So I decided to do an NS-2/ Decimator Comparison

Kyle DiSanto

• Members

The Decimator Kills the NS-2.

Here is my signal chain:

Guitar ->Maxon OD 808 -> Decimator -> Amp

Or the same, with the Maxon in the Ns-2's loop and then normally chained.

Then straight into the amp, no pedals...and then back to the decimator setup.

The decimator not only cuts down the noise levels...AT All Times, but the sound was also noticeably tighter as well as clearer, compared to the ns-2.

The NS-2 sounded looser in the low end dept....more "flubby" and it also had more noise when I was playing.

I used an NS-2 for several years before I got a Decimator about 1.5 years ago from Derekb. I have never looked back, and used the ns-2 very seldom with my smaller "B" rig for smaller/crappy gigs where I didn't want to lug my Cobra and Effects Rack.

FWIW, I do not play metal all the time anymore, In Fact I am more into straight up Hard Rock/Industrial/Experimental and everything to Jazz, Power-POP, to Hip-Hop, what ever....

So if there is anyone out there who thinks this pedal is just for Metal or the more aggressive styles, do not fear! It is a great pedal which works well for all styles.

PEACE

• Members

Originally posted by thefyn

Have you tried it in the loop? You get dead silence that way. In front you still hear the amp hiss a little when in high gain mode.

Which pedal? THe ns-2?

The cobra's loop doesn't take well to pedals in its stock form, so i can't try that unfortunately. I have never been a fan of gates in the loop though. Did it with my old 5150 several times and just couldn't get a sound I was looking for - not nocking it, just not for me.

With that said, in front of an amp, the decimator wins.

• Members

@ROTINPAIN: did you compare them in terms of stopping feedback?
eventhough i tried a lot of things i still have feedback problems with my cobra even on lower volumes. (eg on the lead with gain:1.30 chanvol: 2, master: 8.30, effect mix: 12, bass: 11, deep: 9, all others on 12 its already sqealing with my guitar vol dimed)

i got an ns-2 (best i can get in germany) and it just didnt kill the feedback. it seemed to me that the feedback built up to quickly for the ns-2 to step in.

so i sent the ns-2 back and i really wanna try a decimator but i'd have to import it so i wanna be sure if it would do the job better before spending the $.

• Members

Originally posted by monkeysuit

@ROTINPAIN: did you compare them in terms of stopping feedback?

eventhough i tried a lot of things i still have feedback problems with my cobra even on lower volumes. (eg on the lead with gain:1.30 chanvol: 2, master: 8.30, effect mix: 12, bass: 11, deep: 9, all others on 12 its already sqealing with my guitar vol dimed)

i got an ns-2 (best i can get in germany) and it just didnt kill the feedback. it seemed to me that the feedback built up to quickly for the ns-2 to step in.

so i sent the ns-2 back and i really wanna try a decimator but i'd have to import it so i wanna be sure if it would do the job better before spending the $.

That's why I bought mine and it does a great job with it. At about half way up or a little shy of that I get no feedback at all and it's plenty quiet for a band setting.

• Members

Originally posted by Sordid1

That's why I bought mine and it does a great job with it. At about half way up or a little shy of that I get no feedback at all and it's plenty quiet for a band setting.

I would agree with this statement for your question monkeysuit. I have also found that if you are running hot and/or noisy pickups, such will contribute to the squealing as well.

Bottom, line, the decimator simply does the job better.

• Members

well i'm usually running an emg81 which is hot but not noisy.
i tried to set it as far away from the strings as possible so it was lower than the pickup frame and it still feedbacked. same with the passive humbucker in my peavey tracer.

i'm just gonna give the isp a try. if it doesnt work out i can most likely sell it in germany without losing any money....

• Members

well i'm usually running an emg81 which is hot but not noisy.

i tried to set it as far away from the strings as possible so it was lower than the pickup frame and it still feedbacked. same with the passive humbucker in my peavey tracer.

i'm just gonna give the isp a try. if it doesnt work out i can most likely sell it in germany without losing any money....

Give it a try man. Once you find the sweet spot on the pedal(only one knob lol, so its not hard at all!) you will be in love.

Also, why not do a micro phonic test, to see if any of your tubes are causing the squealing. My jackson has the 81/85 setup and I run an maxon boost before the gate and I really don't find squealing to be much of a problem.

Help!I'maRock!: The decimator kills more noise than the ns-2 without sacrificing tone.

• Members

Originally posted by ROTINPAIN

Give it a try man. Once you find the sweet spot on the pedal(only one knob lol, so its not hard at all!) you will be in love.

Also, why not do a micro phonic test, to see if any of your tubes are causing the squealing. My jackson has the 81/85 setup and I run an maxon boost before the gate and I really don't find squealing to be much of a problem.

already did, tubes are all good (all stock eh) think i just like to play with too much gain. when i reduce the gain to 1.30 on the crunch i can play at band volume without squealing but its not the sound i want.

it sounds good when playing chords but especially on single note palm mutes it sounds too weak for me.

• Members

already did, tubes are all good (all stock eh) think i just like to play with too much gain. when i reduce the gain to 1.30 on the crunch i can play at band volume without squealing but its not the sound i want.

it sounds good when playing chords but especially on single note palm mutes it sounds too weak for me.

Well this should kill whatever feedback you have going on.

Archived