Marshall MG bashing?! WHy?

Vanny

• Members

These amps sound awesome.

Good distortion, cleans up well. My guitarist uses one.

And the clips on youtube were cool.

The reliablility aint good and sometimes has static, but aside from that, the tone is good for a SS.

And yes, I've played tube amps.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Vanny

These amps sound awesome.

Good distortion, cleans up well. My guitarist uses one.

And the clips on youtube were cool.

The reliablility aint good and sometimes has static, but aside from that, the tone is good for a SS.

And yes, I've played tube amps.

Correction: Their reliability is PATHETIC. I have seen tons of these amps break down. Not good. SS amps should damn near indestructable.

And your ears must be broken, because although the MG's do sound ok, a good tube amp just sounds better.

• Members

Marshall MG = Instant Potatoes.

Sure, you can eat em and they'll fill you up, but once you eat real potatoes, you ain't never going back.

(PS. Real potatoes = Mesa RK :D)

• Members

Originally posted by Thri11_H0use

Correction: Their reliability is PATHETIC. I have seen tons of these amps break down. Not good. SS amps should damn near indestructable.

And your ears must be broken, because although the MG's do sound ok, a good tube amp just sounds better.

+1

The output chip Marshall uses in many of their solid state amps (MG, AVT, Mode 4) sucks major ass! They fail a lot along with the cooling fans.

Jerry

• Members

Originally posted by Chudanez

THIS IS T3H TRUTH LOL!

EVEN MINE'S ORIGINAL 70s MARSHALLS BROKE!! WELL, NOT TEH AMP, BUT T3H {censored}IN LOGO BADGE ON ZE FRONT!!!

UNRELIABLEZ

Oh, my god! My logo fell off too! And my rocker switches don't light up anymore!

I'd expect more reliability from a 27 year old amp!

• Members

Originally posted by Thri11_H0use

Dude, what are you talking about?

I never said they sunded better than a tube amp. I said I PLAYED a tube amp.

Where was my comparison?

I made the comment that I played a tube amp, so tube snobs won't use a cliche like 'once you play a tube amp, you're not going back'.

The MG deserves more credit than people make them out to be. They're not a tube amp, but when comparing it to relative SS amps, it's not bad.

• Members

Dude, what are you talking about?

I never said they sunded better than a tube amp. I said I PLAYED a tube amp.

Where was my comparison?

I made the comment that I played a tube amp, so tube snobs won't use a cliche like 'once you play a tube amp, you're not going back'.

The MG deserves more credit than people make them out to be. They're not a tube amp, but when comparing it to relative SS amps, it's not bad.

Yeah but the phrase "it's not bad" is something you wanna hear when you're buying or playing gear.

My Marshall 8100 (a SS amp - very popular), cains the MG100 head and cost me less for a half stack (when i bought the 8100 halfstack, it cost less then a MG100 head alone)

Why have "it's not bad" when you can have better for the same cost, or even less sometimes

• Members

I have a MG100dfx combo and the thing is just horrible for distortion. It needs a pedal. I just use if I want to play some clean stuff, thats all.

Plus the fan problem is bad.

I wont sell it cuz I doubt I will ever get anything for it (it looks like new).

{censored} amp, dont waste your money.

I WONT buy another Marshall product because of that whole debacle.

• Members

Originally posted by Chudanez

Yeah but the phrase "it's not bad" is something you wanna hear when you're buying or playing gear.

My Marshall 8100 (a SS amp - very popular), cains the MG100 head and cost me less for a half stack (when i bought the 8100 halfstack, it cost less then a MG100 head alone)

Why have "it's not bad" when you can have better for the same cost, or even less sometimes

I'm not in the market for that amp, and but I just want to make sure other beginners or musicians who never tried this amp get things straight. It's not as bad as people make them out to be.

I'm saving up for one of those F-30 heads or possibly a Rivera if it fits my budget. I'm not sure if I want to go head+cab or combo yet, so I'll just save for now.

I have high standards for gear, but I think it's overboard when people make statements like "SS SUCKS!". It's kind of childish.

Maybe I should check out the 8100, but it probably won't beat the ones I am considering later.

• Members

I don't know, is this guy trolling or just stupid?

Even for SS heads at the price point, it has to compete with Randall and Line 6, both of which sound better.

Admittedly, with a good cab, the head sounds alright. But not as good as almost any other head for the money.

• Members

No, it does not deserve more credit. The terrible reliability is enough to justify its bad rep. And at the same time, there are much better sounding SS amps out there.

• Members

Originally posted by mparsons

I don't know, is this guy trolling or just stupid?

Even for SS heads at the price point, it has to compete with Randall and Line 6, both of which sound better.

Admittedly, with a good cab, the head sounds alright. But not as good as almost any other head for the money.

You use Line 6?

Cool, because I do too.

Archived