Differences between EMG 81-7`s and 707`s

BAZGUITARMAN

• Members

Anyone have experience with both of these pickups? I`m looking at a 7-string for my next guitar. The Schecter Hellraiser 7-string has 707`s in the neck and bridge position. I`ve talked to a few players who like them and I`ve heard some players prefer the 81-7`s.

What exactly is the difference tone wise or output wise?

Are they the same size/dimension and interchangeable?

Check my sig. for my amp and stuff. Which pup would you choose in a mahogany guitar? Especially going through the 5150 II and V30`s.

Eric

• Members

I'm interested to know too, going to be buying my first 7 this week hopefully!

What are you planning on buying?

I was actually looking at an Ibanez RG7321. Which is a couple of hundred dollars cheaper, but I would have had to replace the pups and that would have required routing for EMG`s. Also I wanted the extended scale length that the Schecter has. And the mahogany body and set neck are also a plus. Just seemed like a better package over-all even if it`s more expensive.

Eric

• Members

Yep, the 81 7s come in the 707 shells. They're all interchangable. You really need to make sure the guitar is fitted for one of the emgs to use the others though, the casings are somewhat awkward, and wont work in a bunch of guitars.

the 81 7s are just that...81s, but 7 string versions. Sharp, bright, tight, and artiulate. The 707s retain many of those properties, but have a more 85 type sound to them. Beefy, and meaty...not really AS sharp as the 81s.

Hope that helps!

• Members

ahh, my kind of question...(i'm a 7 string guy)

i found that in the hellraiser, the 707 is more ballsy and round and seems to have higher output. not quite as clear as the 81-7 though. the 81-7 is more cutting and tight/clear with more appearant gain. both are great pickups, just depends on what you're looking for. with my mesa f-100, i lean a little more toward the 81-7 in the bridge, as the amp can get bassy pretty quick. when i had my fireball, i liked the 707 in the bridge a little more.

• Members

i found that in the hellraiser, the 707 is more ballsy and round and seems to have higher output. not quite as clear as the 81-7 though. the 81-7 is more cutting and tight/clear with more appearant gain. both are great pickups, just depends on what you're looking for. with my mesa f-100, i lean a little more toward the 81-7 in the bridge, as the amp can get bassy pretty quick. when i had my fireball, i liked the 707 in the bridge a little more.

Interesting since I have a Fireball (I assume this would go for your 6505 too Eric), have you played a 7620 - what are your thoughts?

• Members

Baz I got my 6 string Hellraiser today. Even after reading all the good stuff about this guitar, the guitar was beyond my expectations. Only spent a few mins with it and and I'm already in love with the guitar. Extremely heavy and chunky sounding. Tons of grind but still very, very clear.

• Members

Well, I`ll be going through my 5150 II, which we all know has plenty of bright upper mids and really tight bass. I like my 81 equipped guitars through the 5150 II, but I think I may want a little thicker tone in a 7-string. After all that`s what the extra string is for, right?

Thanks for the info guys.

Eric

• Members

Baz I got my 6 string Hellraiser today. Even after reading all the good stuff about this guitar, the guitar was beyond my expectations. Only spent a few mins with it and and I'm already in love with the guitar. Extremely heavy and chunky sounding. Tons of grind but still very, very clear.

Talal, that`s awesome bro. I`m glad for you man. I know you`ve been looking hard for a while. I`m excited for you. I love getting new guitars.

I`ve been really impressed with all the high end Schecter Diamond series guitars I`ve played. They feel just like my 1000 series LTD does. Just super clean and sturdy with killer fit and finish. And how can you go wrong with the hardware and electronics? Just top shelf all the way. Some people don`t like the thicker poly finish they have, but I`ve found that it doesn`t make much of a difference when using high output pups and going through a modern high gain amp. I`m seriously thinking the Hellraiser 7-string is what I`m going for.

Which finish did you get. The black or the see-through red?

Eric

• Members

Interesting since I have a Fireball (I assume this would go for your 6505 too Eric), have you played a 7620 - what are your thoughts?

sorry dude, wish i could tell you about the 7620, but havent played one in a long time, and it was used, so it wouldn't be a fair assessment. i do own an ibanez RG7321 (lower end) and did play it through the fireball. it had a basswood body and i upgraded it with dimarzio blaze pickups. i thought it sounded killer with the fireball. very punchy and thick sounding. however, i think the blaze custom would have been a little better for lead work with the fireball. (more midrange) rhythm-wise, the blaze was great. (more scooped sounding)

• Members

I have a C7Blackjack that I had a x2n and a d-sonic in and having an 81-7 and a 707 installed in it. Pretty much the same as an 81 and an 85 setup.. have to do some routing to get them in there also, unless you buy the hellraiser but I think the Blackjack series are better looking...Just buy both and switch them around..

• Members

I used to have a 7620 - they are pretty good guitars for the money - you will definately want to change those pickups though - the trem is worth the price of admission. See if you can find one in grey nickel - it's damn sexy guitar.

• Members

I had a pair of 707s in my rg back when the 81-7 didn't exist, and the 707 was still custom order - they cost me 840 australian dollars for a pair.....

Anyway - the 707 sounds more like an 85 than an 81 - due mainly to it's alnico magnet, it has more bass coming out of it, which makes the sound flubbier and more scooped than the 81 7. for fast metal the 81-7 is definately the way to go - however the 707 is a much nicer sounding pickup in the neck position and for any clean application - just like the old 81 - 85 combo.

Also - have a look at bare knuckle pickups - they do a passive pickup called the warpig that sounds chunky as {censored} - and it's passive, they also do one called the miracle man that is like a calmed down emg 81. My friend Dan from Oni guitars puts them on all his eight strings, they are in my experience the best passives out there.

• 6 months later...

Archived