I was a fool...

carbon111

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Gosh Doug, that's awfully nice of you.
:wave:

...but I haven't recorded MIDI for about 15 years. Don't really have any use for it other than rhythm sync.
:idk:

Ah well. Here's a noodle on Pianoteq. Starts similarly to yours then wanders. I'm trying here to emphasise its very responsive resonance. This is my standard patch, which has no reverb but it's in Werkmeister III temperament.

noodle

Bottom line is that fake pianos are getting better and better.

• Members

Relevant thread:
http://www.native-instruments.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120907

Yep, AK doesn't behave like a real piano does.
:p

Well it SOUNDS a hell of a lot more like a real piano than Pianoteq's synthy concoction - and I find it plays just as well as pianoteq (IMO - of which there are many, especially when it comes to pianos)

• Members

Ah well. Here's a noodle on Pianoteq. Starts similarly to yours then wanders. I'm trying here to emphasise its very responsive resonance. This is my standard patch, which has no reverb but it's in Werkmeister III temperament.

Thanks!

I mostly like it...but there is definitely a weird inharmonic/metallic aspect to the hammer sound throughout that is very "unpianolike" and ultimately spoils it for me.

Can the sound of the hammer strike be tweaked?

• Members

here's an example i recorded a little while ago to showcase alicia's keys in a review at sc: http://tinyurl.com/2vp6u6y

about macbook pro's i set the buffer in logic to 128 and turned off "sympathetic resonances" in alicia's keys settings. this seems to be the best settings i've found for smooth playing. i guess there is the odd cpu spike tho so for live use might not be totally bullet proof

• Members

This thread provoked me to load up NI's New York Grand and play it for quite a while. Really, very nice for a softie, especially at

I then loaded up several the monstrous "German Grand" samples that come with MachFive 2. I had previously been quite enamored with these. Now, not so much.

I just spent a half hour playing the 128 MB "Stereo Grand 4-Way" piano that now comes with the Korg M3 Expanded models. I have to say that (for my ears at least) hardware still trumps software. And the grand piano I played yesterday in the new Motif XF may be even a bit more to my taste than that in the M3.

I really, really want to embrace software instruments. Maybe I need to invest in something like Synthogy's Ivory or the Quantum Leap pianos (and get another disk drive while I'm at it).

• Members

@keybdwizrd

one thing that seems to make a difference is investing in converters. hardware gives u the sound of their converters and a mysterious process with dynamics that seems to sound better especially while ur playing a synth.

i invested in apogee converters a few years ago and that seems to have payed dividends. it sounds really different to my ears even with headphones compared to the regular outputs on my laptop. in a blind test i wouldn't be able to tell which is which but at least psychologically it seems to be more clear sounding.

plus i think there's an msg stage at the very end for many digital synth manufacturers like access, korg, etc that give their synths certain eq boosts and compression/limiting just before the output. at least with these effects on the master bus in logic i can approximate the sound

• Members

This thread provoked me to load up
and play it for quite a while. Really, very nice for a softie, especially at

I then loaded up several the monstrous "
" samples that come with MachFive 2. I had previously been quite enamored with these. Now, not so much.

I just spent a half hour playing the 128 MB "Stereo Grand 4-Way" piano that now comes with the
models. I have to say that (for my ears at least) hardware still trumps software. And the grand piano I played yesterday in the new
may be even a bit more to my taste than that in the M3.

I really, really want to embrace software instruments. Maybe I need to invest in something like
or the
(and get another disk drive while I'm at it).

I used to be a huge hardware synth proponent...

That is until I bought EWQL Pianos (24bit) Edition.

It's probably the worst resource hog of both CPU and RAM usage

and for a while it *was* my go to piano library....

Enter Alicia's Keys.

What this piano brings to the table is a dynamic sound

that has its own character...it also sounds beautiful *dry*

without any sort of reverb (that most Piano VSTi's) use or

even require. Quantum Leap pianos can never be said to be dry

even without the Convo reverb and even with say the close mic position.

The thing with VSTi's that I've encountered: it's all programming

and Mr Scarbee has got to be the leading expert on this subject?

Well, I can tell you guys that I'd rather play AK's than QL Pianos.

In fact my QL library seems almost useless since.

(I still like the Bosi)

What I want to get is VSL's Bosi because I've heard

what it can do and it blew me away.

***On a side note, here:

-http://www.acousticsamples.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=&products_id=29

I'm hoping to get this one when I get the funds.

Archived