New Roland Fantom??? (in German)

Bach42t

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

They are charging allot for them but they may be laying them out in four channels in the synth to spread read speed or some other advantage..

Two totally different kinds of memories.

RAM/ROM/EPROM/EEPROM/flash ROM - random access memory, i.e. CPU/APU can access every byte in the memory bank at the same low latency (nanoseconds) by sending its adress to the address bus, wide CPU data bus (64-128-192-256 bits)

External memory (SSD, flash memory card, hard disk, floppy disk, punch card reader) - block access memory, i.e. can only read by blocks (sectors) to a buffer in RAM for CPU/APU to access, need to parse file system first to find the correct block; narrow (16-32 bits) peripheral bus, not directly connected to CPU data bus

• Members

Sorry, no memory card is able to hold up to RAM/ROM speeds, save to reliably stream hundreds of voices. Take your time and look through some thorough tests which measure IO operations per second in random access patterns, besides vanilla sequential read speed.

Two totally different kinds of memories.

RAM/ROM/EPROM/EEPROM/flash ROM - random access memory, i.e. CPU/APU can access every byte in the memory bank at the same low latency (nanoseconds) by sending its adress to the address bus, wide CPU data bus (64-128-192-256 bits)

External memory (SSD, flash memory card, hard disk, floppy disk, punch card reader) - block access memory, i.e. can only read by blocks (sectors) to a buffer in RAM for CPU/APU to access, need to parse file system first to find the correct block; narrow (16-32 bits) peripheral bus, not directly connected to CPU data bus

the datasheet said block data.. sorry to disapoint you

• Members

You are looking at a different data sheet. The one I saw is for the whole chip number.

This is the official technical document posted on the manufacturer's site; online parts catalogs hold an exact copy of this document. I don't know what are you looking at, since you didn't bother to provide a link to support your claims.

given the sheet I read led me to believe normal flash I have been graceful in my replies to you.. I also caveat'd what I said by highlighting that Yamaha have made a special layout (suggesting for reasons being discussed) I have not said Yamaha are using ordinary Flash (as in SDHC units)

Bernard, you don't understand how flash cards work. They do use "ordinary" flash ROM chip (or two) inside, however they also contain a peripheral bus controller (essentially an ATA interface) which operates quite differently from a CPU data bus, that is only allows block (sector) read and write operations , and of course multi-chip parallel configurations with wide data buses are only possible with much more expensive SSD-type devices.

but I have said that the latest cards are getting so fast we will have to wait and see what manufacturers who do know what they are doing come out with.

You will never be able to expand your instrument's flash ROM with current consumer-grade flash cards, for all the reasons outlined above, just like you can't expand your computer RAM with USB flash sticks, even if you wanted to.

If and when there will be an industry standard for flash ROM expansion, similar to SIMM/DIMM modules, that will be a whole another story.

• Members

The facts are Roland will not make another workstation! The Fantom G is the last they are going all the way software but they will show (at NAMM 2011) a VR700 combo with two set of keys on it one 76 key bed and one 61 key bed.

• Members

A class 10 card can stream 66 x CD stereo channels thats the equivalent of 132 Poly on a 44.1/16 synth...

No, it can stream one channel that contains as much data as 66x CD stereo channels. But if you want to stream multiple channels simultaneously, the throughput will be much lower, and more importantly - the latency will be nowhere near amounts suitable for real-time musical instruments.

• Members

and of course multi-chip parallel configurations with wide data buses are only possible with much more expensive SSD-type devices.

Not too much more expensive:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227685

This is for an SSD drive, the specs are nice. Don't know how that compares to flash memory prices, perhaps after adding in MFG markups and such its cost is prohibitive.

• Members

No, it can stream
one
channel that contains as much data as 66x CD stereo channels. But if you want to stream multiple channels simultaneously, the throughput will be much lower, and more importantly - the latency will be nowhere near amounts suitable for real-time musical instruments.

Thank you for editting your response, I fear my ''I think'' comments are getting quoted out of proportion of late...

Without designing a synth for the synth designers there are ways around all problems. Mankind is amazing and things get done by those who try..

Drums response is critical and an SP by Roland can stream 12 1/2 channels on a class 2 card... enough said.. there will be ways if people want it..

What I have said is my gut tells me that like all things a synth card upgrade is going to be charged at a higher cost than needed. Some have gagged at the prices of the XF flash... justified...maybe we will never know, if it was me I would keep the price down.. I am not on the marker for the Yam so this to me started as a fun thread and The Audacity Works response to my comments to him make it clear he understood the spirit of what I said.. others seem to want to suggest I am stating fact and should be burnt at the stake for it :rolleyes:

Lets let the manufacturers do the head scratching and keep this place fun and light hearted.. quoting out of context,, not you but another is not really fair...

:wave:

• Members

Citation-Needed-wikipedia-819731_50.jpg

I know it's hard to belive but it's true no more workstations from Roland at all! Your ? Why? My anwser because of Motif sale better like 6 to 1 Fantom G.

Korg will put all they have in a new workstation this time because Motif's out sale them 9 to 1 M3.

Kurzweil will keep working on the K3000 (maybe ready 2013) because the Motif sale 15 to 1 PC3

The Yamaha Motif has out sold all Workstations in last 10 year and I'am not saying it's the better just the top seller by fore.

• Members

I know it's hard to belive but it's true no more workstations from Roland at all! Your ? Why? My anwser because of Motif sale better like 6 to 1 Fantom G.

Korg will put all they have in a new workstation this time because Motif's out sale them 9 to 1 M3.

Kurzweil will keep working on the K3000 (maybe ready 2013) because the Motif sale 15 to 1 PC3

The Yamaha Motif has out sold all Workstations in last 10 year and I'am not saying it's the better just the top seller by fore.

Too bad as Motif is my least favorite of them all =/. Damn romplerists :lol:.

Do you have some source for these numbers?

• Members

So first you say "it's a fact" and then when asked for citation, you say "because I think it is"? :rolleyes:

And where did you get your sales numbers? Out of the same place where you get your "facts"?

• Members

So first you say "it's a fact" and then when asked for citation, you say "because I think it is"?
:rolleyes:

And where did you get your sales numbers? Out of the same place where you get your "facts"?

The numbers don't even prove anything... Even if true.

But I am still interested if they are right.

• Members

The numbers don't even prove anything... Even if true.

But I am still interested if they are right.

IF true it prove Yamaha is better at sales right. IT true but I will not try to prove it.

Some time the best keyboard is not the best at sales.

Yamaha is the Biggest music CO. in the world they know how to sale but you need prove.

Right now Yamaha MO 8 out sales any Roland keyboard.

Archived