second cab: 2x12 or 4x12???

Sordid1

• Members

I'm still in the thinking phase since I don't have any funds yet but sometime this year I want to add a second cab. I'm debating between a second Gflex 4x12 or a Gflex 2x12 and switch out the speakers and make it 8 ohm. Is there much of a volume difference between a 2x12 and 4x12? I'm thinking of ease of transportation and a second 4x12 sounds like a pain. Discuss.

• Members

Originally posted by Sordid1

I'm still in the thinking phase since I don't have any funds yet but sometime this year I want to add a second cab. I'm debating between a second Gflex 4x12 or a Gflex 2x12 and switch out the speakers and make it 8 ohm. Is there much of a volume difference between a 2x12 and 4x12? I'm thinking of ease of transportation and a second 4x12 sounds like a pain. Discuss.

I think it's perceived volume more than anything else, man..the way the sound travels to your ears..a 2x12 might be harder to hear if you're close to it rather than a 4x12 cause the speakers are lower to the ground...

but havin' a 2x12 is nice for when you'refeeling lazy =D

• Members

Well If the reason for you buying a second cab is ease of transportation, than you should buy a 212. If you want something different than also a 212 or a different 412. But if you want to go full stack than another 412 i guess...

• Members

Originally posted by peehoo

Well If the reason for you buying a second cab is ease of transportation, than you should buy a 212. If you want something different than also a 212 or a different 412. But if you want to go full stack than another 412 i guess...

Well I would probably put the other cab on the other side of the drummer to fill out my stage volume and get some different speakers to fill out the frequency spectrum some. If it's just percieved volume than i'm not worried about it, I could always put it up on a chair or something.

• Members

Originally posted by Sordid1

Is there much of a volume difference between a 2x12 and 4x12?

Depends mostly on the efficiency of the speakers and to some degree their power handling ability, not the number of them.

• Members

Originally posted by GCDEF

Depends mostly on the efficiency of the speakers and to some degree their power handling ability, not the number of them.

That makes sense, I figured the differences wouldn't be worth the added pain of lugging a second 4x12 around and I can get the 2x12 and a pair of speakers a lot cheaper as well which helps.

• Members
Originally posted by cobrahead1030

to have more versatility and options, a 2x12 is nice

but if you're gonna play live with two cabs all the time, go for broke and get another 4x12
:D

That was my original thought than reality set in and I thought about the fact that since it would be such a pain I might end up leaving it at home half the time. We practice in my basement so I have to carry the damn thing up and down the stairs which is anything but fun. Maybe I just need to get a house with a walk out basement to solve the issue :)

• Members
Originally posted by The Evil Dr. X

I'm becoming a fan of ported or semi open back cabs for the stage. Personally, I like a compact 4x12 like the old Mesa open / closed back cabs. They are heavy, but with casters are easy to move, plus they sound GREAT !
:eek:
You get the benefits of both an open back and a closed back.

I'm not a fan of open back amps for heavier stuff but I do like them for clean and blues stuff. I'm going closed back for sure I just am trying to decide what size. I'm really leaning towards the 2x12 route when the time comes.

• Members

having two cabs in different locations is definetly cool

my 2x12 stays upstairs in my computer room with my amp and guitars...my 4x12 stays downstairs...when I wanna use the 2x12 it's easy to carry up and down the stairs....and sometimes when I can snag the wife's SUV, I just roll the 4x12 from the garage and load it up..every so often I'll set up the amp and guitars and 4x12 down in the living room when I wanna play through that cab at home...I usually end up gigging with the 4x12..probably cause I don't have it set up at home all that much

• Members
Originally posted by shreder75

having two cabs in different locations is definetly cool

my 2x12 stays upstairs in my computer room with my amp and guitars...my 4x12 stays downstairs...when I wanna use the 2x12 it's easy to carry up and down the stairs....and sometimes when I can snag the wife's SUV, I just roll the 4x12 from the garage and load it up..every so often I'll set up the amp and guitars and 4x12 down in the living room when I wanna play through that cab at home...I usually end up gigging with the 4x12..probably cause I don't have it set up at home all that much

That was kind of my thought process and if I had to leave my rig somewhere I could at least bring home the 2x12 and the power block and have something to play thru. I think I have officially made up my mind on the 2x12 now I just need cash and to keep myself from being wishy washy when I finally get the money :)

• 2 months later...
  • Members

i think a 2x12 would be a better investment, cause if you ever play a small gig and dont want to lug a 4x12 youll have a small option!

That's really what i'm leaning towards. I'm going Genz Benz either way because I want it to match. The only thing with the 2x12 is that I need to get new speakers so it will be 8 ohms. The plus side in doing that is that i'll get a fuller sound out of my rig as well. I guess it will come down to which I can find used in the next few weeks.

Archived