THAT

IS

THE

TRUTH,

NOT

SOME

SALES

PITCH

That cockamamy crap is just made up to sell tubes.

Jerry

What does it damage?

There are other amps that can swap between 6L6 and 5881 tubes without issue - they draw the same heater current and the specs don't look that far off (given http://tdsl.duncanamps/com)

• Members

Originally posted by paintkilz

i thought 6550s draw more current???

but seriously everyones right...there are a few of these threads every month. crazy.

DOH - I read 5881...

That said, 2x6550/KT88 instead of a quad of 6L6's - would draw similar levels of heater current.

=P

• Members

Originally posted by JerryP

Hey Tweed,

{censored} off and get a life! We all know you hate Peavey, move on and let it go. Do you need a 12 step program? I'll take up a collection for you if you need me to.

Jerry

geez, lighten up ya prick .... I was just joking ......

.... you didn't bother to scroll down.... just fly off the handle before you know what you are talking about ..... :mad:

• Members

Use your head, that involves mods to the amp so it won't be damaged.

Jerry

wow, are you having a bad day today ? :confused:

I'll be ok ...... put down teh soldering iron and try to clear all that fizz out of your head ........ :o

it'll still be there later when you come back more relaxed ..... :idea:

• Members

Hey Tweed,

{censored} off and get a life! We all know you hate Peavey, move on and let it go. Do you need a 12 step program? I'll take up a collection for you if you need me to.

Jerry

But I love everything Dr Tweed X has to say. This about sums up everything I see from him:

"This person is on your Ignore List. To view this post click [here]"

He trolled so many times I would answer an amp question and then slap my forehead realizing I just wasted my time because it was a tweedbucket thread. A complete waste of bandwidth.

All I want now is for his own threads just not to appear. Ever. So I don't even have to see his stupid titles.

TWEED: YOU ARE SIMPLY NOT FUNNY. You are "zany". "Zany" died in the 80's along with hair metal. You are the Carrot Top of this message board.

• Members

Originally posted by The Evil Dr. X

geez, lighten up ya prick .... I was just joking ......

.... you didn't bother to scroll down.... just fly off the handle before you know what you are talking about .....
:mad:

Everything about you is a joke. You should learn to contribute something on the forum and not just waste time starting nonsense posts or polluting real threads with your foolish babble. Don't get enough attention at home?

12 steps, just say the word and we'll get you the help you desperately need.

Jerry

• Members

Originally posted by kannibul3

What does it damage?

There are other amps that can swap between 6L6 and 5881 tubes without issue - they draw the same heater current and the specs don't look that far off (given
http://tdsl.duncanamps/com
)

What size screen grid resistors do those other amps use????? :eek: There's more to dropping a tube in an amp than just bias and heater current.

Jerry

• Members

The 5150 needs a good amount of mods to run 6550's. I've done it to my 5150 and I honestly thought it sounded like muddy {censored}. EL34's are the worst. 6V6's actually didn't sound too bad. The 6L6 is the tube for that amp IMO. It keeps the bottom end tight and punchy. 6550's add distortion in the power section that you don't need in that amp.

I'd be happy to take your money if you wanna try them, but I really don't think they'll give you the tone you think they will.

Jerry

Jerry is honest and knows his stuff so listen to him. I honestly can't imagine why you would want to run anything else in a 5150 but that's just me.

• Members

Originally posted by Sordid1

Jerry is honest and knows his stuff so listen to him. I honestly can't imagine why you would want to run anything else in a 5150 but that's just me.

+ ?

No one knows 5150s like JerryP.

Originally posted by deamonofthefall

you yuppies from across the sea tend to waste more time in {censored}ty little battles for credit on this forum more than posting interesting stuff..

You all crack me up!!!!!!!
:thu:

keep it going!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whatever you say Mr. Holier Than Thou.

• Members
Originally posted by syxstringslayer

I had 4 5881 tubes in the power section before

putting in 4 mesa 6l6 tubes btw. The 5881

sounded darker. I liked it better.

The Electro-Harmonix 6L6EH is a darker, fatter 6L6. I used those in mine with some Tung-Sol preamp tubes, and it made the amp fatter sounding than the other powertubes I've tried (JJ, SED, SovtekWXT+/Mesa 430). BIG, fat meaty grind was had with those.

• Members

What size screen grid resistors do those other amps use?????
:eek:
There's more to dropping a tube in an amp than just bias and heater current.

Jerry

Usually 1K5W, at a guess without looking at some schematic, and if I'm thinking of the right resistor (not quite awake yet - lol)

• Members

Originally posted by Soulcrusher_X

KT88s and 6550s have the ability to dissipate 50 watts a piece, but it doesn't mean the amp will now run at a higher wattage.

Have the ability, yes, but you have to juice them up with more voltage. Same with the BS that GT says about it's E34L is a 30W tube - it can't make your amp go from 100w to 120w, unless you change the voltages inside :)

• Members

Have the ability, yes, but you have to juice them up with more voltage. Same with the BS that GT says about it's E34L is a 30W tube - it can't make your amp go from 100w to 120w, unless you change the voltages inside
:)

Does GT actually say that the E34L adds wattage to the amp? I HAVE heard that it can dissipate 30 watts, though. The only tube that I've heard make some kind of jump in output is the JJ KT-77. I know it's not changing the power output of the amp, but it has made any amp I've used it in noticably louder. Plus they sound pretty :D

EDIT: Doh...I think I read your original post wrong. ;)

• Members

Usually 1K5W, at a guess without looking at some schematic, and if I'm thinking of the right resistor (not quite awake yet - lol)

As my man Dawk says, you get a cigar. :thu: Most EL34's amp use a 1K screen grid resistor and the common value for 6L6's is 470 ohms, the 5150 uses a 100 ohm resistor. That's a bit smaller! The 5150's take out the screen grids with a 6L6, using any other tube is just asking for trouble.

Jerry

Archived