Want to "thicken up" my Jackson RR-1T, ideas?

guitarist17

• Members

My USA RR-1T is my favorite guitar, no doubt about it. but every time I play it, and then pick up my LP, the LP is just a thicker, heavier, and bassier guitar in general. I'm no idiot, i understand why this is( woods used, thickness, body style etc) but is there anyway to get anywhere near the LP thickness with a jackson RR-1T? I don't have a floyd, so i think that helps a bit. The JB-4 I think is a pretty thick sounding pickup, but maybe im just used to it, and it's really not? who knows. :confused: What would be my best bridge pickup options for my RR-1T? Thanks guys.

chris

• Members

Originally posted by mparsons

The JB is apretty thin sounding pickup

Try a SD Invader or an EMG 85/89.

juuuh?

i think the invader is brighter than the jb.

hes trying to darken it up it sounds.

also, no matter what you do, you're gunna have to set your amps eq section differently for the rr-1 than how you set it for the paul since they're 2 very different sounding axes.

• Members

Originally posted by voodoopower

poplar, my RR1 has a SD Distortion pickup and frankly its too fat. Im going to look for something less huge. Still it has a certain low mid growl that is stunning.

Straight from Jackson's site:

RR1T Rhoads

• Members

Originally posted by Nick Kay

Dimarzio Breed. Fattest pickup ever made.

i was gunna suggest that too, but depending on the guitar its not always super duper fat.

i have them in my rga121, and i love em, but they were definitly fatter in the gibson dc standard i used to have.

great all around, versitle pick up though, for sure.

• Members

hmmm....lots of opinions flying around here.

hard to try out all these pickups, as i dont have access to guitars with these in them....i have ALWAYS heard the SD invader is muddy, so i have a psychological angst against it i guess, i guess I would have to try one out though. the Duncan custom gets thrown around alot, maybe I would like that. i want something thats tight, although it doesnt matter much because of my rig i guess ( read: VHT :D) whats this breed you guys speak of? that doesnt get much talk around here :D. leads do kind of sound thin at times on the JB, but it is mostly on rhythms that it is bothering. thanks.

Chris

• Members

I got much fatter tones out of my alder DK2 when I used the Duncan Custom 5 and the Dimarzio Super Distortion. Really close to as thck as my mahogany PRS se with a Custom custom Sh-11 in the bridge. If you dig Emg's an 85 in the bridge can be a very nice thick as well as Ive found the 81 to be thinner and a bit ice picky IMO.
Lots of good suggestions so far though and really you have a lot to sift through. Good luck.

• Members

What amp are you abusing?

I used the duncan Invader for years! Fantastic little pickup with the right amp. But now I'm a powerball player and everyone keeps telling me "Do you know Tom from Cunt182 uses that pickup", I ditched it years ago.

Still trying to find my pup of choice. Right now I'm really digging my mates evolution on his Jackson so getting one in for my axe too. Its only a harmony LP at the moment lol.

Recently I had the duncan custom and a duncan jb. Not liking either one with the powerball.

• Members

The Invader is {censored}, it will not cut at all in a band situation. Dimarzios in general are a bit darker so you might be better off putting something like a tone zone or super D in there, the invader is straight up mud when I had it in a strat

• Members

Originally posted by J Bone

The Invader is {censored}, it will not cut at all in a band situation. Dimarzios in general are a bit darker so you might be better off putting something like a tone zone or super D in there, the invader is straight up mud when I had it in a strat

The Invader isn't that bad - but again depends on axe and amp. I doubt I would put an invader into a strat either, but there you go.

Jon

• Members

i have 2 strats both with the invader in the bridge position and dimarzio hs-3's in neck and middle positions. The invader is the best pickup ever for an alder body axe, and yes, it does cut through in a band situation lol... i play about 2 gigs per week and always pickup my strats, they sound almost as thick as a les paul without the weight and the huge neck.

I'm using an ENGL blackmore EQ'd bass 7 mids 10 treble 3 presence 3, gain from 2 to 7 max, into a greenback 4x12.

We play hard rock ACDC, Dio, Iron Maiden, Europe, Skid Row...

I'm sure that everyone saying the invader is only mud can't eq an amp or uses too much gain. The invader is a very hot pickup, more output than an EMG for sure but still with the passive flavour i like. I had a jackson SL1 with a JB in the bridge and it was nice sounding but a bit thin for rythm, yes.

To each his own. :wave:

Archived