VOX AD30VT... tube? or solid state?

GRAF

• Members
Originally posted by Rushfan2112

One tube in the preamp, SS poweramp. I'd say it's a solid state amp, because I prefer tube power distortion over heavy tube preamp distortion.

Wrong. One 12ax7 tube in the power section using both sides to power a very small actual power amp section with an attenuator. The single from this tube power section is then fed to the 30 watt "slave" SS power amp section, which powers the speaker.

• Members

Neither, they're modellers. Solid state, hybrids and tube amps are analog. The valvetronix stuff forms the sound in a digital preamp. It uses a tube on the back end of the preamp to simulate the response of a tube power amp, then uses a SS power amp to make it loud.

• Members
Originally posted by GCDEF

Neither, they're modellers. Solid state, hybrids and tube amps are analog. The valvetronix stuff forms the sound in a digital preamp. It uses a tube on the back end of the preamp to simulate the response of a tube power amp, then uses a SS power amp to make it loud.

I'll still argue the last part with you. The tube section has its own small output tranny and everything. I don't consider that to be part of the preamp section. Also, the amp uses tube, SS, and digital technology to shape its sound. How is that not a hybrid?

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

I'll still argue the last part with you. The tube section has its own small output tranny and everything. I don't consider that to be part of the preamp section. Also, the amp uses tube, SS, and digital technology to shape its sound. How is that not a hybrid?

Carefully Tbone. You going to move up further on the asshat list :D Here is the story ...

http://www.voxamps.co.uk/products/valvetronix/vtoverview_inside_story.htm

I agree, I think it is hybrid also.

• Members

It's an amp with a tube in it.

:p

Seriously, I'd consider it a hybrid. From what I understand it takes a 12ax tube and uses it to simulate the powersection of a tube amp.

What I do know is they sound really good for warm lower gain and clean tube tones. Some of the higher gain/lead distortion sounds weren't bad either.

• Members

My understanding is that the tube still outputs line level, which makes it part of the preamp. It's there to shape the sound and to simulate a tube output sound, but doesn't make it louder as far as I know.

As I said, hybrid to me implies analog, with a tube preamp and SS power amp, or the other way around. Since the lion's share of the tone shaping comes from the digital processor, it doesn't fit the classic definition of a hybrid to me. It's still a modeller with a SS power section. It just happens to use a tube to do part of its modelling too.

• Members

Originally posted by Mr. Brady

It's an amp with a tube in it.

:p

Seriously, I'd consider it a hybrid. From what I understand it takes a 12ax tube and uses it to simulate the powersection of a tube amp.

It's probably not worth arguing about but Marshall Artists, Music Man, Marshall Valve States, those are hybrids. The inner working of the Vox is completely different from those amps.

• Members

Regardless of what it is. It gets some really good tones. At least the VTH versions. I think the VT is quite a step down from what I read and hear from people. Some of those modelas are really good and the effects are excellent.

They really missed the boat a bit with these tho. They could have been near perfect with just a bit of work from the manufacturer. Its not anything with the tones & sounds, just some programming & flexibilty issues in order to be 100% stand alone & powerful.

• Members

from the vox site: It also ensures that the output signal maintains the high dynamic range associated with traditional valve amps- something most solid-state amplifiers simply cannot deliver,

Don't they have this backwards ? I thought that the slight lack of dynamic range (compression, sag, distortion) is what everyone likes about tube output sections, and is missing from solid state output sections. (scratching head...)

• Members

Originally posted by musicdog400

Don't they have this backwards ? I thought that the slight lack of dynamic range (compression, sag, distortion) is what everyone likes about tube output sections, and is missing from solid state output sections. (scratching head...)

The Tube is used in the output section. It recreates the negative or positive feedback & rectifier circuits to xreate that dynamic range of compression, sag, etc. If you get a chance to try one do this:

Choose the 4x10 Tweed Model

VRGAIN: 9.0 to 10.0

Bass: 0.0

Dial in everything else to taste.

Feel the sag and enormous bass response of an amp with a zero on the bass. Thats some amazing sh!t...!!!

• 1 month later...
  • Members

i think it gets the best of both worlds, because it is certainly louder (well, it can go louder without horrible breakup) than most completely solid state amps, yet is cheap and has good quality digital fx. If this actually was an all-tube amp it would cost far, far more. vox are misleading people slightly in claiming it's a tube amp, but i think that it's justified in the sound quality they provide, it's definitely a step up from a solid state amp.

It is a decent amp, but i just wish it came with a decent number of preset channels, i am now finding it simply unusable for anything other than recording, rehearsal with my band and bedroom practice. I should have got a Fender Blues Junior and just invested in quality fx, that would have been the better long-term strategy.

Archived