Heritage G12-65

BigED

• Members

those speakers are more designed for the 'vintage' sound probably not tight or clear enough for modern metal...but just my opinion..I have the Heritage 12M 20 watt speakers and love them for the 60's-70's speaker break-up tone:thu:

• Members

if you ever heard a 80,s jcm800 cab, with 260 watt rating, thats those speakers.
i got a old cab with those in it.
it sounds great, but really honky. it is one of the most recorded cabs in the 80,s.
supposed to be a higher powered g12m, but i dont hear that at all.
nice , but not my fave.

• Members

But are they worth $100 more per speaker? I just don't want to waste the money if the sound will only be a little better than a V30/G12T75 setup.

If you could only afford two 12-65s, and two "regular priced" speakers, would you go for a 12-65/V30 combination or a 12-65/G12T75 combination?

• Members

Originally posted by BigED

But are they worth $100 more per speaker? I just don't want to waste the money if the sound will only be a little better than a V30/G12T75 setup.

If you could only afford two 12-65s, and two "regular priced" speakers, would you go for a 12-65/V30 combination or a 12-65/G12T75 combination?

I think the G1265/V30 combo would be really cool...

I'm not a fan of the G12T75...

• Members

I have some original 15ohm G12-65s. They seem more vintage then "modern" to my ears, but that doesn't mean they won't do metal.

I swear by them for 6 strings, but they get flubby with the 7 string and I imagine they would for downtuned guitars as well.

They're sort of a really loud greenback with a bit more bite.

-W

• Members

I think weber makes a clone for these for less than what celestion offers. That being said you can probably buy used ones on ebay for less.

https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/1265f.htm

I'm not sure if the original ones come with doping or not though.

• Members

Hmmm...I'm torn now. I like the idea that they are warm and supposedly sound great...but I don't want something with flubby lows. I do a lot of fast picking rhythms so I need something that'll keep its composure and thrive under fast attacks.

I need something that sounds really heavy and fairly modern.

• Members

Originally posted by The*Ataris

I think the G1265/V30 combo would be really cool...

I'm not a fan of the G12T75...

That's what I use in both 2 x 12 and 4 x 12 cabs right now, they sound good, I wouldn't say that's a combo good for super-tight, dark, thrash-matal, but old school 70-80's metal, yeah.

I play medium volume rock to hard rock and they kick pretty good with a 50 watt head, no problem. With a 100 watter, it's evn cleaner sounding. I think the 65s need a little push wattage wise to sound their best.

They blend well and seem to fill in each other's tone/freq holes.

I only have three vintage G65s so I can't stick them all in my 4 x 12 cab to hear how that'd sound. I was at Mark Cameron's shop a while back and he had a ratty looking 4 x 12 Marshall cab with those 65s and it did sound good!

• Members

I have vintage G12-65's from either the 70's or 80's idk...bought them in a cabinet from my cousin. They are loud as {censored}. They are a bit harsh, but ive never heard any other speakers...lol sooo. I'd probably check out v30's as they are probably the most popular in todays modern metal scene.

• Members

Hmmm...I'm torn now. I like the idea that they are warm and supposedly sound great...but I don't want something with flubby lows. I do a lot of fast picking rhythms so I need something that'll keep its composure and thrive under fast attacks.

I need something that sounds really heavy and fairly modern.

Sounds like V30s or G12H30s are your best choice. To me, Greenbacks are all about loose lows if you drive em hard. The 65s have some greenback honky character to them IMO.

Archived