So I guess this is when I ask for the mojo...

rememberduane

• Members

Well I'll save the long spiel because most of you know what's been up, but let's pick up from where I left off.

After flying home from Edinburgh I went straight to the hospital. They determined my sed rate was insanely high and thought I had something like lupus or rheumatoid arthritis. So they gave me a big shot of steroids and sent in the blood work to test, and gave me short-term prednisone to control the inflammation.

My tests came back negative and they figured it was some crazy virus, and that I would be fine when I came off the prednisone.

Well, as I started coming off the prednisone, the pain started coming back, so I went to my regular doctor. He checked it all out and said basically I have a textbook case of a condition called polymyositis.

Polymyositis is a chronic, degenerative autoimmune disorder in which your white blood cells attack your muscles bilaterally, usually the ones close to the trunk (thighs and shoulders). There's no cure but they can stave it off with long-term high-dose steroids. It eventually does catch up and after years, you typically die from muscle weakness or inflammation in your heart, lungs, or esophagus -- after years of debilitation, because it replaces your muscle tissue with useless scar tissue. It also commonly presents with cancer.

So this is what I'm most likely facing. The doctor said he is 90% sure. I get my blood results back Tuesday -- the reason it didn't show in the ANA test before is because it's a different type of autoimmune disorder, and shows up on a creatine kinase test rather than an ANA test. If that test comes back positive, they'll have to do a muscle biopsy to be 100%, but it's basically sure. He is also testing for blood levels that might indicate a malignancy.

So I guess this is where I ask for mojo and stuff. I don't even know what to think. There's a part of me that wants it to be this, because this at least gives me years of function, and there are so many worse things it could be. If this comes back negative, we just have to keep searching to figure out what is destroying my muscles and causing me so much pain. I feel like I have a gunshot wound in my left shoulder today, the pain has gotten so bad again the doctor is calling in another short term prescription of prednisone. I'll have to see a rheumatologist soon, but nobody can get me in.

It's all kind of a shock.. I'm not even sure what to think. I guess I thought I should keep you guys informed.. HC is a bit like a family. I just hope the steroids will keep me playing guitar for years, because I don't know what I'd do without it.

Thanks guys,

Chris

EDIT: UPDATE

Thank you for the responses and prayers and mojo guys.

I just got my blood results back from the doctor early.

It's NOT polymyositis. My creatine kinase levels came back normal. My metabolics were all normal except my liver, which was like twice what it should be. My white count is slightly elevated, but my sed rate is still insanely high. They also didn't test as thoroughly for a malignancy as I thought they did -- just metabolics.

Now we have no idea what is wrong with me, and I can't get in to see a rheumatologist for I don't know how long. The doctor didn't explain what was going on with my liver. I have no idea whats going on and this is worse.

I just feel helpless right now.

I have an appointment to see the doctor again Thursday, and I will be demanding him to just test for anything and everything it could possibly be. I don't care what it takes, I just want to know.

• Members

It's NOT polymyositis. My creatine kinase levels came back normal. My metabolics were all normal except my liver, which was like twice what it should be. My white count is slightl elevated, but my sed rate is still insanely high.

Now we have no idea what is wrong with me, and I can't get in to see a rheumatologist for I don't know how long. The doctor didn't explain what was going on with my liver, and he didn't make a followup appointment. I have no idea whats going on and this is worse.

• Members

Originally posted by rememberduane

Well I'll save the long spiel because most of you know what's been up, but let's pick up from where I left off.

After flying home from Edinburgh I went straight to the hospital. They determined my sed rate was insanely high and thought I had something like lupus or rheumatoid arthritis. So they gave me a big shot of steroids and sent in the blood work to test, and gave me short-term prednisone to control the inflammation.

My tests came back negative and they figured it was some crazy virus, and that I would be fine when I came off the prednisone.

Well, as I started coming off the prednisone, the pain started coming back, so I went to my regular doctor. He checked it all out and said basically I have a textbook case of a condition called polymyositis.

Polymyositis is a chronic, degenerative autoimmune disorder in which your white blood cells attack your muscles bilaterally, usually the ones close to the trunk (thighs and shoulders). There's no cure but they can stave it off with long-term high-dose steroids. It eventually does catch up and after years, you typically die from muscle weakness or inflammation in your heart, lungs, or esophagus -- after years of debilitation, because it replaces your muscle tissue with useless scar tissue. It also commonly presents with cancer.

So this is what I'm most likely facing. The doctor said he is 90% sure. I get my blood results back Tuesday -- the reason it didn't show in the ANA test before is because it's a different type of autoimmune disorder, and shows up on a creatine kinase test rather than an ANA test. If that test comes back positive, they'll have to do a muscle biopsy to be 100%, but it's basically sure. He is also testing for blood levels that might indicate a malignancy.

So I guess this is where I ask for mojo and stuff. I don't even know what to think. There's a part of me that wants it to be this, because this at least gives me years of function, and there are so many worse things it could be. If this comes back negative, we just have to keep searching to figure out what is destroying my muscles and causing me so much pain. I feel like I have a gunshot wound in my left shoulder today, the pain has gotten so bad again the doctor is calling in another short term prescription of prednisone. I'll have to see a rheumatologist soon, but nobody can get me in.

It's all kind of a shock.. I'm not even sure what to think. I guess I thought I should keep you guys informed.. HC is a bit like a family. I just hope the steroids will keep me playing guitar for years, because I don't know what I'd do without it.

Thanks guys,

Chris

EDIT: UPDATE

It's NOT polymyositis. My creatine kinase levels came back normal. My metabolics were all normal except my liver, which was like twice what it should be. My white count is slightly elevated, but my sed rate is still insanely high. They also didn't test as thoroughly for a malignancy as I thought they did -- just metabolics.

Now we have no idea what is wrong with me, and I can't get in to see a rheumatologist for I don't know how long. The doctor didn't explain what was going on with my liver. I have no idea whats going on and this is worse.

I have an appointment to see the doctor again Thursday, and I will be demanding him to just test for anything and everything it could possibly be. I don't care what it takes, I just want to know.

well, the best thing to do is try not to panic. Easy for me to say, I know. But you've already had one false alarm. Best thing to do is try to relax and wait until you have a positive diagnosis before you get yourself all worked up. Could be nuttin' and even if it's somethin' they are all over it. Good luck - Skid

• Members

Originally posted by Loghead

Nah. Haggis is good for all that ails one.

Hell yeah, thats stuff will put hair on yur ass!!!

Chris, glad to hear that the test came back negative but one can live a decent life with Polymyostitis. Youre usually put on steroidals and death is very very rare....

Do yourself a favor and dont worry UNTIL youre given a reason to. Even then, get ALL the facts before you drive yourself bonkers, that wont do you any good...

Peace and God Bless Bro!!!

Kage

Archived