Make a 1 channel amp into 2 !!

AndyZ

• Members

I'm sure many here like me, at one time or another wanted to get a bit more out of some of your single chanel amps. I got a chance to demo the new Kasha Amplifiers Quikmod last nite. In minutes you can hook up this small box and basically add a second (or even third) channel to any amp. I tried it on a JCM800, a reissue Fender Super and brought my modded Epi Valve Jr. What was cool was you can use it like a boost or a second channel of the tone of choice dialed in. The Quikmod connects via a cable that on the end is a plug that is exactly the footprint of the 1st premap tube, which it plugs in to. By using a footswitch, you can keep the original amp sound of the channel, then by engaging it you get whatever the setting you dialed in on the Quikmod. There are three 12ax7's in this, plus a Post Gain knob to contour the tone, then a Gain knob. For me I'm not much a of a pedal guy, so to play a clean type amp like the Super, then kick in the Quikmod and get some pretty creamy real overdrive was pretty cool! The JCM800 tone just got much smother with the Quikmod on and with seemingly endless sustain. And the Epi Valve Jr just got much fuller with more tonality, almost sounding like a beefy old tweed. It seemed to sound like much more than 5 watts. When I get mine shortly, I'll post some comparison clips.

I also got a copy of their NAMM ad for it here...

quikmodflyer.jpg

• Members

GCDEF, I don't think so. It taps into your amps circuit. It's phantom powered. Technically I'm not sure of specifics, but it surely doesnt sound like a pedal to me. One, a Dist pedal front ends the amp. This is like appending to your preamp section.

• Members

Originally posted by TU BE

How does this thing hook up to an amp?

The Quikmod connects via a cable that on the end is a plug that is exactly the footprint of the 1st premap tube, which it plugs in to. By using a footswitch, you can keep the original amp sound of the channel, then by engaging it you get whatever the setting you dialed in on the Quikmod.

• Members

Thanks Japetus! There is a flexible cable that you plug from the QM to the 1st tube position. On the Universal QM you also connect a 1/4" cable from anotehr plug to the amp input. You then plug into the QM.

• Members

Originally posted by Japetus

By using a footswitch, you can keep the original amp sound of the channel, then by engaging it you get whatever the setting you dialed in on the Quikmod.

I understand it may connect differently, but that description still applies to a stomp box. I'd like to know more about how it works but their website only says it's coming in summer 2006.

• Members

Originally posted by Japetus

The Quikmod connects via a cable that on the end is a plug that is exactly the footprint of the 1st premap tube, which it plugs in to. By using a footswitch, you can keep the original amp sound of the channel, then by engaging it you get whatever the setting you dialed in on the Quikmod.

How did people know where they were going before maps?

• Members

It's going to debut on NAMM. I got an email back saying their website will be updated by next week with a lot of the info. Hopefully that should gvie you much more technically info your looking after.

The design is basically as if you were going to alter your amp and mod it with gain stages and such, but instead it keeps your amp stock in design and this particluar product patches into your amps existing circuit. It is nothing like a pedal in design. They hold the patent on this process/device.

I'm sure if you email them at Kasha directly with specific tech questions, they could answer it much more effeciently than me. I can only tell how my impressions of it were as a player.

Archived