Korg M50 Brass Sounds make me Puke

DukeOfBoom

• Members

So I recently purchased the M50, and it's very cool. I'm a guitarist and purchased this as my first synth to add more texture and elements into my songs.

I like the M50 sounds for the most part, except for the BRASS. Every single brass sound is TERRIBLE. I don't even know why they bothered to include them

That sucks b/c I've been getting into a lot of the neo-motown stuff too

:sadpanda:

• Members

I have yet to hear good brass ensemble from any synth. Even sampled ensembles start to sound static because it's the same each and every time.

Maybe they should just replace those patches with puke ensembles.

I actually have one I created on my computer with the bottom half of the keyboard female orgasms and the top-half are wild animal sounds. it's the best. i plan to hook up my MIDI guitar one day to do a rock star solo on stage.

the only decent horns i've heard, but have not played with are the chris heins soft-synth ones. they cost a fortune tho. the arturia BRASS soft synth sucks.

• Members

Excluding the said M50 Brass of which you speak, I think whether horns sound realistic or not, comes down to how they are being played.

It is somewhat comparable to your average keyboard player trying to play guitar on a keyboard, even with the best samples, it never quite sounds convincing(of course there are exceptions).

I have some horns on my Ensoniq VFX-SD that I think sound quite good, and I've lived in Motown my whole life(less military service).:)

• Members

This : :thu:

I think whether horns sound realistic or not, comes down to how they are being played.

+ Wrong use of mono/channel aftertouch for more than one simultaneous note of anything orchestral. Too bad they don't make poly-AT keyboard controllers anymore. :cool:

• Members

Excluding the said M50 Brass of which you speak, I think whether horns sound realistic or not, comes down to how they are being played.

+1

EXACTLY.

There's a real craft to effectively playing convincing brass parts on a keyboard.

Someone who knows what they're doing can produce amazing brass parts with an otherwise mediocre sample.

A great sounding brass patch played like a keyboardist (like me) won't be convincing at all.

• Members

+1

There's a real craft to effectively playing convincing brass parts on a keyboard.

Someone who knows what they're doing can produce amazing brass parts with an otherwise mediocre sample.

A great sounding brass patch played like a keyboardist (like me) won't be convincing at all.

nonsense. don't hate the player, hate the keyboard!

• Members

Abso-freakin-lutely! I've spent all this coin on these stupid things, they're supposed to make me sound like a god! Rich promised me that I'd be King of All Pianos if I bought the SV-1!

You can be the King of all Pianos, just not the King of all Pianists :poke:

• Members

I have yet to hear good brass ensemble from any synth. Even sampled ensembles start to sound static because it's the same each and every time.

I think you really would need a breath control and some modeling along those lines to come close.

Setups like Chris Hein's, where articulations and such are programmed over a MIDI keyboard, allow a greater degree of realism. I would think it would take a fair amount of work to play those, though. You'd have to have some knowledge of how to play a horn in order to make it sound right.

(The same problem exists in many sampled instruments, from violin to electric guitar.)

• Members

I have yet to hear any hardware synth capable of producing a good brass sound emulation when played alone. Recording such instrument in a mix is a different story [you can "trick" many ears if you know how].

Also, you said that you're a guitarist and that this is your first synth. Well, as an acoustic instrument musician, you are asking too much from a machine. It's your instinct and that's understandable. Unless you use some of today's virtual brass instruments on stage, or simply hire a brass player, I don't think you'll achieve semi-perfection or perfection any time soon using a hardware synth.

However, as with any sound, some synths are better than others. Get the Roland XV-5050 and your opinion will change significantly when it comes to brass..and practically any acoustic sound that comes in this machine.

• Members

Call me weird, but I think the best sounding ensemble brass on a hardware synth is analog brass. Just sounds warmer, not necessarily more 'realistic' but warmer like an acoustic instrument. Of course articulation and good keyboarding skills help, but as far as the actual sound, real VCF's help immensely. I always keep at least one polysynth w/ analog filters in my setup just for that specific purpose. A cheap DCO/hybrid with VCF is all that's really needed.

Ensemble brass has always sounded bad on all-digital synths as far back as I can remember, and that hasn't changed. Even my Korg Z1 which excels in so many areas can't do this basic sound convincingly.

Archived