Where is the Korg Kronos being built? Do I have to fear this location?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

They pretty much threw a whole PC in there, didn't they?

But I'm afraid it
really is
radioactive. I turned off all the lights in here but the images still eerily glowed from my monitor with glowing atomo-nucular luminescence.

:eek:

I just watched a tonne of declassified nuke test stuff and I say the whole world is pretty well covered by now. Not sure how we can escape it.

• Members

So Openlabs put a pc in a keyboard and everyone screamed they hacked it together but...

...Korg does the same thing and every fanboi screams game changer. Whatever.

They could of at least left access to the vga port for an external monitor.

There are a lot of softsynths as good or better than whats in the Kronos but, after I try it I could maybe see getting one.

:lol:

• Members

Cute diagram! But of course that's all background radiation which has existed since the dawn of man and we've evolved mechanisms to deal with it. I did mention in my post that there are modern sources of radiation ABOVE background levels that are probably far worse than anything you'd find on a (tainted) Kronos: granite countertops, ceramic toilet bowls and bathroom sinks, and also let me add coal-burning plants which spew tons of radiactive particles into the atmospehere a year. Frankly I would rather live next to a modern nuclear reactor than a dirty coal-burning plant any day.

• Members

So Openlabs put a pc in a keyboard and everyone screamed they hacked it together but...

...Korg does the same thing and every fanboi screams game changer. Whatever.

They could of at least left access to the vga port for an external monitor.

There are a lot of softsynths as good or better than whats in the Kronos but, after I try it I could maybe see getting one.

once again, Kronos is not your uncles $600 PC

• Members

Yep, the Kronos is way overpriced, when all it has is a $200 mo-bo in it.

Especially overpriced since it certianly doesn't have a whole 'nother board in there with custom ICs, it doesn't have a totally customized Linux environment and UI (because, you know, those programmer all work for free). There's no SSD, no keyboard, no hardware controls to speak of, no display of any kind, no case whatsoever. And besides all that, Kronos' are spontanteously self-assembling! Even the R&D just fell out of the sky!

So how can they have the audacity to charge for anything more than that $200 mother board, since that's all it has in it?

What a rip-off!

• Members

Yep, the Kronos is way overpriced, when all it has is a $200 mo-bo in it.

Especially overpriced since it certianly doesn't have a whole 'nother board in there with custom ICs, it doesn't have a totally customized Linux environment and UI (because, you know, those programmer all work for free). There's no SSD, no keyboard, no hardware controls to speak of, no display of any kind, no case whatsoever. And besides all that, Kronos' are spontanteously self-assembling! Even the R&D just fell out of the sky!

This also describes the Oasys and Openlab products. The thing is a lot of the Kronos R&D was paid for by the Oasys. The Linux os, the softsynths and I'm sure a lot of the controller software all came from the Oasys. Take an off the shelf pc board, off the shelf power supply, a controller board and you have the Kronos. Don't get me wrong I think the Kronos is pretty cool but, I would guess there is a lot more custom stuff in a Jupiter 80 than the Kronos. Just sayin.

• Members

the keyboard itself, high quality keybed with aftertouch, with the sliders, buttons, touchscreen, ribbon, joystick I would guess $1500 is a fair price comparing to Maudio/novation stuffs

ok let's make is $1000

then, industrial strength SSD, let's say $200 ?

subtotal = $1200

ok, cheap mobo and CPU u say? $100

subtotal == $1300

HD-1 multigigabyte contents , $200 is fair price you'd think?

subtotal = $1500

the other synth engines - $500 fair? no? $300 after discount?

subtotal = $1800

what about the built-in dsps/ics/audio interface, ad/da converters/controller board - well maybe $300 ?

subtotal = $2100

manufacturing cost ? R&D ? programmer's salary ?

I challenge anyone to assemble an intel atom CPU + keyboard controller + audio interface that is more capable than kronos. make it a $4000 challenge !

Archived