I want an SD80 back!

ratter

• Members

Anybody got a line on one? I put my 1959HW up for sale/trade on The Gear Page. Much as I love it, I just don't ever get the chance to play it these days because of the volume. My wife said something about deafening our poor children blah blah blah. :rolleyes::mad: :mad: :D

Any of you SD80 owners that might be interested in a trade, let me know. Or if you've seen any good deals on one lately, also please let me know.

• Members

Originally posted by Cibyl

Found one on Ebay:

I'll keep my eyes peeled Mikey,..good luck!

Bill

I've been watching that one - looks like it's been relisted a couple of times, cheaper each time. Ideally I'd find one in that $1100-1300 sweet spot that shows up from time to time!! I need to sell my Marshall first or trade it, though. Lest I get my ass divorced....

• Members

Originally posted by hivedestruction

I just barely got my SD80 on Monday and I've spent at least 3 1/2 hours every day playing it. I can't stop. It's kind of like an unhealthy addiction at this point. Buuuuut if I ever decide to let her go, I'm sure this is the place that will be first to know.

Not 'this place' ....ME :D

• Members

Originally posted by Randy Van Sykes

Have you tried the "boost the frontend/Hotplate" approach to tame the Marshall down?

Oh yeah. I mean, you can get some good tones running the amp totally clean and using pedals. But I prefer to have the amp set to 7 or higher. At that volume, even -16 on the hotplate is LOUD.

I thought about a master volume, but I'm afraid it'll kill the tones I like.

It's also a bit of a cash grab, too. If I can find an SD80 for ~$1200 and pocket the difference from selling the Marshall, that would be a good thing right now...

• Members
Originally posted by ratter

Oh yeah. I mean, you can get some good tones running the amp totally clean and using pedals. But I prefer to have the amp set to 7 or higher. At that volume, even -16 on the hotplate is LOUD.

It's also a bit of a cash grab, too. If I can find an SD80 for ~$1200 and pocket the difference from selling the Marshall, that would be a good thing right now...

You already know you like the SD80...so good luck in getting a good deal on one. ;)

• Members

Vlad said the same thing to me for many months before he finally installed the PPIMV. It will not kill your tone and if you like it loud, you can still use a hotplate in conjunction with the MV and it will kill. It will also sound much better IMHO.

I will not play an old S/L/plexi without it.

• Members

Originally posted by gainfreak

Vlad said the same thing to me for many months before he finally installed the PPIMV. It will not kill your tone and if you like it loud, you can still use a hotplate in conjunction with the MV and it will kill. It will also sound much better IMHO.

I will not play an old S/L/plexi without it.

Vlad's sounds great for the kinds of tones he gets (which are somewhat the tones I like too) but I've never heard a MV amp that cops the hendrix/plankton type sounds. Those are the tones I'm worried about killing, because those are the tones that the HW does better than the SD. If it diminishes those tones, then it kinda defeats the purpose of the HW. And again, there's the cash issue.

That's my thinking anyway, but I can appreciate what you're saying...and I'm still chewing on the rich mod idea...

• Members

Vlad's sounds great for the kinds of tones he gets (which are somewhat the tones I like too) but I've never heard a MV amp that cops the hendrix/plankton type sounds. Those are the tones I'm worried about killing, because those are the tones that the HW does better than the SD. If it diminishes those tones, then it kinda defeats the purpose of the HW. And again, there's the cash issue.

That's my thinking anyway, but I can appreciate what you're saying...and I'm still chewing on the rich mod idea...

It can get that sound bro. Vlad is also using a maxon which humps up the gain. If you do the the PPIMV and crank the amp a bit in conjunction with a hotplate you will have the plankton sound. The cool thing about the mod is that it is reversable should you decide to sell the amp anyway. You really should try it before you off the amp.!

Best of luck!!

• Members

Anybody got a line on one? I put my 1959HW up for sale/trade on The Gear Page. Much as I love it, I just don't ever get the chance to play it these days because of the volume. My wife said something about deafening our poor children blah blah blah.
:rolleyes::mad:
:mad:
:D

Any of you SD80 owners that might be interested in a trade, let me know. Or if you've seen any good deals on one lately, also please let me know.

Rich Mod + Hotplate. I changed the Rich mod a bit. I upped the 220k resistors to 470k, that way if I max the MV it's out of the circuit.

Like Ralph said, I have my OD808 on almost all the time so that's NOT what the amp sounds like all the time. With the modified Rich Mod and Hotplate, it sounds like itself without the Rich mod (to me anyway)... Perhaps I'm part of the infamous Tinnitus + Tendonitis crowd... ;):D

• Members

Originally posted by vlad

Rich Mod + Hotplate. I changed the Rich mod a bit. I upped the 220k resistors to 470k, that way if I max the MV it's out of the circuit.

Like Ralph said, I have my OD808 on almost all the time so that's NOT what the amp sounds like all the time. With the modified Rich Mod and Hotplate, it sounds like itself without the Rich mod (to me anyway)... Perhaps I'm part of the infamous Tinnitus + Tendonitis crowd...
;):D

Hey, I was starting to think you died! :D

• Members

This doesn't surprise me- when I first got on this forum years ago, I remember your SD80 clips. I always associate you with that amp.

I'm playing a '73 Superlead now and going the pedal route. Just ordered a Budda Zenman for it.

Just a heads up- Budda is selling some brand new Zenmans with minor blems on ebay for 129.00! They were 169 on there last week- glad I waited.

Any experience with it?

Archived