Marshall MG bashing?! WHy?

Vanny

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Thri11_H0use

No, it does not deserve more credit. The terrible reliability is enough to justify its bad rep. And at the same time, there are much better sounding SS amps out there.

Yeah, that's why I said ASIDE FROM reliablity. Tonewise, it's not so bad.

• Members

Originally posted by cloudsnstuff00

i hear all marshalls are unrelaiable

all as in Marshall tube amps as well?

sure, some of the newer ones have problems (mainly a few from the JCM 2000 series), but all other Marshall tube amps I've owned were some of the most reliable amps I've had...but still, they're not Mesas :idea:

I've owned three so far, a JCM 900 SL-X, and a 6100LM (which I still have), and a 1959SLP RI for a short time...that thing was a tank.

Originally posted by adiohead

i know a guy with that 100W MG combo

sounds like {censored} and mushy/trebly/awful crap at high volumes.

only at high volumes? ;)

• Members

Originally posted by mparsons

No I had Chinese food, why?
:confused:

If you're trying to compare my HD147 to a Marshall MG you might want to look instead at the Spider, or at least something that isn't 4 times as expensive.

Why would I compare your HD147 to a Marshall MG?

That'd be like comparing a paper airplane to a Boeing Jet.

If you think closely, it's even like comparing mangos (I had a mango drink today) and pineapples. Can someone really draw a conclusion on which one is better? I don't think so, because it's not relevant and there are a lot of factors involved.

Would you compare a Mesa Rectifier with a Peavey Bandit? I don't think so, so it's not like any weird comparisons should happen. One should not that, when comparing amps, to be fair in your analysis.

Also, try not to compare tube amps with solid state amps.

Btw, are you Chinese?

• Members

The only reason I thought my AVT50 head sounded any good is because I had a MG50 combo before it. Now I know that they both suck as far as the OD. I found you need to max the master volume and adjust the loudness though the pre. At least this way it gives it a bit of warmth. I use a pedal for overdrive anyway.

There is nothing that can save an MG although my sons MG15 sounds ok at practice levels.

Reliability wise the footswitches on both my AVT and MG were dodgy. The fans were not a problem though. For the price the AVT isn

• Members

Originally posted by crisis

The only reason I thought my AVT50 head sounded any good is because I had a MG50 combo before it. Now I know that they both suck as far as the OD. I found you need to max the master volume and adjust the loudness though the pre. At least this way it gives it a bit of warmth. I use a pedal for overdrive anyway.

There is nothing that can save an MG although my sons MG15 sounds ok at practice levels.

Reliability wise the footswitches on both my AVT and MG were dodgy. The fans were not a problem though. For the price the AVT isn

• Members

I'm sorry, but I have the MG30DFX and it sounds TERRIBLE. The OD sucks and the clean channel breaks up almost instantly even when the volume is low. It works, so I guess it would be OK for a beginner. I will be replacing it with a Vox DA5 in the very near future. Yes, even a 5 watt, battery powered amp sounds better than the MG30DFX. I think the DA5 sounds better than a lot of SS amps, though.

• Members
Originally posted by Vanny

These amps sound awesome.

Good distortion, cleans up well. My guitarist uses one.

And the clips on youtube were cool.

The reliablility aint good and sometimes has static, but aside from that, the tone is good for a SS.

And yes, I've played tube amps.

If it sounds good to YOU that's all that matters. Audience isn't going to be able to tell the difference between some high $$ amp and a cheaper one anyway ('cept maybe for the guitarists in the crowd). Carry on...

• Members

The reliablility aint good and sometimes has static, but aside from that, the tone is good for a SS.

im a huge marshall fan an i would dream of one day collecting every great hi-gain marshall: modded jcm8002203, jcm900 slx, jcm 2000 DSLs, TSLs, and above all, the 6100LM-x and probably start my collection with a jvm if it sounds as good as it looks.

but i must admit the mgs and avts are don;t resemble great hi-gain marshalls, they are probably better than most SS amps but they still share the same issues. They get flabby, loose and muddy when cranked to keep up with drummers or even when jamming in some cases. they may have decent cleans and low gain tones but they don't do the job for what i do. belive me i have an avt50 combo and i regret buying it more than anything else and it sounds a bit better tham my friends mg100dfx.

if it good to you then go for it, use it, nobodys gonna judge you becuase of you equipment. :thu: only how good you are counts, how good the music you create, and even that is extremly subjective, im just telling others why i prefer not to use it, you shuold take every bashing subjectively, every amp has a group of poeple that dislike it, and HC is a place for those critics to get it outta them

• Members

Originally posted by crisis

• Members

I think the main reason is "sounds awesome", is a relative description, you know like compared to what??? I think when most guys who know good tone think Marshall, the SS amps aren't it, because they do NOT sound like a good tube Marshall.

• Members

Originally posted by Zachman

I think the main reason is "sounds awesome", is a relative description, you know like compared to what??? I think when most guys who know good tone think Marshall, the SS amps aren't it, because they do NOT sound like a good tube Marshall.

Well, maybe there was some exagerrating, but it does balance out with the overly negative reviews.

Compared to a Mesa F-30, no.

But compared to a Crate or Line 6 or whatever...then...who knows?!

• Members

when I started out I thought the Marshall MG sounded awesome.

then I bought a crate, Fender Twin reverb, some mesa boogie amps, ENGLs, and even a roland cube and some other {censored} and gigged etc.

then I went to my friends house and played his MG Marshall that I thought sounded awesome years ago...

:freak: I couldn't believe my ears!!! it sounded {censored}ed up!!

BUT... I don't know if it was mainly the MG fault or the "new EMGs" in the guitar :o

I guess a mixture of both :eek:

• Members

Originally posted by Bluesaholick_2

when I started out I thought the Marshall MG sounded awesome.

then I bought a crate, Fender Twin reverb, some mesa boogie amps, ENGLs, and even a roland cube and some other {censored} and gigged etc.

then I went to my friends house and played his MG Marshall that I thought sounded awesome years ago...

:freak:
I couldn't believe my ears!!! it sounded {censored}ed up!!

BUT... I don't know if it was mainly the MG fault or the "new EMGs" in the guitar
:o

I guess a mixture of both
:eek:

Tone is subjective.

• Members

Originally posted by Zachman

True, but there are industry benchmarks.

Anyways, I'm not thinking about an MG.

I would like to know what kind of amp you get if you put together:

Tiny Terror cleans with Mesa F-50 distortion.

Any amp that has similar stuff?

• Members

Anyways, I'm not thinking about an MG.

I would like to know what kind of amp you get if you put together:

Tiny Terror cleans with Mesa F-50 distortion.

Any amp that has similar stuff?

Not trying to be smug, but you asked... ;)

This is what I use, to get pretty much any darn tone I want, whenever I want it:

I ended up building a 4 amp, (3 Way Switching System) Middle DRY, L/R Wet system which is fully switch-able in real time as well as through pre-programmed presets.

I can select any of 4 amps (1 at a time), through (1) 4x12 cabinet), what channel it's on, and other switch-able functions like Gain Boost, Mid-Range Boost, etc...

Amps are:

Fender Super Reverb 1965 Blackface

Fuchs ODS 50

Fuchs ODS 100

Marshall 30th Anniversary 6100LE w/ EL34

Archived