Tech21 Trademark 60 -vs- Podxt Live/PowerEngine60

Bassified

• Members

I own a Tech21 Trademark60 and I have to say that I like the vintage sounds you can get out of it, but there is no way of getting any nasty distortion or nice sustain out of it imo. I bought it to play live, but have since figured out that it doesnt have the low-end or high gain ability that I do need from time to time. Ive no experience with Podxt or any mounted modeling setups, but if you just needed vintage amp sounds, the Tech21 does it pretty well imo.

• Members

Originally posted by burncycle

I own a Tech21 Trademark60 and I have to say that I like the vintage sounds you can get out of it, but there is no way of getting any nasty distortion or nice sustain out of it imo. I bought it to play live, but have since figured out that it doesnt have the low-end or high gain ability that I do need from time to time. Ive no experience with Podxt or any mounted modeling setups, but if you just needed vintage amp sounds, the Tech21 does it pretty well imo.

Well, I don't think I'll need any nasty distortion or even high gain, because in a band situation, we're not heavy metal. Some nice cleans and mid-gains is what I am after.

I guess I'm looking more for a live amp and thinking whether tube or ss.

• Members

Well, Im no gear freak, but if you dont need high gain and sustain, then tube has the kind of richness that SS lacks. Since your gonna be gigging, I think tube gives you the best shot at a warmer sound (cliche I know). I am in the throes of an amp decision myself :(

• Members
Originally posted by burncycle

Well, Im no gear freak, but if you dont need high gain and sustain, then tube has the kind of richness that SS lacks. Since your gonna be gigging, I think tube gives you the best shot at a warmer sound (cliche I know). I am in the throes of an amp decision myself
:(

I guess so....if I get the Trademark60....I'm just thinking in a few years.....would I want to go back to a tube amp?

But then, there are people who went from tube to SS....like I think someone on this forum liked a TM60 more than a Mesa F-50, so it gets me thinking....

• Members

I've got the Pod Live XT. AND I've got the trademark 60. (so I guess I'm your man huh?)

The trademark definately gives me a warmer tone. And the slightly breaking up tones are much better than the pod. In fact all the tones I get on the trademark are very very nice. Warm and fat, which are terms others use to describe tubes.

The POD excels at bringing in effects, moving through tone changes, heavy and clear tones. Not that the mild dirt tones are bad, but IF it has a weak spot I'd say that's probably it.

I guess it depends on your band. Are you going to be doing alot of covers? If so the pod's flexibility might be a big bonus. Do you have a decent PA? If so the pods quick set up may be helpfull. Do you record? The USB output is great. I love the computer editing, very simple to get things set up ahead of time.

Orrrrr, is your band more of a signiture tone band where you don't use alot of different effects, and have a certain sound. In that case the trademark might be better.

Both are very good products for what they do, I guess it just depends on what your going to be asking them to do.

I hope that helps. :wave:

• Members

Hey,

I love the sounds on the TradeMark60. I use one in practice alot. My live rig is a QuickRod and Powerball, but the Tech21 is a fun amp. The Direct out is great also- run right to the PA. I'd go with the Trademark60.

• Members

I have been playing a trademark 60 for many years. The clean channel is fantastic. About a year ago I bought a Vox Tonelab and it sounds fantastic through the Tech21. As a matter of fact I never play the Trademark 60 without the Tonelab running through it. I know this doesn't answer your question about the Pod, but the Tonelab made the Trademark even better.

• Members

I use a TM60 and a few stompboxes effects for almost all our gigs. I have a 100 tube head & halfstack, but that pretty much sits at our practice spot. The TM60 is plenty loud for a small bar & I always run it through a PA anyways. Easy to haul around, quick setup & it sounds good. The audience will like our band because were tight, have good vocals, good stage presence, etc. Playing through a TM60 or a $3000 tube amp really has nothing to do with it.

It's all personal choice, the TM60 sounds good, but maybe something else will work better for you.

• Members
Originally posted by Lump

I've got the Pod Live XT. AND I've got the trademark 60. (so I guess I'm your man huh?)

The trademark definately gives me a warmer tone. And the slightly breaking up tones are much better than the pod. In fact all the tones I get on the trademark are very very nice. Warm and fat, which are terms others use to describe tubes.

The POD excels at bringing in effects, moving through tone changes, heavy and clear tones. Not that the mild dirt tones are bad, but IF it has a weak spot I'd say that's probably it.

I guess it depends on your band. Are you going to be doing alot of covers? If so the pod's flexibility might be a big bonus. Do you have a decent PA? If so the pods quick set up may be helpfull. Do you record? The USB output is great. I love the computer editing, very simple to get things set up ahead of time.

Orrrrr, is your band more of a signiture tone band where you don't use alot of different effects, and have a certain sound. In that case the trademark might be better.

Both are very good products for what they do, I guess it just depends on what your going to be asking them to do.

I hope that helps.
:wave:

Hey, you're not my man!

Anyways, we're no cover band....we play originals.

We don't play heavy metal.

We're a 4-piece indie/punk/rock band with original songs.

Effects? Well, I basically just use delay a lot. I can probably just buy a delay pedal.

• Members

Originally posted by Jshannon59

I have been playing a trademark 60 for many years. The clean channel is fantastic. About a year ago I bought a Vox Tonelab and it sounds fantastic through the Tech21. As a matter of fact I never play the Trademark 60 without the Tonelab running through it. I know this doesn't answer your question about the Pod, but the Tonelab made the Trademark even better.

I had a few questions in the other thread, but anyways.

1) Is it noisy? I will be using single-coils. If I don't strum or play while it's turned on, will it still have noise?

2) At gigging volumes or band rehearsals, does it feedback a lot?

3) How well does it clean up when it has mid gain?

• Members

Originally posted by Bassified

I had a few questions in the other thread, but anyways.

1) Is it noisy? I will be using single-coils. If I don't strum or play while it's turned on, will it still have noise?

2) At gigging volumes or band rehearsals, does it feedback a lot?

3) How well does it clean up when it has mid gain?

I have mine right here. I have it turned up a little louder than my typical gig levels. Using a Squier 51.

1) A little noise with single coils. Goes away when I turn down the guitar volume slightly or switch to the humbucker.

2) No feedback issues

3) Channel 1: Fender channel - cleans up well if you have the drive cranked pretty high & then turn down your guitar volume. Channel 2: British channel - cleans up, but still has some fuzziness to the tone, so not as good as the Fender channel.

• Members

Originally posted by tkachuk07

I have mine right here. I have it turned up a little louder than my typical gig levels. Using a Squier 51.

1) A little noise with single coils. Goes away when I turn down the guitar volume slightly or switch to the humbucker.

2) No feedback issues

3) Channel 1: Fender channel - cleans up well if you have the drive cranked pretty high & then turn down your guitar volume. Channel 2: British channel - cleans up, but still has some fuzziness to the tone, so not as good as the Fender channel.

Well I do have the SansAmp GT2.

Is the tone similar to the Trademark 60?

Archived