Let's talk about the Peavey 6505+

Meatbeard

• Members

I played one in the store yesterday through the stock 6505 cab and it sounded awesome. I cant wait to hear one through a great cab with V30's :eek: :eek: :eek: .

On the lead channel, it sounded nice and thick.... pretty tight as well.

Maybe I'm strange, but, the only way I could get it to sound the way that I really like it was to set the Resonance to about 6 and the Presence to around 9. I like it really in your face. Through that cab, if I set the presence any lower than that, it sounded very stand offish and sounding like it was covered by a big blanket.

But, damn, I want this amp soon. Does it record pretty well???

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've sold my 5150 cab and since decided (after trying other cabs) that the 5150 sounds like complete {censored} with that amp. Yes you have to crank the presence because the 5150 cab sounds like you are playing through a dead log. Try a Marshall cab with G12T-75s. Much more alive and in your face without cranking the presence.

• Members

I'm selling my 5150 for studio equipment (I just downsized my rig to a Fender Bandmaster + Avatar Premier 2x12 w/ Hellatone 60s), but once I have enough money again I will probably buy another one. I just don't have any desire to play in any heavy bands at the moment, but the 5150 kills, especially with a Bad Monkey boost.

• Members

I also use a Mesa Recto cab with my 6505+. I love the tone, but it can get pretty spiky. I run my presence around 5, treble around 5 as well.

I'm waiting on a couple new Madison cabs, a V30 loaded 4x12 and a G12T75 loaded 4x12. Sorta the X pattern on a larger scale!

• Members

I have the 5150 II, the same thing as the 6505 +. Truly an amazing heavy metal amp... I play mine through a mesa cab with vintage 30's, very raw, and punchy. So in your face and sizzling that I turn my presence down to about 4.

The 5150II has more of a mid range voicing, correct???

I have heard many professional bands make 5150's sound like absolute mud live, even through marshall cabs.

I tend to really prefer the 6505+.

My plan is to get an Avatar Vintage 4x12 with Hellatone 60's (broken in vintage 30's) and see if that combo sounds awesome. I imagine that it would.

• Members

I also use a Mesa Recto cab with my 6505+. I love the tone, but it can get pretty spiky. I run my presence around 5, treble around 5 as well.

I'm waiting on a couple new Madison cabs, a V30 loaded 4x12 and a G12T75 loaded 4x12. Sorta the X pattern on a larger scale!

I got my Madison cabs before they were loaded with Celestians. But i LOVE the Madison speakers in them.

• Members

I never palyed mine through the matching cab because of all the unfavorable reviews. I loved they way they sound when I had two Mesa 4x12's w/ V30's and the Randalls w/ the same speakers. I'm picking up two new 4x12's w/ v30's and gt75's and am expecting nothing but great tone.

I use both of my heads for recording my band and other bands when they have sub-par amps and it has ALWAYS performed well.

Hope this helps on your quest for tone.

• Members

I got my Madison cabs before they were loaded with Celestians. But i LOVE the Madison speakers in them.

The last time I saw Darkest Hour, Kris Norris was playing a 6505+ through a Madison 4x12, and it sounded awesome. Of course, it helps that he's amazing ha.

• Members

I never palyed mine through the matching cab because of all the unfavorable reviews. I loved they way they sound when I had two Mesa 4x12's w/ V30's and the Randalls w/ the same speakers. I'm picking up two new 4x12's w/ v30's and gt75's and am expecting nothing but great tone.

I use both of my heads for recording my band and other bands when they have sub-par amps and it has ALWAYS performed well.

Hope this helps on your quest for tone.

The 6505 cabs sound like cardboard, yet, the amp still manages to sound good through them. That leads me to believe that they could sound amazing through an really nice cab paired up with the appropriate speakers.

• Members

I played one in the store yesterday through the stock 6505 cab and it sounded awesome. I cant wait to hear one through a great cab with V30's
:eek:

Maybe I'm strange, but, the only way I could get it to sound the way that I really like it was to set the Resonance to about 6 and the Presence to around 9. I like it really in your face. Through that cab, if I set the presence any lower than that, it sounded very stand offish and sounding like it was covered by a big blanket.

i tried one thro v30s and they rock, i also use alot of presence and upper end,and with the v30s u can dail plenty and they will get more aggresive without getting unpleasant

• Members

When ever I have tried the 5150 thorugh the Madison cab they were WAAAAYYY to fizzy. I kept checking to see if there was a swarm of bees chasing me.

How long ago was this? Madisons come loaded with V30's, T75's, 70/80's or V30/T75 X pattern now. Before the Celestion dealio, they were loaded with Madison speakers, which IIRC were called Symphony's, which were T75 clones.

• Members

Just got my new 6505+ head yesterday....just waiting on my new Avatar cab which should be here tomorrow. I chose it over a bunch of other amps I tested 2 weeks ago because IMO it sounded better than all the other amps I tried but one...and that one was way out of my price range.

As I mentioned in another thread, mine came with JJ and Sovtek-LPS preamp tubes which surprised me a little. I have some new preamp and power amp tubes that I may or may not swap in.

It's not the most versatile amp, but that's OK...I'll get me another amp for pristine cleans.

• Members

This was about 3 years ago so it very well may have been the older speaker. That's great if they changed the speaker because the cab itself was built really well and I liked how it seemed a little deeper than most.

• Members

I played one in the store yesterday through the stock 6505 cab and it sounded awesome. I cant wait to hear one through a great cab with V30's

I usually keep the resonance around 5, and presence at 10 on most Peaveys. I can't wait to get my 6505 Plus, and Marshall 1960BV. :thu:

• Members

I've sold my 5150 cab and since decided (after trying other cabs) that the 5150 sounds like complete {censored} with that amp. Yes you have to crank the presence because the 5150 cab sounds like you are playing through a dead log. Try a Marshall cab with G12T-75s. Much more alive and in your face without cranking the presence.

Just my opinion, but to me the Celestion G12T-75's are possibly the worst sounding speakers they've ever made. They sound so thin, and tinny to me, whereas the Vintage speakers sound much deeper, and richer. But, eh, to each his own. :D

• Members

I have heard many professional bands make 5150's sound like absolute mud live, even through marshall cabs.

My plan is to get an Avatar Vintage 4x12 with Hellatone 60's (broken in vintage 30's) and see if that combo sounds awesome. I imagine that it would.

Yes, more upper mids, and it is clearer.

• Members

I run my 6505+ though a genz-benz g-flex 2x12 and it sounds pretty good.

I played a 6505+ at guitar center a couple weeks ago through a 5150 cab and it didn't sound nearly as good to my ears as my setup does (although I biased my 6505+ quite a bit hotter than the stock 6505+'s so that could have made a big of difference too)

• Members

the only reason those bands probably sounded like mud live is because they dont know how to set up the amp and are probably running way too much gain. turn the mids up, and keep the bass and treble around noon. res and pres to taste (mine are around 4 and 7 respectively) and keep the gain at 4 or under and youll cut through the thickest mix with authority.

the II has more upper mids, but the original 5150 (or 6505) mids are voiced slightly lower. still plenty high in the frequency, and more than enough to cut through, but it sounds a bit thicker than a 5150 II.

i love my 5150, and ill never get rid of it :thu:

• Members

I agree. I just picked up a marshall 1960 lead cabinet and couldn't love it more, the 75's out tone my old cab's vintage 30's in a heartbeat. and I also couldn't love getting rid of my 5150II more.

Archived