How often to you REALLY use AFTER TOUCH?

wwwjd

• Members

Absolutely essential. Too bad most of the older analogue synths don't have it. But my DX7 does and I use it all the time. There is one advantage of the monophonic AT over poly pressure - you can hold a silent note with one hand and apply AT to the very fast passages that you play with the other hand. Not possible on a CS80 ;-).

I very rarely use the mod wheel for pitch modulation. I mostly use it to modify the timbre.

You could do same thing with expression pedal....

Poly AT would be nice :)

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yep, this is one thing I really love with mono AT.

Though if software is up to it you could do it with poly AT too.... You could even configure independent notes that did it. Does anyone have grasp how much poly at costs compared to normal at?

Yep, especially while playing a bass pedal part with two feet

Don't get me wrong, poly AT is amazing but I like to take the most out of the mono AT too.

I though this was a KEYs forum, not foot game player's forum.... :lol: J/K.

• Members

I find aftertouch absolutely invaluable for adding expression to strings,pads,leads...anything.

This steers me away from Roland synths for good, I have never found one with aftertouch that works without having to sit on the keys :facepalm:

Got to love the Kurzweil PC361 aftertouch! :thu:

• Members

Though if software is up to it you could do it with poly AT too.... You could even configure independent notes that did it. Does anyone have grasp how much poly at costs compared to normal at?

Yep, definitely possible depending on software on a poly AT keyboard.

Poly AT is much more expensive to have on a keyboard, obviously, since it's almost non-existent in keyboards today (VAX77 seems to be the exception).

• Members

Like many things, I suspect that one of the big differences between people who like AT and people who don't will depend on whether or not they've used it on a keyboard that does it well.

For something that is applied expressively with the note, I prefer the way aftertouch automatically turns the effect off upon release, instead of having to manually roll a mod wheel back.

It also feels more organic to me... kind of like the difference between adding vibrato on a guitar by moving your fret finger, instead of using a whammy bar.

And of course, if your other hand is occupied playing another part on another keyboard, it's nice to not have to use another hand to get the effect you want. Pedals can do that as well, but even if you don't mind the extra expense, carrying more gear, and needing more setup time, the problem is that many keyboards today have only one control pedal input (sometimes none!), so it's sometimes hard to have a pedal "spare" for another function.

• Members

For me aftertouch is must have for adding additional harmonics to lead sounds. Together with pitch wheel and velocity control, this makes synthesized lead sounds as expressive and articulate as natural instruments.

I didn't say it couldn't be used creatively
:lol:
, but it damn sure ISN'T necessary.

It IS necessary if you want to do stuff that your pianos and organs can only dream about. Some people don't want to artificially limit themselves to capabilities of ancient instruments :p

• Members

Together with pitch wheel and velocity control, this makes synthesized lead sounds as expressive and articulate as natural instruments.

+1 for aftertouch being a great means of expression. Another hardware controller that I have found really adds to the musicality of a synthesizer is the Nord pitch stick. It has been said many times, but not only is it awesome for bends, it is also a splendid vibrato source. I am by no means a guitar player, but recently I grabbed hold of my friend's Gibson, struck a few notes whereupon he gave warm compliments to my vibrato.

I figured that many instrumentalists are judged upon their vibrato, among other things. There are many reasons why I prefer Michael Brecker's playing to that of Ben Webster, one of which is Webster's dramatic vibrato - Brecker's vibrato is just beautiful. If all synth players use LFOs for vibrato, the result is a somewhat more generic keyboard players. The pitch stick is a direct vein from player to instrument - one of many, but an exceedingly influential one.

Musical diversion is the primary reason why Nord should abandon their patent of the controller, or at least provide a compact module with stick and wheel. Although, from a competitive point of view, I understand why they won't.

• Members

I don't. It's not a consideration if I purchase something. Music Theory class has got me dropping some tech illusions.

Piano's don't have aftertouch.

Organs don't have aftertouch.

Aftertouch is not needed to play sounds dynamically.

I would rather use the Mod Wheel or a rRibbon Controller.

It also accounts for increased wear and tear on a keybed.

And a synthesizer is neither a Piano or an Organ ;)

• Members

+1 on vibrato being a trademark for many artists. That includes vocalists. I'd go far as to say that it's the slight variations in pitch, even in the attack portion, that really distinguishes the instrument/instrumentalist from everyone else.

Also +1 regarding using FUN on the Kurzweil to smooth out AT response. You can also smooth AT response, or even curve or bias it from linear to exponential to logarithmic in the Fusion's MOD MATRIX. Makes a big difference in how AT "feels" or responds, and you can customize it for each instrument. You can even customize it for each multisample in a program, giving some really fat pitch bend effects.

I just wish the poly AT on my VFX-SD worked. :cry:

• Members

Never.

I can see it being useful for some people and some kinds of music, but not me or mine. I'm not much of a player, I sequence everything and use the mod wheel all the time. I've tried using aftertouch a few times but then I just ignore it.

• Members

For me aftertouch is must have for adding additional harmonics to lead sounds. Together with pitch wheel and velocity control, this makes synthesized lead sounds as expressive and articulate as natural instruments.

It IS necessary if you want to do stuff that your pianos and organs can only dream about. Some people don't want to artificially limit themselves to capabilities of ancient instruments
:p

Wow. There's nothing about aftertouch that adds harmonics to a sound. It's just another controller.

• Members

Wow. There's nothing about aftertouch that adds harmonics to a sound. It's just another controller.

Well, if you use aftertouch to open a filter, you're allowing additional harmonics to be heard. Not adding ones that weren't in the original sound, but almost the same. Bringing in a high pass filter with aftertouch will remove lower harmonics.

On additive synths like the Kawai K5000, you can use aftertouch to either add or remove harmonics.

I always program sounds with aftertouch, and almost always use it.

• Members

Well, if you use aftertouch to open a filter, you're allowing additional harmonics to be heard. Not adding ones that weren't in the original sound, but almost the same. Bringing in a high pass filter with aftertouch will remove lower harmonics.

On additive synths like the Kawai K5000, you can use aftertouch to either add or remove harmonics.

I always program sounds with aftertouch, and almost always use it.

Again, it's nothing but a controller. I can all the same with LFO's, a ribbon controller, or he Mod Wheel, which I often do. Aftertouch isn't even a thought and I definitely don't find using it as fun as a ribbon or a touch pad.

• Members

Just a controller - yes. But you might find it useful someday if you want to keep both hands on the keys, and introduce some non-programmed mods with a performance gesture. You can also use a pedal or breath controller while playing with both hands.

• Members

Just a controller - yes. But you might find it useful someday if you want to keep both hands on the keys, and introduce some non-programmed mods with a performance gesture. You can also use a pedal or breath controller while playing with both hands.

I'll give you that. I may as my piano technique gets better.

• Members

A good example of use is with the Akai MPD32 - where you have a kick drum with decay mapped to after touch and very subtle pitch modulation added to velocity for example.

You may also have a chord that is taking up both hands and want to modulate the release velocity with a filter opening at the end of the release phase of the pad (after touch can be quite handy for that) - also good for subtle faded LFO mods of pans in a combi layer for example and so on and so forth.

Archived