QSC: K8/10/12?

Thorhead

• Members

You are right. I feel silly now. It is my sub that is wood. My K8's feel like metal but are plastic, hence the 21lbs.:eek: Sometimes I don't think before I speak. I do know this most certainly, they are everything my Bose system was (even with the help of an external mixer) and more.

• Members

That would be RCF in Italy. They were the innovators of plastic boxes and to my ears the discontinued 522A was the finest plastic box I've heard. They are most definitely a step up from the QSC K series, both price and sound quality.

Thanks... For making me even more confused :lol:

These boxes seem to have different dispersion angle... Should small boxes / small angle, be used in small spaces and big ones in big spaces?

Does it matter too much?

• Members

Well I have gotten a few things wrong during this thread so do you own research to check, but for some reason the smaller speakers have a wider degree. Maybe to overcome the smaller size? The fact is I don't really know why. All I know is my K8 sounds really good alone BUT looks and sounds unbelievable on the pole above the sub. (let's keep our minds out of the gutter, or maybe it is just my mind.:evil: ) You can get by with the K8 for a while and get the sub later. If you just want the top then get the K10.

• Members

One question to the other K-series owners out there. Have you noticed that the quality of the jack and mic sockets are pretty sub-par?

I use my K10 on the floor as a wedge, and have found that the slightest movement of a lead plugged into the 6.35mm will cause nasty static.

Also, the XLR input sockets don't seem to have locking points and mic leads can tend to come loose and even fall out.

I've experienced this with 4 different K10s and a bunch of different high-quality leads, so it's definitely the QSC.

Gotta say it's the only downside to these boxes. Build quality is otherwise fantastic, they just seem to have skimped on the connectors.

Me too - we use K10's as monitors and very early on the things would cut out when we used 1/4 balanced phono's into the universal connectors - we swapped our sends over to XLR and havn't had any further issues using the same univ inputs.

• Members

This is how crazy it got. I had 2 KC-550 and 4 Roland SW1 subs and my guitarist still smoked me with his MESA Cab.

The Roland KC-550 has only 180W of solid state power. That is not enough to compete with a loud guitarist. The QSC K-series (1000W and up) and EV ZXA1 (800W) have the sufficient wattage for you to be heard even with loud drums and loud guitars, without sacrificing headroom.

• Members

After going through my fair share of amps (Roland, Motion Sound, Traynor) I decided to try the K8 after hearing all the great comments about the K12. It was the best gear purchase I've ever made, as far as sound improvement is concerned. Unless you need even more volume (or wedge ability, as the K8 lacks this although you can improvise) go for the K8. Otherwise, I'd recommend the K12.

• Members

I played through a pair of K8s again last night at a gig - not bad but I have to say I definitely prefer the K10s. You almost NEED a sub with the K8s if you're doing any full-range stuff or anything with bottom end, whereas you can get away with just the K10s and K12s - especially if you engage the ''deep'' switch (although I've never needed to).

Apparently the K10 was the initial QSC K-series design, then the 8 and 12 were made from that.

• Members

Just another vote for QSC K series: My whole system consists of 3 K10s, 2 mains & monitor. I play solo running acoustic & electric guitars, looped live percussion, looped synth lines / beats, and vocals. I have never turned these up past 60% and they've always been more than enough for loud bars. True that you won't get gut-punch thump out of them but the extended bass response on the DEEP setting is crazy for such a small speaker. I actually leave them all on the middle EQ setting and they sound great. Really portable and durable as well. I leave them head height and pointed out straight but you can also raise your stands all the way and point them down 7.5 degrees and it sounds really nice for acoustic / vocal oriented stuff. I ran a Mackie desk through them for a year or so, sounded good but the A&H ZED-10FX I'm now using is a much better match. I personally found these speakers to sound far & away better than the JBL or Mackie active stuff when shopping but they are definitely not cheap.

• Members

I must admit the SUB really gives me that big sound. The K8 is OK for private practicing and I could probably play acoustic guitar or sing through it, but for Keys and DJ'ing the sub is a preference and really a must most of the time. When I play live, I use one side with a K8 and KSUB. When I DJ a use 2 K8's and 2 KSUBS. It destroys the Bose L1 system, and the Roland SA300 System I had prior to buying the QSC's and at around $5,000.00 US. cheaper.

Archived