I am considering joining the Marines.

rememberduane

• Members

Originally posted by V-Type

Well congrats on considering too join the Best Club in the World. Im a former Marine from 83-87 and have been in fire fights in conflict. As long as you are sure this the path you want too take then I see no problems other than the actuall physical and mental conditioning youll recieve in boot and then your given MOS training. I went in weighing like 140 soaking wet and a lanky 5'11. They whooped my ass into shape and threw everything at me. It was Very hard work day and night for 14 weeks in Boot. But when they were done with me I was a strapping 190 and you could bounce a hard ball off of me and I didnt flinch. I was also a natural at target shooting as well and qualified as a Marksman and then Expert. If you dug playing war as a kid like I did then you will LUV all the weapons and tactics they make available too you. however you will be driven to the brink mentally and physically in boot and you will be rebuilt back into a true fighting machine both with weapons,hands and mind.

It will be like double football practices except they are all day everyday for the whole time in boot and then if you go infantry you will hone your newly acquired skills even further. However the benefits are Staggering as you will have more confidence and it will show. And Not many are dumb enough too screw with a Marine. Also when you are in full dress(either Dress Blues,Olive drabs or camo) the ladies will be all over you. God I miss those days.

And remember its a fraturnity with hundreds of thousands of active and inactive members and youll be an important part of that family for life. I know when I hit hard times or got in trouble Brothers I really didnt even now from all facets of life came out of the woodwork for support and is true too this day. I know we have a couple of Jar Heads here and trust me if you needed their help they will be there to stand right beside you. No bull{censored} just Fact.

Also remember its an Elite force and you will be held too a much higher standard than most. There are some good and honest sites on the web of What you will actually go through for reference sake. And if you need any clarification and I or my fellow Marine doublebarrel can help please ask.

Congrats on considering too be the best and Semper Fi .

Thanks a ton for the information man. I know it will be the most trying thing I could go through, mentally and physically, but it's necessary if you're going somewhere where lives are on the line.

Were you enlisted or an officer? Can an officer that is a natural marksman get to sniper school? As MOS 0302 (Infantry Officer)? Or would they likely put me in intelligence seeing as I would know Arabic?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by silverfacechamp

My dad, my uncle (Force Recon), and two of my cousins are or were in the Corps.

All four of them would say it its the smartest thing they ever did. It's going to be really hard, but you'll get something out of it that no one can ever take away. And if you're going to be a soldier, be a Marine. Marines command a level of respect that no other branch has.

Plus, the military benefits (VA loans, GI bill, etc.) are a nice perk.

Good luck, man!

Thanks man.

You guys are making me feel much more comfortable with my decision. :cool:

• Members

why dont you become a cop ?

I think there are much more threats coming from around where you live than a few terrorists.

what was the death toll of outside terrorist attacks in the US since 100 years? probably just the few thousands that died on 09/11/01

Whats the death toll of car accidents in your country ?
What is the death tolls of armed robberies ?
What is the death toll of all criminal activities ?

What good will it do to your familly if you are killed 5000 miles away in a country where you will be considered as an invader even by people who are against terrorism?

• Members

Originally posted by blckbldng

why dont you become a cop ?

I think there are much more threats coming from around where you live than a few terrorists.

what was the death toll of outside terrorist attacks in the US since 100 years? probably just the few thousands that died on 09/11/01

Whats the death toll of car accidents in your country ?

What is the death tolls of armed robberies ?

What is the death toll of all criminal activities ?

What good will it do to your familly if you are killed 5000 miles away in a country where you will be considered as an invader even by people who are against terrorism?

You raise good, important points, and things I'll need to consider before I talk to a recruiter.

• Members

If you go in as an officer go Marines!! The air Farce has no respect for anyone other than pilots. The only thing that would scare me would be the mental training. My father was a marine during the Vietnam era and an officer in the Air Force. His stories of boot camp kept me from ever wanting to join but sure it is better now than it was then and even better for Officers.

• Members
Originally posted by vexed73

I'm sure it is better now than it was then and even better for Officers.

Yeah back then they shot live rounds at your ass. And could beat the living {censored} out of you. Remember Full Metal Jacket

full_metal_jacket.jpg
"What the {censored} is this Pyle? Please tell me this is NOT a jelly {censored}in donut!"

