Went to a KRONOS demo by Rich Formadoni last night...

Karma1

• Members

Not quite true. You can use the pedals as modulation sources (AMS) in programs on all parameters that are modulatable. Since Trinity.

However yes, Kurzweil is a lot more flexible in this matter.

Sure you can. I knov about that. But that works only for the standard midi CC parameters. Not for the hold function, tap tempo and a couple of other parameters. Once you set your pedal as a hold/sustain pedal, it can not do anything else.

• Members

Well here's what I've been using:

FCB1010_P0089_Left_XL.jpg

Of the two pedals, I use the far right for volume and the one on the left for expression. The 10 pedal switches: I use one for damper, susteneto, portamento, SW1, SW2. The top 5 are favorite patches. You have to install the UNO mod to use the pedals as momentaries but that's easy enough...

Thanks, I've seen that gadget before. It's something to consider if I can't find another workaround.

• Members

Big, super-important question from me: does the Kronos have a fan built-in? I absolutely hate fan noise, of any sort, it turns everything into 12-bit mush in terms of sound quality (what I can hear) as far as I'm concerned.

• Members

That's one I hadn't heard before...

Does your computer also turn everything into 12-bit mush?

It does, but apparently it's a pretty quiet one... and one of the reasons why they went with the Atom processor is that it needs very little cooling.

• Members

Big, super-important question from me: does the Kronos have a fan built-in? I absolutely hate fan noise, of any sort, it turns everything into 12-bit mush in terms of sound quality (what I can hear) as far as I'm concerned.

Yes at least one fan.. if not more...

Not just the noise but sods law and it may also make some units vibrate a little... Deal breaker for me, I like switch on and go with no fans..

They will get there one day as the power is starting to go beyound the needs of the synth, they will be able to use the next generation of processors on the next one, I would say within the next 5 years, looking forward to that...

The synth I am eyeing up drains less power than a Fantom so I am pretty sure it will be fan free, I hear it boots quickly too... YAY

• Members

I got a complaint from a family member the other day for switching on a PC that is very quite (the one I use with my MV for files and wave managment). It's a case of sod's law, that particular PC sitting on its floor self must be resonating the floor, it really is a quite PC and lucky for me it hardly gets used so it does not impact me as they are not always in the room below... They have never noticed the MV being on, so there is hope... LOL

As the saying goes YMMV... I say live and let live ... The boys from Korg know I mean well and will take on board serious comments from future Customers....

• Members

Back to the serious Kronos review they also said:

''Does he mean it is louder than OASYS (being this the easier conclusion), or does he mean it sounds weird and/or disturbing in any other way? (Again quoting him: "I could see myself swithching it off for crucial studio listening"...) ''

• Members

Not all fans are created equal. Up 'til now, I didn't even have any idea that the Kronos even has a fan. I can't make any claim about the noise level from the one I played at NAMM due to the overall noise level in the place, but I certainly didn't feel any vibration.

Anyway, I think it's premature to write off the Kronos solely because it *gasp* has a fan.

• Members

Not all fans are created equal. Up 'til now, I didn't even have any idea that the Kronos even has a fan. I can't make any claim about the noise level from the one I played at NAMM due to the overall noise level in the place, but I certainly didn't feel any vibration.

Anyway, I think it's premature to write off the Kronos solely because it *gasp* has a fan.

As I say YMMV, a big investment for me and the writing is already on the wall (or should I say ceiling ... LOL)

Folks need to realise everyone will have differing needs ... Live and let live ... take what I say with a pinch salt ... go outside and enjoy the sun ... peace

Archived