half time show

wwwjd

• Members

wow. I'm glad it ended quickly because the mix was bad enough to make me want to go surf PBS. All I heard were the vocals. Music was way too low, and a few important vocal cues were missed.

And I was MOST IMPRESSED.... with whoever put in all the money to make the light suits. nice! Other than that, worst halftime show I've seen in a while.

All the lights and boring guest artists couldn't distract enough from the boring "performance". And all those dancers looked like it was an attempt to CREATE an excited audience where there was none? yawn. Manufactured excitement usually isn't exciting.

ok, that was my two cent review. What did others think?

• Members

Other than Slash there was no band - it would have been nice to see some actual musicians jamming with the Black-Eyed Peas, but perhaps that isn't part of their concept. I thought Fergie sounded and looked great, but other than that the half time show just left me pondering how much I hate most current Top-40. I guess I've become an old fart.

The mix was horrible when heard through TV speakers, but when I turned on the surround audio there was a much better music to vocal ratio. It should be possible to mix something like this to sound better on the small speakers that most viewers will be hearing.

• Members

That was the most inept show possible. What a bunch of hacks. The fact that these clowns are millionaires makes the world see to what depths the American music scene has fallen. Where was the "genius" arranging skills of Will-i-am,not to mention his below-bar-band singing ability? Usher needs to stick to ballads and fooling with underage girls. How long is Slash going to milk that same riff, playable by any amateur with a tube amp head? Fergie certainly looks and dances very well, and has some nice vocal skills, but she can't save that Black Eyed Trainwreck. God save us all. Richard

• Members

additionally, as much as I hate auto tune, I wished they'd auto tuned Fergie because there were some clunkers. AT LEAST it sounded like they sang some of it live, so I guess that is a plus. Yeah, a BAND of some kind would have been a great addition. even a fake band playing to a recorded back track would have been entertaining to look at.

Unfed, BLACK EYED PEAS was the half time "show" - not much of a "show" though.

OH well. I don't support BEP at all financially, so that is how I vote. Just wished I got to see something INTERESTING in HiDef and cranked through my speakers.

• Members

Tough crowd :D

I actually liked it. I like the Black Eyed Peas, and come on, guys... it was cool when Slash unexpectedly showed up playing the solo from Sweet Child Of Mine and Fergie sang it. Usher is a bit on the boring side, yes, but many people like that style. The show was really good, I thought, great "space light" suits and great choreography too.

The BEPs are one of the few bands that utilize electronica in a cool way. For keyboard and synth players, what's there not to like? ...

• Members

Tough crowd
:D

I actually liked it. I like the Black Eyed Peas, and come on, guys... it was cool when Slash unexpectedly showed up playing the solo from Sweet Child Of Mine and Fergie sang it. Usher is a bit on the boring side, yes, but many people like that style. The show was really good, I thought, great "space light" suits and great choreography too.

The BEPs are one of the few bands that utilize electronica in a cool way. For keyboard and synth players, what's there not to like? ...

I think BEP do come out w/some catchy, danceable pop tunes - their recordings sound great, they are very good at what they do in the studio & yes, Fergie is sultry/smokin' hot, so that eases the pain a bit...

But come ON - that "performance" by the Black Eyed Peas at the SuperBowl was terrible. Will.i.Am sounded like an average bar band singer - that's exactly right! Plus the mix was awful - way too much vocal, not enough track - ok, maybe that's the engineers, not the BEP's fault. I also agree that even a fake band posing and pretending to play along with the tracks would've been better. Slash is always cool but even his bit was weird - sounded like they overdubbed his "Sweet Child o' Mine" intro w/synths - and at the risk of being ostracized here on KSS... synths playing a classic guitar-riff based song is just CHEESY. :rolleyes::facepalm::lol:

I have heard Fergie sing rock stuff before - Barracuda by Heart, Rock+Roll by Zeppelin, Sweet Child o' Mine by GnR - and she really rocks it! She wasn't her best tonite though, that's for sure...

Plus BEP sounded WAY too rushed - like they sped everything up, which some groups do in concert, to get people pumped... but it was just waaaay too fast. Then Usher came danling in from the ceiling w/his own Fly Girls and Boys - it was just frikkin' ridiculous.