• Members
Originally posted by Stephen Colbert

Yeah back then they shot live rounds at your ass. And could beat the living {censored} out of you. Remember Full Metal Jacket

full_metal_jacket.jpg

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: You little scumbag! I got your name, I got your ass! You will not laugh, you will not cry, you will learn by the numbers, I will teach you! Now get up off your face! Pvt. Joker you better un{censored} yourself before I unscrew your head and {censored} down your neck!

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Are you quitting on me? Well, are you? Then quit, you slimy {censored}ing walrus-looking piece of {censored}. Get the {censored} off of my obstacle. Get the {censored} down off of my obstacle. Now. Move it. I'm going to rip your balls off, so you cannot contaminate the rest of the world. I will motivate you, Private Pyle, if it short-dicks every cannibal on the Congo.

Walrus-looking? lmfao

• Members
Originally posted by Stephen Colbert

full_metal_jacket.jpg

"Who said that?! Who the {censored} said that?! Who's the slimey little {censored} twinkled toed communist cocksucker down here that just signed his own death warrant? Was is it you? I bet it WAS you. You look like a {censored}ing worm."

• Members

Another Fmr Marine here (77-81...Sgt)
It was the best thing I ever did and many times I wish I never got out. I echo the other fmr Marine's comments above.
The biggest thing, keep your mouth shut and your eyes and ears open. Dont worry too much about the marksmanship stuff. Some of the best qualifiers never held a weapon before (no bad habits to unlearn)
The best thing you can do to prepare is run and do some upper body work. The toughest thing for me was the running.
Keep this in mind....the whole purpose for the lack of sleep, the hard training AND the hard words is to teach you to make decisions and operate under pressure. So dont take it personally.
Once you fully understand why the Marine DI's are being so 'harsh' it makes it easier to take and actually made me accept the challenge. Take the attitude that "keep it comin, I can take anything you can dish out"

At 46...people at work still call me 'The Marine' And I puff up pride everytime they do

BTW... They dont treat you like they did back then any more. Its still tough, but lots more professional.
If you get a chance, watch the series on the Discover Channel
about Marine Boot Camp

Semper Fi:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by awilson40

Another Fmr Marine here (77-81...Sgt)

It was the best thing I ever did and many times I wish I never got out. I echo the other fmr Marine's comments above.

The biggest thing, keep your mouth shut and your eyes and ears open. Dont worry too much about the marksmanship stuff. Some of the best qualifiers never held a weapon before (no bad habits to unlearn)

The best thing you can do to prepare is run and do some upper body work. The toughest thing for me was the running.

Keep this in mind....the whole purpose for the lack of sleep, the hard training AND the hard words is to teach you to make decisions and operate under pressure. So dont take it personally.

Once you fully understand why the Marine DI's are being so 'harsh' it makes it easier to take and actually made me accept the challenge. Take the attitude that "keep it comin, I can take anything you can dish out"

At 46...people at work still call me 'The Marine' And I puff up pride everytime they do

BTW... They dont treat you like they did back then any more. Its still tough, but lots more professional.

If you get a chance, watch the series on the Discover Channel

about Marine Boot Camp

Semper Fi:thu:

Thanks a ton for the info. I know it can be the best thing one can do in one's life.

Will learning marksmanship with a different method than the Marines teach actually hinder me?

I like being pushed. I have problems with time management and procrastination. When there is an authority giving me set time frames and working me hard, that's when I perform the best. I used to play football, and had a coach that was an Iron Man and expected everyone else to be (with a former pro -- NY Jets -- assistant coach who was also former Marine Corps) -- needless to say we were worked hard. I don't think I have ever been in better shape, nor do I think I have ever worked that hard or felt that good about myself. Obviously it will be diddly squat to the kind of rigor The Basic School will have, but I think it tells me about my attitude when pushed.

• Members
Originally posted by rememberduane

First, you know very little about me and are making invalid assumptions.

Second, the marines do require martial arts, but it's a very specific combination of different forms if I remember correctly. Marines are the best trained warriors in the world aside from special forces.

