What are some good light metal/rock CD`s to buy for my kids???

BAZGUITARMAN

• Members

I have two young boys that I want to buy music for Christmas. I`ve already bought them both ipods to load it on. Now I just need some music.

They are 11 and 14 years old so I do notwant anything with "bad stuff" in it. No 50 f`bomb songs or satanic/hardcore sex lyrics. Good enjoyable stuff for kids just starting to really like rock and lighter metal.

So far they really like Nickleback, 10 Years, Greenday type stuff. Mainstream, accessable music that`s good to start out with. Something they might hear on a good current listing mixed music station.

Any suggestions would be very, very welcome. Thanks.

Eric

• Members

Audioslave, Wolfmother, Foo Fighters and maybe Velvet Revolver are the first ones to pop into my head. I wouldn't necessarily go recommending Black Sabbath, Metallica or Iron Maiden, because at that age the opinions of others matter quite a lot. Those four bands I've mentioned are somewhat know to even those who dig Britney :). Big popular hard rock legends like Guns'n Roses or Van Halen will probably work too.

• Members

Well, I think kids usually respond to things that are really memorable and sometimes funny. I know this cracked me up back in the day and still does: http://youtube.com/watch?v=c35FZf3Jom4 :D

And the high pitched Roth-esque screeching on this would likely get their attention, and I about can't tell what he's screeching anyway on those parts: http://youtube.com/watch?v=RyMa9W7IfU4

I do like Michaelangelo's playing as well as Disturbed, but a couple of those elements might keep their attention while hearing some technical guitar soloing and in the case of disturbed a bit more modern metal that's pretty good for its genre, IMO. ;)

• Members

Definitely some Ed Gein.:thu:

When I was that age, I listened to Nirvana, Jimi Hendrix and Metallica almost exclusively. I would get them AC/DC - Back In Black, Metallica - Black Album (not Master, start them off easy!) G&R, Led Zep, that kind of thing. It helps if they had an interest in the guitar.

Archived