OT: best laptop for under $1000?

bluesboy

• Members

Im looking to buy a laptop, for no more than $1000. what are some ideas for the best i can get? I want it to have a DVD drive/burner, and windows/office. Also, wher eis a goo dplace to buy? This is for work, but i might also use it for recording :)

• Members

Originally posted by MattACaster

Buying direct from Dell or HP or a place like NewEgg.com is probably the way I'd go. Places like Best Buy always seem to be overpriced, IMO.

well, i kind of want to buy it like tonight, and i dont really want to wait for shipping

• Members

I'm searching for one as well. The best that I could find was the new Hewlett Packard Pavilion dv6013.

AMD Turion 64 X2
1 024 DDR2 667 MHz
100 Gt EIDE SATA 5400 rpm
DVD +/-R +/-RW
Firewire
S-video
Microsoft Works 8.0
etc.

Looks pretty good to me. But hey, I don't know much about computers.

• Members

Originally posted by nakedzen

I'm searching for one as well. The best that I could find was the new Hewlett Packard Pavilion dv6013.

AMD Turion 64 X2

1 024 DDR2 667 MHz

100 Gt EIDE SATA 5400 rpm

DVD +/-R +/-RW

Firewire

S-video

Microsoft Works 8.0

etc.

Looks pretty good to me. But hey, I don't know much about computers.

how much memory? how much $$$ ?

• Members
Originally posted by bluesboy

Im looking to buy a laptop, for no more than $1000. what are some ideas for the best i can get? I want it to have a DVD drive/burner, and windows/office. Also, wher eis a goo dplace to buy? This is for work, but i might also use it for recording
:)

I woould highly recommened a macbook.

• Members

Dell is quite hard to beat price wise.
They already have the new Core 2 Duo chips for cheaper than others sell the old Core Duo.

I don't know their US price, but here in CAnada, the Inspiron 6400 with Core 2 Duo 1.88GHz with 2 Gb of RAM is only 1099$CDN.

However their service seem quite {censored}ty. My wife ended up buying a Core Solo Toshiba at a local shop because she couldn't even order the freaking Dell! Don't worry, she didn't pay 1099$ for the Solo ;)

• Members
Originally posted by Hardtailed

Dell is quite hard to beat price wise.

They already have the new Core 2 Duo chips for cheaper than others sell the old Core Duo.

I don't know their US price, but here in CAnada, the Inspiron 6400 with Core 2 Duo 1.88GHz with 2 Gb of RAM is only 1099$CDN.

However their service seem quite {censored}ty. My wife ended up buying a Core Solo Toshiba at a local shop because she couldn't even order the freaking Dell! Don't worry, she didn't pay 1099$ for the Solo
;)

The trick with Dell is to try and order it trough a company. Either that or make one up.... Their business support is second to none. They once got me a power supply for a desktop in under 4 hours.:thu:

• Members

I bought a Dell Inspiron E1705 that was a refurb for $900 shipping included.

100GB HD
1GB RAM (upgradeable to 2GB)
17" widescreen
Intel Core Duo 1.83Ghz

This PC kicks all kinds of ass. I'm a graphic designer and it works like a charm when using CS2 or any other design programs.

• Members
Originally posted by lostandfoundpdx

i can't stand my dell lappie... it's a POS. i won;t go with dell teh next time i buy a computer. in fact, i think i'm gonna sell out and buy a mac. i just can't handle recording into a PC anymore, way too many issues.

oh well, that won't be any time soon...

you my friend will be making a VERY wise decision!

going Mac wil change your life buddy....be prepared!

:thu:

OH and by the way, the cheaper macbook goes for 1099 at apple dot com

• Members

getting used to a Macintosh (OS) will take a month.......in about two weeks you won't feel LOST that much.....but it takes a whole month to get that "A HA! GOT IT!"

be patient and you'll get it.......it'll be worth it at the end TRUST ME! ;)

• Members
Originally posted by bluesboy

Im looking to buy a laptop, for no more than $1000. what are some ideas for the best i can get? I want it to have a DVD drive/burner, and windows/office. Also, wher eis a goo dplace to buy? This is for work, but i might also use it for recording
:)

HP ZD8000

• Members

dude check out tech-mart dot net they are a laptop refurbishing company and sell great stuff and offer a 3 year warranty and stuff... I got a few laptops from them over the years... scored a IBM thinkpad r40 for 410 bux shipped. 2.2ghz p4, a gig of ram, 60 gig hard drive, cd burner... i use it to run protools and it has been flawless.... just my 2 cents ! :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Been a PC guy for 10 years... then I bought a Macbook a couple of months ago... I will be a Mac guy for the reminder of my life...

You often see people going form PC to Mac, but I've rarely seen the opposite.. now I know why... what's the use of having the fastest computer "in specs" ??? When Macs, while they are not as fast "in specs" run much more stable because of Mac OS which I just discovered is sooooo much relief, no more viruses, no more illegal operations, no more weird blue screen, or things that just plain don't work... everything always works, and best yet, I don't even have a firewall or anti-virus, or anything for that matter, don't need to defragment, check disc, etc. It's always working !

Now the best part : Macs are not inferior "in specs" anymore ! They use intel chips, so I don't see a reason not to switch, at least for me, unless you play games which I don't, I only use internet and audio recording softwares, and you know what ? I Installed XP on my Mac, I use to use it, but slowly, I've been prefering just transfering my applications to Mac OS then using Windows... which still craps on me for no reasons !!

Francis.

• Members

Originally posted by Soulgolem

Been a PC guy for 10 years... then I bought a Macbook a couple of months ago... I will be a Mac guy for the reminder of my life...

You often see people going form PC to Mac, but I've rarely seen the opposite.. now I know why... what's the use of having the fastest computer "in specs" ??? When Macs, while they are not as fast "in specs" run much more stable because of Mac OS which I just discovered is sooooo much relief, no more viruses, no more illegal operations, no more weird blue screen, or things that just plain don't work... everything always works, and best yet, I don't even have a firewall or anti-virus, or anything for that matter, don't need to defragment, check disc, etc. It's always working !

Now the best part : Macs are not inferior "in specs" anymore ! They use intel chips, so I don't see a reason not to switch, at least for me, unless you play games which I don't, I only use internet and audio recording softwares, and you know what ? I Installed XP on my Mac, I use to use it, but slowly, I've been prefering just transfering my applications to Mac OS then using Windows... which still craps on me for no reasons !!

Francis.

You know, I think there is a reason why under 5 percent of all computers are Macs.

• Members

Ok I must admit, I do a lot of things on my computers, I might be an overuser, the average user wouldn't necessarly bump into those problems, although one thing I'm sure, even with moderate use, when installing and desinstalling things on a pc, it eventually becomes slower, and useless files associated with them are spread everywhere in the windows folder and the registery, the Mac is just so much "cleaner" to me ! Some applications don't even require those thorough installation procedure, they're just a file with the whole package, anyway, you've gotta try one to understand what I mean.

Francis.

Archived