Here it is finally - Hardware Beat Thang! - Holla!

• Members

In the end, this product came to market too late ... There may be another chance for it ... But the money was to be made 3-5 years ago ... I also think hip-hop, while still wildly important, is not the cultural steamroller it once was ...

It also looks kind of clunky in this post-pc age ... I know it wont have pads, but I think I'd almost rather have something like this on a tablet with a small pad controller ... (Maybe I'm not mobile cool, but I do not plan on tapping out beats on the roof of my ride ... )

Who knows ... I'm still intrigued by it ... It just seems pricey now ...

It is kind of pricey at $1500. $999 would have been a better price point. But with a limited run of 1,000, they may sell them all anyway -- especially if it manages to become a prestige item. In hip hop, it's a big deal to have something unique that others don't (or can't) have. There is also a measure of pride in the fact that this is the first piece of hardware produced by a black-owned business (as far as I know) explicitly FOR hip hop artists.

So, kudos to them. I hope it's a success.

And I think you're right. Hip hop is not so much a cultural steamroller these days as a *commercial* one. It's pretty much a fixture in the lives of college and high school kids -- of all cultures and ethnic groups. But the message is no longer there. Lots of image, though.

• Members

Lame video. Way too late to the game. They couldn't live up to their own hype, and had to pass the torch on to someone else. They came in with their chest all puffed out and ended up with their tails between their legs. Ugly design with useless "bling" that does nothing but add to the price.

Meh indeed.

• Members

i am finding this to be more and more true as time marches on. hip hop has irrevocably fused with dance music at this point, and that is what people are listening to. i hear more 909-style than 808 anymore...

but when was hip-hop really about the 808 anyway? maybe a handful of tracks very early on, and the Beastie boys used it quite a bit on Licenced To Ill, but other than a few tracks here and there over the years i don't think it was ever really much of a thing in hip-hop. i wouldn't say that Miami Bass or that southern crunk {censored} from a few years ago counts either. when i think of hip-hop it's something like the DMX or straight samples, not the 808.

• Members

but when was hip-hop really about the 808 anyway? maybe a handful of tracks very early on, and the Beastie boys used it quite a bit on
Licenced To Ill
, but other than a few tracks here and there over the years i don't think it was ever really much of a thing in hip-hop. i wouldn't say that Miami Bass or that southern crunk {censored} from a few years ago counts either. when i think of hip-hop it's something like the DMX or straight samples, not the 808.

There was a time when Miami bass was pretty big... at least in the South. That was the late 80s, early 90s. 2 Live Crew era, and a whole lot of other Southern party rap bands with one-off "hits" (Whoomp There It Is, Tootsie Roll, etc.) NWA also used the 808 along with the Beasties but other than the Miami bass party type hip-hop I wouldn't consider the 808 *too* huge in the scene.

In the modern market I think the more interesting question now is whether a hardware sampler can compete with a DAW. Almost all hip-hop that I hear anything about is software production. Akai still makes MPCs so I guess there is a market for them, I just never hear of a production using them these days.

Archived