Petition for Waldorf Microwave XT/k Phoenix Edition: Who would join

Minocan

• Members

I had a MW XT about 12 years ago, and I remember it had various annoying bugs in that too.

I talked about real hardware problems I had with my Q+, not about bugs. A few small bugs or OS glitches don't bother me at all. But, speaking about bugs, I really cannot recall any bug in Q or XT which can affect my work in any way, and I don't remember any of them ever crashed or freezed.

The only regular bug I am aware of are reversed L/R outputs on most of Waldorf synthesizers, but this can be easily solved by swaping cables going to the mixer.

What issues in regard to OS bugs did you have with your XT?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
You may all now be envious of my blurry XTk. Pay no attention to the beast behind it. I haven't encountered any bugs with it, but I am starting to encounter the jumpy encoder problem. Le sigh.

That's an extremely easy fix. Rotate your problem encoders slowly twenty full turns clockwise then twenty full turns counterclockwise. Disuse makes the encoders flakey.

If it turns out you actually have a bad one, contact me.

Bugs that affected me:
1)Aftertouch is horribly broken on the XTk...it sends garbage.(works fine for internal sounds though)
2)The loop point on the multistage envelope doesn't work quite right

...other than that, just minor crap. I adore my MWXT! :love:

• Members

What issues in regard to OS bugs did you have with your XT?

It was a while ago, so I don't remember. I just recall that I had to call the distributor several times about some minor annoying problems. But I did really like the XT, it was probably one of my favorite hardware synths.

• Members

I think that Waldorf did not buy the rights for the XT when they resurrect their company. It was that they only bought rights to some parts and not the others.

I wish they would the PPG 3 thing in real hardware, like the Origin. I would be all for it. But software is not my thing.

• Members

Dunno, my take on waldorf is that they have good ideas but never execute that well from both a technical and business side.

Lets look at examples:
- Pheonix editions: kinda a good idea to relase a product that is more or less already done but the prices are way to high for these.
- AFB: Yup everybody wants a good analog filter bank that has lots of filters, almost no-one wants one that has no analog inputs.
- PPG V3: Is there seriously more than about 5 people in the world asking for this? Well, ok, you got me, this violates the good ideas rule as well.
- zomb whatchamacallit. Can't pronouce it, don't need it, no one is asking for it.
- stromberg: Good idea, vapor-ware and probably would be full of bugs if released.
- blofeld and it's off springs: Low cost Q? Well, doesn't sound as good and has a crappy interface and you have to pay extra to load in your own samples.
- Largo: Software blowfeld, seems like a good idea. But it sounds even worse than the blofeld and eats a ton of CPU power with any decent amount of voices or longer releases on the amp envelopes.

If we talk about the business side, well, we all know how well that's gone in the past.

I wish them the best as I like some of their ideas and the XT is pretty cool but I'd be shocked if they were around in 10 years.

• Members

Does the Blofeld really sound worse than the Q? The demos sounded pretty excellent...and besides... mine is arriving tomorrow.

No. Not in any sense of the word IMHO, but the Blofeld has several avenues that have to be adjusted to acheive more Q like results as well as a few minor things.

For example, the Blofeld has a relatively low audio output. This can be remedied by applying and adjust the drive. It seems Waldorf left a bit of headroom to make this adjustment.

• Members

You compared Q and Blofeld by yourself, side by side?

Yeah, a friend of mine had that small blue keyboard version and brought it over when I got my Blofeld Keyboard.

They're both great but the Blofeld has more options. So you have to mess around with it a bit more to get a similar sound. But the most important factors to me is that the Q doesn't have the PPG filter, can't sample, and doesn't have as many wavetables as the Blofeld does.

Trust me, the Blofeld IS the evolution of the series. They still just need to put in more time ironing out some of the minor niggles. The last patch upgrade did A LOT to get the synth straight. Hopefully, one more patch will do it.

What niggles you ask? Well, I really don't like knowing the potion of the octave shift and sometimes I turn on the Blofeld and it's not on the same patch that was there when I turned it off. i like to continue where I leave of on things so this bothers me. A bit anal perhaps but just letting ya know.

• Members

Trust me, the Blofeld IS the evolution of the series.

Evolution in the sense of adding more wavetables and cutting down sound, polyphony, knobs, built-like-a-tank housing and many other features (variable filter routing, 8x FX, suboscillators, step sequencer, vocoder, audio inputs, multiple outputs, ...).

Blofeld is in some ways the evolution of MicroQ (although without suboscillators, audio inputs and multiple outputs), not Q ...

Not to say that Blofeld is a bad synth, on the contrary, and taking into account the *price*, but it is not a Q replacement, especially not if you have both Q and MWII/XT with all those wavetables.

• Members

I believe it's the Micro Q keyboard.

311101.jpg

Sound engine is a little different than the Q.

After this XT/K wishes, I thought I would honestly buy a "Blofeld" instead of Q if it had:

- 5 octave keyboard with aftertouch

- almost (except mod matrix) one knob/button for function like the Q. (Sorry got this disease from nord lead 2)

- Had a static 32 polyphony like the Q expanded or 100 dyna poly like the Q+

- Has Q's audio capabilities (surround or 3 main outs, vocoder etc)

- With Blofeld's new stuff that's not found on the Q (drive curves, wavetables, usb etc)

That would be awesome :idea:

Since they have an OS, they can work on that instead of Stromberg eh? :wave:

• Members
I believe it's the Micro Q keyboard.

311101.jpg

Sound engine is a little different than the Q.

After this XT/K wishes, I thought I would honestly buy a "Blofeld" instead of Q if it had:

- 5 octave keyboard with aftertouch

- almost (except mod matrix) one knob/button for function like the Q. (Sorry got this disease from nord lead 2)

- Had a static 32 polyphony like the Q expanded or 100 dyna poly like the Q+

- Has Q's audio capabilities (surround or 3 main outs, vocoder etc)

- With Blofeld's new stuff that's not found on the Q (drive curves, wavetables, usb etc)

That would be awesome
:idea:

Since they have an OS, they can work on that instead of Stromberg eh?
:wave:

I thought they were the same thing. This was just the smaller version. My bad but either way, the Q is dead.

• Members

"Neither can Blofeld because it is not a sampler and doesn't have audio inputs. Blofeld Keyboard and Desktop with License SL can use samples downloaded from the computer but neither of them *can't* sample."

Just because something doesn't have audio inputs doesn't mean it's not a sampler. You can load sounds into it with the USB and edit the samples within the engine to generate the desired sound. That makes it a sampler.

And IMHO makes for one of the best features in sound design.

I wasn't a fan of my friends Micro Q so I admit I never bothered with the Q. To me, it was more of something I didn't like, but I waited for the Blofeld keyboard. :thu:

• Members

New Q's price close to a Virus TI (with expansion, still a little cheaper) is a minus for most people. At this selling rate they would be on sale for 5 more years I think :facepalm:

But Waldorf needs a Q like (interface-wise) synth in the future. Blofeld won't carry them for so long.

• Members
Hmmm.... "sampler" implies that a device itself can sample which isn't the case for the blofeld, something else has to do the sampling for it.

Kontakt and Gigastudio are "Samplers" and neither can sample from themselves. :idea:

"A sampler is an electronic musical instrument similar in some respects to a synthesizer but, instead of generating sounds, it uses recordings (or "samples") of sounds that are loaded or recorded into it by the user and then played back by means of a keyboard, sequencer or other triggering device to perform or compose music."

Archived