It would be idiotic for the government to send an asset like someone with translation abilities away from an Arabic-speaking country.

I will begin practicing my marksmanship.

Thanks.
:rolleyes:

What assumption did i make? I only said you have the "Ares spirit" which is nothing more than an empty figure of speech. Thats what I call civilians who specifically want to enter a theater of war as a soldier to make a difference. Its the exact opposite of the "Taco Spirit" who runs to mexico when the call comes.

I agree that it would be idiotic to send someone who speaks arabic to Guatemala to guard an embassy.

But, Idiotic is what got us into this mess.

• Members

Here's a little advice from a current Army officer, former army recruiter, and a former russian linguist. There is nothing glamorous or romantic about REAL war. Movies, the news, your friends will paint one picture, while reality is very different. I commend you on your desire to do something to contribute to your country, but don't go into this with your eyes anything but wide open. Do not concern yourself with learning anything other than how to listen before boot. Your instructors will make you into a marine their way. Getting into good shape will definitely make it easier. Rifle marksmanship is another skill you will learn there. Don't worry, M-16s are easy to shoot, little to no kick, and it's all a matter of breathing and staying calm. As far as the language skills, if you really want a challenge, and you have an aptitude for language, do yourself a favor and tell the recruiter you want to take the DLAB, the Defense Language Aptitude Battery. This test is given at the MEPS (inprocessing station) and will qualify you to go to language school in Monterey, CA. If you have high enough scores on your entrance tests, you can become a marine linguist, and work in intelligence. Trust me, Arabic is one of the hardest languages on the planet to learn outside of Korean and Mandarin Chineses, but if you got the smarts, not only will you be able to contribute to the mission in a very real way, you will have the bulk of a degree in Arabic. The Defense Language Institute is one of the hardest language schools in existence, but you will never regret it. If you really want a challenge, and still want to be a Marine, some of my best buds at language school were marines, including the marine major who schooled me in military history while we learned russian together. You can IM me for more info. I'll tell you the straight skinny a recruiter might not. I'm currently the S2 (intelligence officer) in the 529th Combat Service Support Battalion out of Virginia Beach, so any questions you've got, I'll be perfectly happy to talk to you about it, and i won't try to sell you on the Army, promise:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by danbronson

It can be pretty trying at times. From ages 7 to 10, I lived in Saudi Arabia on an American compound (this was just after the Gulf War ended). So to a certain extent, I grew up with Muslim Arabs on their home turf. From the little experience I have, I've come to know them as some of the nicest, most sincere, well-intentioned people I've ever met.

So when I come on HC and read about how "those Muslims should all be killed" or whatever, it's all I can do to ignore it. Were I in conversation with someone like that, I'd seriously lose it. I couldn't imagine being in the American military (I'm assuming it's not so bad up here in Canada though).

Dan...in all sincerity and due respect, I'd like to ask you why it is the the rest of the Muslim world won't help fight terrorists that come from the region.

Oh yeah, remeberduane...it's odd...but Ijust heard the service has upped the age to 42. I'm 42. And I had a weird thought.

Odd huh?

• Members

Thats pretty cool that there is an ex recruiter on here. Nothing better than to talk to REAL people about the REAL deal.

I've never served. So I know nothing about it. I just know they want you young, before you really start to think for yourself. Because it's only human nature to "try" to make sense out of life.

But WAR does not make sense, and never will. So they (army, navy, ect, ect.) do NOT need a person that is a moral philosopher.
They want someone to keep their mouth shut, do as you are ordered, and try your best.

Just my 2cents

I know some people it has been great for, and there are others that said it was not for them.

Reguardless
Good Luck with your life
Full_Metal_Jacket_small.jpg
"What the Hell are you laughing at private? Where are you from? Texas!? Holy sheep {censored}. The only things that come from Texas are steers and queers, and you don't look much like a steer to me! I bet you could suck a goofball through a garden hose!"

• Members

Originally posted by 17 Tubes

Dan...in all sincerity and due respect, I'd like to ask you why it is the the rest of the Muslim world won't help fight terrorists that come from the region.

Oh yeah, remeberduane...it's odd...but Ijust heard the service has upped the age to 42. I'm 42. And I had a weird thought.

