Korg 01w or N364 for soundtrack music ?

OPEN OCEAN

• Members

One a side note, I was told by Kinny Landrum (the synth/keyboard player on Angelo Badalamenti's soundtrack to "Twin Peaks") that Angelo used the Korg 01 "Analog String Pad" sound a lot back in the '90's, like on The Actor's Studio theme for instance.

• Members

dunno how any of the ROMpler Korgs go in the same sentence with "soundtrack". well, not in my experience at least. only one that applies, for certain ambient cinematic atmospheres and suspenses, is Wavestation. of course it's avail in software too, so if youre using VSTis that is something to consider. otherwise, looking at other older/cheap digital synths for original sounds and programming capability, there are many more i'd look into before something like N series korg.. matix6/1000, ensoniq esq-1, microwave, mks70, emax se, tx802, fs1r etc,,

perhaps the first suggestion (for matrix) is the best one. analog in general, is a type of sound you don't have covered with your ITB stuff at all. and will bring a nice, fresh alternative to your VSTi mixes.

my 0.02

• Members

...and the Matrix has good modulation capabilities on top of being analog... I still think it will give a much better Jan Hammer type sound than any digital rompler.

but it seems the OP is set on those Korgs - maybe because they are cheap and available in Greece?

Usually nothing is cheap and available in Greece...:D

• Members

perhaps the first suggestion (for matrix) is the best one. analog in general, is a type of sound you don't have covered with your ITB stuff at all. and will bring a nice, fresh alternative to your VSTi mixes.

So you like the sound of the matrix but not of the prophet 08? Hard to understand, sorry...

• Members

Post Miami Vice era, Jan Hammer has been a huge user of Korg instruments. T3, 01/w, Wavestation, Trinity, Tritons, Z1, Prophecy etc etc. He has used Korg synths more than anything, not counting the software instruments he's been working with over the last few years. The Beyond The Mind's Eye soundtrack, released in 92 or 93, was almost exclusively made with Korg romplers. He has a very close professional relationship with Korg, even having them customize some of his instruments for him at times. In short: The Jan Hammer sound 1990-2010 = Korg more than anything. And romplers in particular. Prior to that: what everybody is always talking about, ie the Minimoogs, Memorymoogs, JP8, Fairlights, DX7s, D-50, Linndrum, K1 K3, K5, Lynx controller, Rhodes piano, Oberheim 2 voice, Oberheim Ring Modulator etc

• Members

BTW, I would get the N364, unless the price is really stupid. Those old 01/Ws really do sound old now, and not just in the sense that they're extremely dated. The units I've heard over the last few years sound dirty and grungy and aged and lo-fi. The N364 will be dated too, but it probably sounds a bit cleaner. Also, the buttons on the 01/W crap out, that may or may not be a problem with the N364. I've always had a huge soft spot for the 01/W, but I think that synth in some respects is past its use by date by now - unfortunately.

• Members

Post Miami Vice era, Jan Hammer has been a huge user of Korg instruments. T3, 01/w, Wavestation, Trinity, Tritons, Z1, Prophecy etc etc. He has used Korg synths more than anything, not counting the software instruments he's been working with over the last few years. The Beyond The Mind's Eye soundtrack, released in 92 or 93, was almost exclusively made with Korg romplers. He has a very close professional relationship with Korg, even having them customize some of his instruments for him at times. In short: The Jan Hammer sound 1990-2010 = Korg more than anything. And romplers in particular. Prior to that: what everybody is always talking about, ie the Minimoogs, Memorymoogs, JP8, Fairlights, DX7s, D-50, Linndrum, K1 K3, K5, Lynx controller, Rhodes piano, Oberheim 2 voice, Oberheim Ring Modulator etc

Ah. You're probably right. I really just know Jan's 80s stuff. I should get more educated...

Still, Open Ocean seems to have 90s synths covered already...

• Members

i have a photo that haunts me since i was really starting all these with music...Phil Collins of Genesis holding a Korg 01w/fd in an ad of that era,so i guess this is mainly a psychological trauma that needs to find cure,thats the main reason i insist on these 2 and especially the 01w,01w/fd hahahahaha

• Members

waow i think i'm going to make a beat with my O1w/fd right now 11! i've been firing up my gears from then lately like my dp/4, tx7 and d550. the allan's run patch is one of my favorite/worst electric guitar sounds evar lol

oh ya, and phil collins sux

• Members

The Jan Hammer sound 1990-2010 = Korg more than anything. And romplers in particular. Prior to that: what everybody is always talking about, ie the Minimoogs, Memorymoogs, JP8, Fairlights, DX7s, D-50, Linndrum, K1 K3, K5, Lynx controller, Rhodes piano, Oberheim 2 voice, Oberheim Ring Modulator etc

Afaik Hammer used a Bode frequency shifter with his Rhodes (for example; on the The First Seven Days the melodies were done through the Bode). Back in the '70's he was also using a Freeman string symphonizer w/Moog string filter, Polymoog, mellotron, Oberheim 4-voice, Oberheim DS-2 digital sequencer and last but not least, a Probe portable keyboard controller, which he used with an Oberheim 6-voice system and a Minimoog.

• Members

I haven't played 01/W either, so I can't comment on D/A differences and such. NS5R was my first synth and I think the sound is gorgeous
:love:
so difference in sound quality will be very, very personal, IMHO.

The sound engine is the same (AI2), but N series adds a lot of PCM data, as I've said before. N1R, N1 and N5EX add resonance as an effect (could be very important). Interface (according to Sound on Sound review) has been improved on the later N models.

I'm buying an N1R now on top of my NS5R and I think they're awesome, awesome synths
:thu:
but 01/W sounds very good as well, from the demos I have heard.

Do you program from the hardware or a software editor? I had a Korg N1 for awhile when released and what did I miss? Stock sounds OK, bread and butter sounds...I used it mainly as 88 note controller..

Archived