I have to agree w/a post I saw on MSN or somewhere: it's embarassing as Americans that we put forth this crap forward for the world to see - I mean, it's the frikkin' SUPERBOWL - a BAJILLION-ZILLION people around the globe were watching... Black Eyed Peas is the best we could do this year?

In the years immediately following the year of the Janet Jackson "wardrobe malfunction" they went to older, established, "conservative" acts - Paul McCartney, Bruce Springsteen, The Who, Tom Petty... let's see more of that, man! The Eagles should do it next year - and bring back Bon Jovi, Aerosmith, Queen (w/Paul Rodgers), John Fogerty, John Mellencamp - why not?

I mean, what next - Justin Bieber and Katy Perry? ulgggghhh... :cry:

• Members

Oh come on guys... loosen up... You guys are stuck in the '70s.

Btw... as a European who has lived abroad for many years before settling here... the Super Bowl is not watched by "the world". It is watched in the United States. If you ask random people across the world, they don't know what it is. The Soccer world cup... now that yes, it is followed by the world. But American Football is just that... American. So don't worry about being "embarrassed" by the BEPs other than here.

• Members

Not ready for 'Live Time'. I won't bag on BEP for delivering a sub par performance. I blame the musical director and half-time show producer who convinced them to dress like Power Rangers (and Fergie like a member of GWAR) while delivering some half cocked medley complete with variety show guest appearances. Jesus!! I was waiting for Captain and Tenneille to show up in the end. There is of course endless debate over these half-time shows, but honestly BEP is a Pro-Tools creation not really a music act. Will I Am is a creative genius when it comes to arranging and producing but can't sing or rap his way out of a bag... I'm not sure what the job of his two sentinels standing left and right, and no matter how much makeup Fergie wears you still see the skull of someone who was tweaked on meth. I don't get how people find her attractive... to me she some female cyborg robot.

Usher can dance though. I would have preferred to watch him strut like MJ all over the stage.

BEP writes... ahem, resamples lots of catchy tunes... but live act, they are not.

'

• Members

Tough crowd
:D

Um... that, all of the music is prerecorded and played to a 'click'. That's enough for me to dislike, and important enough as a musician to defend. ;)

• Members

Honesty, I'm indifferent about the black eyed peas. I don't personally CARE for the music, but I don't go to bars dancing to appreciate it the way it is meant to be. I'm in awe of their success and would love to have found that brainless niche and cashed in.... but still..... for a half time "SHOW", I kept waiting for something to happen and it was over. I'm not a fan of slash either, but I respect the talent. When he came out I thought, "Great. NOW they will get some music players on stage" but he was there for 1/4 of a song and then nothing. Then Usher doing his Britney Spears "Look I can dance and make senseless movements that don't even fit what I am singing about" dance-a-like stuff... I dunno.... even Gene Kelly and Michael Jackson dancing seem to have more life behind it and it seemed to fit a little better to music. I thought the robot arm movement stuff ended with Britney's shaved head. I guess not.

I agree with wheresgrant it was probably all on the music director.

I watch the game mostly for the free halftime concert, but this time I'da been better off watching youtube videos.

Maybe next year :)

• Members

If you ask random people across the world, they don't know what it is.

The Soccer world cup... now that yes, it is followed by the world.

But American Football is just that... American.

So don't worry about being "embarrassed" by the BEPs other than here.

Exactly right..... if I were to go out on the street right now & ask 100 people

"what 'worldwide' sporting event took place last night" ?,

100 people would say "I've no idea".

Although it was screened on British TV, an average mid-season, mid-table football (soccer) match

would attract 20 times the viewing figures of the..... errrm, what was it? - a Black Eyed Peas gig?

• Members

That was the most inept show possible.

What a bunch of hacks.

The fact that these clowns are millionaires makes the world see to what depths the American music scene has fallen.

Usher needs to stick to ballads and fooling with underage girls.

Fergie certainly looks and dances very well, and has some nice vocal skills, but she can't save that Black Eyed Trainwreck.

God save us all.

Now THAT was funny.....:lol::thu:

Archived