stocking up on Tolex???

Themetallikid

• Members

Originally posted by Themetallikid

how much do I need to order, its $24 per yard at mojomusicsupply.com, if I want to recover my 4x12 and my amp as well.

know any better sources to buy this from?

What kind of adhesive is best?

I usually buy my Tolex from Doug Jenkins ,his price is $16.00 per yard and he gets $21.00 for grille cloth.

There is some tips on appling Tolex as well as some info on the best glue to use here, Tolex Tutorial

Good Luck with your project...

• Members

mojo looks pretty decent for prices I found some other online places and they seem pretty fair.

I guess I'm looking for more instructions for a newb at this. I did a search on the forums here and found some guides, but with the massive pictures and such I can't print them off very easily...and I can't work on my cab where my computer is...

any help there?

how do I measure my cab for tolex? just measure the h x w x d?

• Members

Originally posted by Themetallikid

any help there?

how do I measure my cab for tolex? just measure the h x w x d?

Yes that's pretty much it.

Remeber the Tolex is 54" wide so cut in half that's 27" so USUALLY you can use 1/2 width to do the sides of the cabinet. Usually the back panel on a 4x12 takes the biggest single piece.

What kind of cabinet are you covering?

I assume your AMP is a head. That dosen't reallytake a lot of material.

• Members

Themetalkid,

Here is the info you requested in your PM to me.

Tolex info part 1

Tolex Application

This is simply how I Do Tolex projects. This is not intended to be the definitive method, but rather what has worked for me so far. There are probably a hundred different ways to do this, so take this at face value.

There are three photo albums that accompany this text if you print them and this text and use it as a guide when doing your work it may be helpful, especially to the first timer. For the photo albums it is a good idea to use the "Thumbnail" and the "Show All" toggles at the top of the pages for easier viewing and printing.

Materials:

I use DAP Contact Cement. There is also a water-soluble product that I understand works well but costs much more. Either Product requires adequate Ventilation. I use two box fans in a "Push Pull" configuration. There are some spray products on the market but they are a pain to work with, and set very fast. The best solvent to use is Mineral Spirits, it cleans brushes and spills, as well as hands. I like to use cheap disposable Brushes, and a 3" trim roller for large surfaces. These are available in most home centers, like Home Depot, or any hardware store. Wax Paper is great to cover anything that you don

Archived