.

Nothing to be lost by just giving PRS a call and seeing what they say. They may refer you back to your local dealer, but so what?

I had a custom PRS built for me with a one of a kind electronics package. It took 3-4 months, but the price was not outrageous. Well worth both the wait and $$$ IMO.

• Members

Then be buggered for a baritone. You'll get raped, and raped hard. Besides, if there aren't any PRS baritones out there, what happens if you make a bad call on something (27", when you really want 28" or something)? You're out a {censored}load of money, on resale if nothing else.

Go small, man.

• Members

Originally posted by BrendanO

Then be buggered for a baritone. You'll get raped, and raped hard. Besides, if there aren't any PRS baritones out there, what happens if you make a bad call on something (27", when you really want 28" or something)? You're out a {censored}load of money, on resale if nothing else.

Go small, man.

well chevelle plays one, so they can and have done it.

• Members

i don't want a small builder.
:(

Why waste another 8k when you can get pretty much the same thing from a smaller builder? Is it an ego thing where you need to say you have a custom PRS? With the money you save you can go and buy a sick new amp to go with your new custom baritone.

• Members

well chevelle plays one, so they can and have done it.

Didn't say they couldn't; I said there's a whole lot of unknown going into a guitar like you're talking about, and with an expensive company like PRS, aside from paying out the nose, the chance of not getting precisely what you want is a lot higher, than with say, ESP or something, where you can go out and try their baritones, to see what you dig, and don't dig about them before committing to a custom.

• Members

I'm not sure how much he is asking for that one, but probably pretty cheap. He will finish it off however the buyer wishes too.

As far as his other prices, I think for full blown exotic customs like the explorer or V, those are about $2000. So a PRS would be in that range too.

mJ

• Members

Originally posted by BrendanO

Didn't say they couldn't; I said there's a whole lot of unknown going into a guitar like you're talking about, and with an expensive company like PRS, aside from paying out the nose, the chance of not getting precisely what you want is a lot higher, than with say, ESP or something, where you can go out and try their baritones, to see what you dig, and don't dig about them before committing to a custom.

gotcha. those are very valid points. i think it will be cost-prohibitive. i was thinking 3-4k.

• Members

Originally posted by 4nkam

I'm not sure how much he is asking for that one, but probably pretty cheap. He will finish it off however the buyer wishes too.

As far as his other prices, I think for full blown exotic customs like the explorer or V, those are about $2000. So a PRS would be in that range too.

mJ

i'd like something like a plain jain eclipse or horizon style really...those exotic customs look great, but i don't need something like that to beat up :(

do you know what that guitar is made of?

Archived