amp building info wanted....

Themetallikid

• Members

There is a guy in the local area here that wants to build his own amp. I wont get into specifics about him cause I dont know him that well, but a couple people pointed him to me to discuss the tone/concept of what to all include in the amp and all. All I know is that he has some sort of degree in electrical something or other...

...anyway...I was thinking the other day about the dual amp setup I used to use and wondered if it was possible to achieve within a single amp.

I was thinking of an amp that would have a mono/stereo switch for the input/power sections.

A 4 channel amp (clean, crunchy, heavy, and ballsy) that would allow you to setup possibly 4 presets where you could store patches of your settings.

Your settings could be either all single amps or a blend of two preamps.

The power section would similar but less confusing, where there would be a switch where you could choose between a mono output or a stereo output.

I know this would be a pain to build I'm guessing....

...but is it feasible???

• Members

Anyone interested in building amps should check out www.ax84.com . It is the definitive site for learning about building amps. There are projects, various how-to documents, and a BBS full of knowledgable people who will tell you that the design you describe, while possible (maybe), would be a terrible choice for a first (or second, or third) amp to build, even for an EE.

First-time builders would be much better served by trying something simple with a modest number of gain stages. Otherwise its liable to wind up an expensive, noisy, half-finished pile of parts in his garage.

• Members
Originally posted by herobiscuit

They have not taught tube tech in school since the 60s. AX84 is a good start tho. So is the NAVY

:wave:

True. My point was that his friend was unlikely to succeed at such a project regardless of his training.

I've got an aquaintance who is a retired NCSU EE professor. I've tried to talk to him about tubes, amplifiers, etc. He just shakes his head & says "Its been 40 years."

• Members

the amp you're asking for would be extremely complex to build and very expensive. I'd really suggest looking for a mass produced equivalent and perhaps modifying that. Start simple and work up, going for the gold in electronics work will only get you a bunch of lead. Unless your in a RoSH area in which case it will be lead free but still a major PITA

• Members

Originally posted by kannibul3

Anything is possible if you throw enough money at it.

I'm sure some "amp designers" will tell you that too, hoping you'll throw more and more cash at them.

The actual most likely case is that the build would be too complex for the man to build by hand, and even if not it means it would probably end up being too costly for the person to want to buy.

Archived