HELP!-> New speakers into my Flextone II?

petejt

• Members

Hi folks.

As you can see in my signature, I have a Line6 Flextone II combo that is annoying the hell out of me.

Well, I've finally found a use for it, as an exclusive clean amp.

But I think that if I changed the speaker it would sound alot better. I think the speaker is 8 ohms, 60 Hertz.

I am thinking of installing two blue 10" Jensen speakers, I think they would be good for clean stuff. Also I can fit two 10" speakers, rather than just have one 12".

But I am not sure what wattage they need to be. I guess that the speakers need to be wired in series so the resultant resistance is 8 ohms?

Please help.

• Members

Originally posted by loudgtr

It is 8 ohm in there as well.

So would I need two 4 ohm speakers to hook it up in series?

It seems simpler than getting two 16 ohm speakers and hooking them up in parallel.

Can I get Celestion Greenbacks in 10"?

What about the Jensens? Would they be okay?

• Members

Originally posted by J Bone

personally I wouldn't be putting more money into an amp like that

I am not going to be able to sell this amp (it was hard enough selling my other gear), so I need to make some use of it. As long as there is a decent speaker, it would be fine at least for clean tones, for small gig stuff or mucking around.

• Members

Originally posted by petejt

So would I need two 4 ohm speakers to hook it up in series?

It seems simpler than getting two 16 ohm speakers and hooking them up in parallel.

Can I get Celestion Greenbacks in 10"?

What about the Jensens? Would they be okay?

This stuff I'm not to sure about, but I think you're probabley best off getting the celestion G12-65 reissue. A higher powered Greenback really. That's what I would do anyway. I heard it does pretty good clean and GREAT for overdirven (gainy) tones.

An 8 ohm one of course.

• Members
Originally posted by petejt

Hi folks.

As you can see in my signature, I have a Line6 Flextone II combo that is annoying the hell out of me.

Well, I've finally found a use for it, as an exclusive clean amp.

But I think that if I changed the speaker it would sound alot better. I think the speaker is 8 ohms, 60 Hertz.

I am thinking of installing two blue 10" Jensen speakers, I think they would be good for clean stuff. Also I can fit two 10" speakers, rather than just have one 12".

But I am not sure what wattage they need to be. I guess that the speakers need to be wired in series so the resultant resistance is 8 ohms?

Please help.

Ya, if you want to invest that much time in the amp, you could make a new baffle and put a pair of 10"s in it. Unless you have or are planning on using 4 ohm drivers, you wouldn't be wiring in series. You'll have better luck finding 16 ohm models for an ohm total load in parallel. As for wattage, isn't that obvious if you know the amp's total power output? If you go with dual 10"s, each one would have to be able to handle at least 1/2 of the amp's power.

• Members

Originally posted by loudgtr

This stuff I'm not to sure about, but I think you're probabley best off getting the celestion G12-65 reissue. A higher powered Greenback really. That's what I would do anyway. I heard it does pretty good clean and GREAT for overdirven (gainy) tones.

An 8 ohm one of course.

Thanks for the advice.

I am no thinking it would be better to just get one new speaker, rather than fuss around with the 10" speakers, too much trouble.

I just want to make it sound how it should. I'll look into the G12-65.

I am also interested in EV speakers.

Archived