Moog Voyager XL

goldphinga

• Members
See.

I'd love to have that Whitewash Voyager but I'd have to sell a bit. Remember, I just moved and had to pay college fees.

I'll talk to him about it over that beer we're going to have soon enough. I'm definitely game.
:thu:

:lol: No pressure at all, Man - I'd give you a nice price. We'll talk. I just want it in a "good home" more than anything else. ;)

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Ah that vicarious feeling again when Carbon posts
:love:

:lol:

:D It's not like I can afford to do it without selling a buncha stuff.

if synths and keyboards were a place, think:"it's-way-more-than-a-hobby-for-some-47YO-guy-who-still-thinks/acts-like-he's-20-but-who's-played-the-black-and-whites-for-27-years" and you'll just be barely inside my city limits... :lol:

• Members

If the mono is 5 grand, then how much will the poly be if and when it comes out?

As cool as I think it is, and I'm not a cheapskate by any means, I just don't think it's woirth that kind of cash. (not to me anyways)

It will be $8000, fanbois will scream and drool, everyone will bitch about the price, and nobody will buy it.

Which is exactly why Moog will never build it.

• Members

They've already publicly stated it is in development on their own forums. I would expect it to feature voice and control architectures that are suited towards a polyphonic design (I.e. Affordable), sort of like a poly version of a little phatty.

• Members

willi:

Wasn't aware Moog had said they are working on it. I wonder how they reconcile the high parts count inherent in discrete design (part of how they get their famous sound) with the huge multiplier of multiple voices?

Usually, your choices are to abandon discrete design for some sort of synth chip (Dave Smith Evolver, P8, etc), or you keep it discrete and charge a buttload of money (Code).

Minocan:

the Polymoog used organ top octave divider technology, with primitive filters and amps under each key. Nobody would do it that way these days. It was unreliable as heck.

• Members

willi:

Wasn't aware Moog had said they are working on it. I wonder how they reconcile the high parts count inherent in discrete design (part of how they get their famous sound) with the huge multiplier of multiple voices?

Usually, your choices are to abandon discrete design for some sort of synth chip (Dave Smith Evolver, P8, etc), or you keep it discrete and charge a buttload of money (Code).

Maybe they would do discrete, maybe not. The Memorymoog used many CEM IC's. The filter was classic Moog however.

• Members

Maybe they would do discrete, maybe not. The Memorymoog used many CEM IC's. The filter was classic Moog however.

Exactly. What would they use today? The CEMs still used by Dave Smith do not include a VCO, only a DCO - which would be sacrilege in a Moog. And the sound of the filter is not exactly a world beater.

Would they go to the expense of designing their own chips ala Andromeda? Should they use software envelopes and LFOs? Feasible, but again people will bitch.

The Chroma has an ingenious discrete dual oscillator with a very low parts count, so it can be done.

• Members
Interesting, but no actual information about the sound producing circuits.

Well, sure... but considering the number of chips seen in the pictures, compared to the number of discrete components seen in other discrete synthesizer circuits...

file.php?id=74&sid=29f58f5d2a41eb6610554

It's just way too clean to be discrete, imo, and it would have been a marketing point already mentioned. It would be interesting to know how many of those chips are custom.

Hmm, stupid picture won't display inline, oh well..

Archived