Odd huh?

You should do it man. Good luck!

• Members

Originally posted by hoax

Here's a little advice from a current Army officer, former army recruiter, and a former russian linguist. There is nothing glamorous or romantic about REAL war. Movies, the news, your friends will paint one picture, while reality is very different. I commend you on your desire to do something to contribute to your country, but don't go into this with your eyes anything but wide open. Do not concern yourself with learning anything other than how to listen before boot. Your instructors will make you into a marine their way. Getting into good shape will definitely make it easier. Rifle marksmanship is another skill you will learn there. Don't worry, M-16s are easy to shoot, little to no kick, and it's all a matter of breathing and staying calm. As far as the language skills, if you really want a challenge, and you have an aptitude for language, do yourself a favor and tell the recruiter you want to take the DLAB, the Defense Language Aptitude Battery. This test is given at the MEPS (inprocessing station) and will qualify you to go to language school in Monterey, CA. If you have high enough scores on your entrance tests, you can become a marine linguist, and work in intelligence. Trust me, Arabic is one of the hardest languages on the planet to learn outside of Korean and Mandarin Chineses, but if you got the smarts, not only will you be able to contribute to the mission in a very real way, you will have the bulk of a degree in Arabic. The Defense Language Institute is one of the hardest language schools in existence, but you will never regret it. If you really want a challenge, and still want to be a Marine, some of my best buds at language school were marines, including the marine major who schooled me in military history while we learned russian together. You can IM me for more info. I'll tell you the straight skinny a recruiter might not. I'm currently the S2 (intelligence officer) in the 529th Combat Service Support Battalion out of Virginia Beach, so any questions you've got, I'll be perfectly happy to talk to you about it, and i won't try to sell you on the Army, promise:thu:

Thank you VERY much. I sent you a PM.

• Members

:D
Why's that?

I have been in the military a long time. I have been around all branchs of the military. I see what they have to put up with and what I put up with and it is two different worlds. I am glad there are men like you who want to join the Army and Marines because that means I did not have to. I have been all over the world. Man you name it and I have been there. The Air Force is more like a regular job. I know that sounds funny but it is true compared to the Army and Marines. For those of you that did not know the Air Force is in Iraq so your skills would be used there also. The Air Force gives you great skills that can be used in the civilian world. I work with alot of prior service Army and Marines. They all had to cross train into a field to work in the Air Force. They were like tank commanders grunts etc. Again I am bias because I am in the Air Force now, 24 years, and I like it. I cannot see myself in another service. I see where the Army sleeps and the Marines sleep and I see where the Air Force sleeps. Man no comparison. I have been billited here.
http://www.flamingo-travel.com/Specialty/Default.asp?SpecID=3&TourID=32
http://www.hardrock.com/locations/cafes3/cafes.aspx?LocationID=81&MenuID=15&MIBEnumID=3
I stayed in the hotel in the pic here
http://www.rota.navy.mil/navsta/
Many more cool places. The Air Force is just a different life style, for me better. It is your decision what ever you decide I am proud of you for deciding to serve your country. If I can help just let me know.

• Members

Will learning marksmanship with a different method than the Marines teach actually hinder me?

It wont hinder you at all, I had an unorthodox off hand (Standing) technique that they kept badgering me to quit...telling me it was not a 'combat stance'. So I would use their method while they were watching, and mine when I qualified.
heh, worked for me, I qualified Expert 4 years in a row :)

Based on what you said about working well under structure
and your expierence with your football coaches, you wount have any problems at all, you will make a fine Marine.

Also, VERY good advice from the Army Officer above. Another thing that a lot of your bleeding heart anti-military pukes dont know or wont admit. Some of the most intelligent, most educated people in the world are in the US Military. A smart and hard working individual can go very far and have oportunities that will never be available to the general public.

• Members

I fully recommend making as much academic progress as possible.

Studying Marine history, American history and Arabic are excellent tools to use, but I'd also study Middle Eastern history and Islam. The more you know, the better equipped you'll be to deal with the Iraqi people, which is a much bigger part of the political side of it than you might think. Iraq is sharply divided by religious lines within Islam. Know as much as you can about this.

Archived