Why does this SG look so wrong?

FWAxeIbanez

• Members

Well, it looks good, I like it, but it almost looks fake.

I think I've narrowed it down... that wierd ass stripe of different colored wood on the back bugs me, and that bridge can't be stock can it? The whole saddle piece looks crazy and nothing like the other SG's I've seen... or am I wrong? It says all original hardware.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1977-Gibson-SG-Standard_W0QQitemZ290034586043

• Members

wow I'm tired... never mind the friggin mini toggle.

and I don't know why I didn't notice it, but the fact that the pup toggle switch is in the wrong place makes the body look a bit longer and stuff...

What a wierd SG.

edit: the pup toggle is in the right place, the four knobs are not, they are all squished together... Man, every time I look at it I find something else... '61 reissue pickguard...

Did I find the next fake?

• Members

Looks real to me. Gibson used those wide/flat bridges in the '70s a lot. The mini-toggle is obviously not stock, but everything else looks kosher to me. The thing that boggles my mind is that the bidding is so high for a refinished '77 SG with a cracked neck. :eek: Gotta say though, the finish looks really nice!

• Members

Ya know, the more i look at it...there's something about it that does seem wrong. The fingerboard inlays are simple squares and they're too small. Also, the Gibson logo seems a bit too low on the headstock. If this does turn out to be a fake, the fakers are getting better. I can usually pick 'em out instantly but this one had me for a second...

• Members

well, for starters it has an extra toggle that i don't know what the {censored} it does, the mini block inlays look like ass, and the finish looks like a {censored} smear... but aside from that it looks awesome :thu:

i'm pretty sure it's real though, i've seen others like it... except for that mini toggle.

• Members

The main thing that's throwing me is the fingerboard inlays. I've never seen an SG with the small rectangles before. However, I HAVE seen these type of inlays on some Gibson hollow-bodies before so who's to say they couldn't have just run out of trapezoid inlayed fingerboards one day and finished the run with the rectangles? Gibson did some off-the-wall {censored} at times. Anyone ever seen another SG that had anything other than dots or trapezoids?

• Members

I say check with the Gibson forum guys. Most likely they are allready deceided on its validity. Too many questionables and the repaired neck crack and refin for the asking $$$ is a pass up for me. I also dont know about block inlays that plain on a late 70's SG standard. Check with the Gibson guys.

• Members

Originally posted by rog951

Anyone ever seen another SG that had anything other than dots or trapezoids?

i've definitely seen other SGs in that brown finish with the mini-blocks. those looked like {censored} too, but they were real.

• Members

Ya know, the more i look at it...there's something about it that does seem wrong. The fingerboard inlays are simple squares and they're too small. Also, the Gibson logo seems a bit too low on the headstock. If this does turn out to be a fake, the fakers are getting better. I can usually pick 'em out instantly but this one had me for a second...

I have a SG that has the same inlays...and mine is real !!

• Members

What about the truss cover S-G is that how they were stamped? Ive never seen that layout before just SG or plain on standarts of that era. And the Refin is not a exact Gibson stain as stated in his descript. Post it on the Gibson forum first just too be safe. The knockoffs are getting better and better these days.

• Members

The main thing that's throwing me is the fingerboard inlays. I've never seen an SG with the small rectangles before. However, I HAVE seen these type of inlays on some Gibson hollow-bodies before so who's to say they couldn't have just run out of trapezoid inlayed fingerboards one day and finished the run with the rectangles? Gibson did some off-the-wall {censored} at times. Anyone ever seen another SG that had anything other than dots or trapezoids?

It was the '70's man... everyone was 'experimenting'... all that coke... they were young, they didn't know what they were doing...

• Members
:freak: A Refin and its at almost $1200.00 for a '77 and it hasn't even hit the reserve yet......I guess my '69 Refin is worth more than I thought :idea:

Not so sure I like that High Gloss clear on such a vintage piece.........It reminds me of a coffee table.

Archived