Slightly OT: Recording Interface that allows keyboard monitoring when offline

Binkeys

• Members

I'd like to swap out my recording interface. I'm currently running ProTools 8 with an 002 R, which I upgraded from an 001 a number of years back. I'm generally happy with it, but the 002 does not allow me to pass audio directly to my monitors, without launching ProTools and record enabling a track. So, I am unable to practice/play my keyboards through my speakers unless my computer is on AND ProTools running.

My 001 had a button on the front that would allow me to monitor audio even while the computer was off.

I'd like to continue using ProTools and my understanding is that ProTools 9 allows me to use non Avid/DIGI/M-Audio interfaces. So, can anyone reccommend a good unit that would offer roughly the same (or better) specs as the 002, but allow me to pass audio through even while the computer is off?

Thanks!

• Members

Why not just a simple mixer upstream - pass through normally when the computer is on but use Aux sends/Monitor out on the mixer whe you want to practice off to the side.

With my rig, I run everything into a HD multitrracker, but sometimes I want to redirect to the sampler, so I use one of those $65 Berhinger 802 mixers upstream of the multitracker to be able to split the signals where I want them to go.. works perfectly fine for the intended purpose.

• Members

RME Fireface 800

From the description in the link above:

"All settings including TotalMix are recalled during boot via flash memory. After making all desired settings, the device works stand-alone even without computer as a submixer, A/D and D/A-converter, headphone mixer, format converter, instrument or microphone pre-amplifier, monitoring mixer and much more."

• Members

Hay, thanks for the suggestions guys! Looks like I've got some research to do.

Of the choices, which would you recommend assuming price was not an issue and which would you recommend in the $600-$800 range?

Thanks again!

• Members

From the description in the link above:

"All settings including TotalMix are recalled during boot via flash memory. After making all desired settings, the device works stand-alone even without computer as a submixer, A/D and D/A-converter, headphone mixer, format converter, instrument or microphone pre-amplifier, monitoring mixer and much more."

Confirmed. I do this with mine alot, when i don't feel like futzing with the computer. The Presonus Firestudio line does this, too.

• Members

the apogee ensemble does this. there's an led at the front that's blue when the lappi is hooked up and green in standalone. it also turns red when skynet is online but that's neither here nor there.

the only concern i'd have with a system like that is having additional trips through the ad/da may colour the sound. some manufacturers might have analog routing in the interface but for the ensemble it doesn't.

for listening to vinyl i just plug my turntable mixer straight into my studio monitors. not really a big issue but a simple analog mixer might be more transparent.

*edit: afaik the ensemble and ff800 use the same ic preamp:

http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/pga2500.pdf

dunno if that makes them more or less the same with other factors involved with gain staging, ad/da, etc. the pres on my ensemble sound clean and clear plus there's analog inserts and plug-ins if its gotta get dirty

• Members

I wouldn't buy a firewire-only interface. Firewire is definitely being phased out, and it was mostly used for digital video recorders, so there's not a wide range of legacy devices still to be supported. It's getting difficult to find new computers that come with firewire ports, and future OS support for firewire is likely to be dodgy at best. USB is a better bet.

Archived