QSC: K8/10/12?

Thorhead

• Members

A lot has been talked about these boxes here.

I am just wondering, just how powerful are they( How big venues are the different sizes good for?)? And how accurate are they?

One of my friend swears by RFC (or something like that) PA's, EON GT2's seemed to be pretty popular here as well some time ago... just thinking, is the QSC really the holy grail of PA's?

Discuss.

• Members

I have the K8 with the KSUB. All I can say is it is the clearest, loudest, and most option laden powered speaker/combo I have ever owned. I have not heard the K10 which seems to be the most popular one for keyboard players but I do know that the K-12 was good but not as focused as the K8. I think that the horn spread is a little different in the 8 and 10. Someone said it could actually be too much dispersion for up close usage but I have not had a problem with that issue. My unit is a mere 3-4ft behind me with the K8 literally at my head.

I do know that EV makes great stuff but these QSC's are really well made and the quality can be seen upon initial viewing.

Just so you know my personal reference, I have owned the following: The Peavey KB300, 100, & the KB4, The Roland KC-500, 550 and SA-300, One Crate and one TOA model, A JBL EON GT2, And 2 Bose L1 compacts.

• Members

For piano, at least, I thought the EV ZXA1 sounded better than the QSC K8 (and it's cheaper and lighter besides). However, the K8 can go louder.

Pretty happy with my EV ZXA1. Unbelievable that an 800W powered speaker can be easily carried under one arm like that.

• Members

I have the K8 with the KSUB. All I can say is it is the clearest, loudest, and most option laden powered speaker/combo I have ever owned. I have not heard the K10 which seems to be the most popular one for keyboard players but I do know that the K-12 was good but not as focused as the K8. I think that the horn spread is a little different in the 8 and 10. Someone said it could actually be too much dispersion for up close usage but I have not had a problem with that issue. My unit is a mere 3-4ft behind me with the K8 literally at my head.

I do know that EV makes great stuff but these QSC's are really well made and the quality can be seen upon initial viewing.

Just so you know my personal reference, I have owned the following: The Peavey KB300, 100, & the KB4, The Roland KC-500, 550 and SA-300, One Crate and one TOA model, A JBL EON GT2, And 2 Bose L1 compacts.

Nice list (though the KC-500 is terrible).

Hmm... I have never heard of these EV cabs before. Something to consider. Bit cheaper...

I think the QSC K10s are what I am after, still though.

• Members

The QSC line has really been herald as of late.

Remember that the K10's are in fact amazing due to their high quality wood, very smart choices insofar as EQ presets and horn technology, and their ability to push tons power thru those 10 inch speakers for lots of quality sound as well as good headroom. They are not, however, miracle workers and will need the sub for that thump sound. Despite this one thing the K10's are compact, impressive and a great choice for keys.:wave:

• Members

I really do. They seem to be clearer and more focused than the JBL's. I don't think they sound boxy at all. Now I do have the sub which I use in combination with the crossover mode on the K8. It really does provide a high fidelity sound.

The JBL had a little more low/mid from what I can remember but the K8 is very punchy in a good way, even when being used alone, and it is loud!!!

I must admit I have had a hard time in the past using powered speakers. I have always felt like an external mixer was needed. I forgot that I also had a Yamaha 400 series powered speaker for a short while which I used a Mackie mixer to boost and cut certain frequencies on the unit. The same thing for the JBL.

I do not use a mixer with the QSC, a first for me.

Finally I have to admit I do like the sound of Roland KC-550's. Bring on the ridicule. I think it has a really good low end and can be EQ'ed to sound punchy and clear. I do hate replacing tweeter/horns every 6 months and the amp does tends to poop out when it is pushed. The Peavey amps are smoother but sound sorta low fidelity.

The QSC is like Bose and Roland had a baby and the child worked out to be an UFC warrior. It kicks major booty, just sayin.......

• Members

I really do. They seem to be clearer and more focused than the JBL's. I don't think they sound boxy at all. Now I do have the sub which I use in combination with the crossover mode on the K8. It really does provide a high fidelity sound.

The JBL had a little more low/mid from what I can remember but the K8 is very punchy in a good way, even when being used alone, and it is loud!!!

I must admit I have had a hard time in the past using powered speakers. I have always felt like an external mixer was needed. I forgot that I also had a Yamaha 400 series powered speaker for a short while which I used a Mackie mixer to boost and cut certain frequencies on the unit. The same thing for the JBL.

I do not use a mixer with the QSC, a first for me.

Finally I have to admit I do like the sound of Roland KC-550's. Bring on the ridicule. I think it has a really good low end and can be EQ'ed to sound punchy and clear. I do hate replacing tweeter/horns every 6 months and the amp does tends to poop out when it is pushed. The Peavey amps are smoother but sound sorta low fidelity.

The QSC is like Bose and Roland had a baby and the child worked out to be an UFC warrior. It kicks major booty, just sayin.......

As a foolish owner of the KC550... I have to say your credibility is now officially gone :lol::cop:

Anyone else has experience with QSC, some RCF cabs and the eons?

• Members

:thu:Cool!
:lol:

Well, actually, you were referring to running something else than chainsaw through it?

Because THAT is one heck of a ubersaw right there.

Yes indeed, the objective here is to replace that KC, or whatever is left of it :lol:

• Members

I too have a K12. Sounds fabulous, massive power. Only complaint whatsoever is the odd hande placement. When placed on the floor as a monitor, the one handle QSC decided to put on the side of the unit faces the floor. There's a handle on the top of the speaker, so it's not a disaster - but it sure is odd.

• Members

One question to the other K-series owners out there. Have you noticed that the quality of the jack and mic sockets are pretty sub-par?

I use my K10 on the floor as a wedge, and have found that the slightest movement of a lead plugged into the 6.35mm will cause nasty static.

Also, the XLR input sockets don't seem to have locking points and mic leads can tend to come loose and even fall out.

I've experienced this with 4 different K10s and a bunch of different high-quality leads, so it's definitely the QSC.

Gotta say it's the only downside to these boxes. Build quality is otherwise fantastic, they just seem to have skimped on the connectors.

Archived