Making the move to .11s...

JBecker

• Members
Originally posted by MetalGuitar08

.11s in standard will have way too much tension IMO
[/quote you will get used to the tension. I'm thinking bout 11s for my new strat as well. it came with 9's and I just put on 10's. but for any decent blues you need 11's minimum]

• Members

Originally posted by Rawchannel

Just made the move to standard tuning from 1/2step down using 11's. Love it.

Something I have considered, but I am not sure how I feel about going to 1/2 step. Some of the "drone chords" (I dont know what they're called, some open strings, some closed) would definitely get a different quality to them. That's my favorite kind of playing rhythm-wise too. Meh, it's definitely something to consider since i frequently sing and I do have a low voice.

• Members

I sed to play 11s in standard all the time, did it that way for years and all my guitars are 25.5" scale. I liked the fact i could really knock 7 bells out of them without them going all flabby. Since then ive gone back to lighter strings, but i still like them from time to time. I went up to 13s once before, but that was silly and they didnt really sound very nice, no brightness at all

They really strengthen your hands too, which can only be a good thing

James

• Members

Originally posted by septopus

Try 10-52

My issue is on the 10 side not the 52 side.

I just hope they don't feel too stiff when I stretch them. I'd still like to be able to throw down a full step bend when I need to without problems.

I play more on my acoustic than electric so I think I'll have the hand strength (or be able to build it).

• Members

11's are the bomb. I converted all my guitars a few years ago and haven't looked back. I found when setting up for 11's I was actually able to lower the bridge from it's '10' height without buzzing out. The added tension helps with truss rod action as well, allowing a little more back and forth between the strings and truss rod. I've tried 12's though and didn't like them. Unless someone's detuning, I don't recommend anything thicker than 11-50's.

Archived