Swamp Thangs in a JCM800?

kdp86

• Members

So I have a JCM800 2x12 combo that I love, but I run the settings with the treble at 2 or 3, mids at 4 or 5, and bass at 10... So I'm thinking, maybe a "darker" speaker might be a good thing, since I obviously have more than enough highs and mids available in the preamp... I'm currently running 2 G12M70s. What really attracts me to the Swamp Thangs is that I have heard a lot about them having a strong lower midrange, which is the tone I love, that fat but crunchy tone. Should these work well or not? Anyone use these in Marshalls?

• Members

YES!

I like to pretty much dime my mids, turn up the treble... but then my ears crackle. Not cool! It feels geat, but it's too much of a good thing in the end. The swampies tame it down, tremendously.

I need to make some comparisons of them against Cl-80's and V30's in the same cab (well, two recto cabs) to show how damn good they are for recording. All that annoying highend and harshness you always hear in people's clips... well you can spend 2K for a good recording channel or spend 70 bucks on a swampie.

• Members

So it doesn't make it sound un-british, just fatter? That's what I want, I don't like having to keep my highs and mids, especially highs below 5, and my bass at 10... I want a thick, articulate crunch... and I hate cone breakup. Yes? No? Don't care? :)

• Members

If you can break them up then your amp can beat up my dad's amp!

They don't break up, but the lows and mids seem to compress a little.... blooming, not breakup. I would assume the degree of this would depend on the cab dimensions and what the resonant frequency is. Mine are in a recto cab.

I'm determined now. I'm gonna post clips next Monday.

• Members

Originally posted by thesplawnster

One thing that you have to keep in mind is your combo is a open back. I don't know how the swampie's will react to open cabs.

I've got it closed off to about a 3/4 back, but you're right about that... Although what i was hoping is that it would help them breathe a little and emphasize the mids, while staying meaty. I think I'm just gonna go for them... what I want to make sure of is that they aren't really mid scooped or anything like that. Just thick, and meaty. tons of punch.

• Members

Originally posted by peaveyT60

i have one in a 1x12 open back and they are fine. they aren't mid scooped, but rather there are lots of mids, they are just dark and fatter than you are used to. they take away from the british sounds a bit, but sound really good nonetheless.

That's encouraging, because since I set up the preamp at 2 5 10 (TMB), I obviously want a fat, midrange growl sound... Hope these work out, we'll see in a few days, they're on the way!

• Members

why dont u just play bass if u have the bass up to 10?? i want my gtr to scream not moan... i like the 800 series marshalls. I am partial to marshall!

its all in your eq settings my friend because the whole key to sound is "EQ" and thats a fact!

if your cones are breaking up then your specs are wrong. u need speakers with the right specs to handle what u throw at em. the only reason i can think of an open back cab being useful is so the drummer can hear u when the cabs are in front of him/her. an ideal setting is tightly together and behind the drummer so he can balance out everyone across the stage if he/she has that knowledge.

• Members

Originally posted by JohnnyX

why dont u just play bass if u have the bass up to 10?? i want my gtr to scream not moan... i like the 800 series marshalls. I am partial to marshall!

its all in your eq settings my friend because the whole key to sound is "EQ" and thats a fact!

if your cones are breaking up then your specs are wrong. u need speakers with the right specs to handle what u throw at em. the only reason i can think of an open back cab being useful is so the drummer can hear u when the cabs are in front of him/her. an ideal setting is tightly together and behind the drummer so he can balance out everyone across the stage if he/she has that knowledge.

Marshalls are known for being notoriously bright amps, it is not a strange thing to set them up with the bass on 10.... I prefer the sound of open or partially open back cabinets, because they sound thick and full, but with less thump. Thump doesn't mic well. I didn't ask for your opinions on whether or not I play the right imstrument, I asked if anyone has any experience with this combination of amp and speakers. Speak when spoken to.

• Members

i like the Swamp Thangs, i kindda stayed out of the thread cause a wasn't sure how they'd react in an open back.

since you got them coming, might as well put them in and give them go. if your missing some of the Brit mids then worry about mixing.

as mentioned the mids are there with the Swampies, they're just voiced deferent than some.

by the way, while not having a mid spike, the Swampies do have a really nice lead tone. better IMHO than my EMI Governors.

• Members

Originally posted by kdp86

do you have any sound clips or know of any of them?

i don't, sorry.

as long as i've been trolling here, i need to get off my ass and contribute something. i've got a little digital recorder, but got too busy with work and never got figured out how to convert WAV to MP3 and viceversa.

Troublehead got some Swampies recently, but don't know if he posted any clips?

there's clips on the Eminence sight, but they aren't very usefull.

• Members

Another good option would be Eminence V12's-they fit the bill,according to what you're looking for.$69 at MF,should be less at avatar speakers and parts express.I put one in my "84 Marshall 4210 1 X12 combo,and it alone made the lead channel into something I could use,vs. total fizzy high gain crap!

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Ive got a swamp thang in an old gigantic Bassman 2x12 with a v30 and i like the way they mix, the Swamp Thang has a lot more growl in the midrange and a lot more low mids with a bit of relaxed highs. I have no idea how it would sound in an open-back cab though.

• Members

:confused::confused:

Running the bass on 10 on a Marshall JCM800 with an open back doesnt equal bass guitar.

Open backs were not created so the drummer could hear you. An open backed cab makes the sound, try to wrap your head around this, more open.

Archived