Anybody use the Bassman 2*15 cab?

Jacked

• Members

My 68 came with the matching 2*15 cab. Debating whether or not to replace it (with a 2*12, or 4*12). What did you do? If you use yours, what type of music do you play?

If you've had to replace the speakers, what did you use and how does it sound?

Anything else you can tell me about these cabs will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

• Members

I've got a 68 too. I'll play metal one minute, jazz the next, and then rock. I've got the original speakers in there. I don't gig with it though... WAY too heavy to move around. It just sits in my studio and I use it for practise.

Mine is at the practice space, too. I haven't gigged with it yet but plan to (this band is not quite ready). I only have it and a Peavey Classic 50, so they'll both have to go so I have a backup.

FYI, the only 15" speakers I have seen for guitar that you can buy new are by Eminence. You can see them on their website. I just have the stock ones in mine, but I worry since they are so old (exactly as old as me!)

Do you have any pedals that go particularly well with yours? What guitars?

• Members

Mine is at the practice space, too. I haven't gigged with it yet but plan to (this band is not quite ready). I only have it and a Peavey Classic 50, so they'll both have to go so I have a backup.

FYI, the only 15" speakers I have seen for guitar that you can buy new are by Eminence. You can see them on their website. I just have the stock ones in mine, but I worry since they are so old (exactly as old as me!)

Do you have any pedals that go particularly well with yours? What guitars?

I use a BOSS GT-3 and a H&K Warp Factor. I've used a bunch of different guitars with it, and the two that sounded best were my friends cheap Strat and ym Dean with EMGs. The strat nailed regular modern rock tones and classic stuff, while my Dean just crushes.

• Members

You sure it's the 2x15 and not the big-ass 2x12? I have the big-ass 2x12 and it sounds GREAT!

You could be right. I didn't actually measure the speakers. I used the highly scientific method of shining a light through the grill and eyeballing 'em. Then I went running over to my 2*12 combo amp to compare and came back and said, "yep, those are 15's". So I coulda been off. I'd prefer to have 12's b/c of all the speaker possibilities out there...

Mine's way across the city at the practice space so can't check it now. When I first got it, I started to take the back off and take a peek inside but that thing has about 50 screws in it.

• Members

I use a BOSS GT-3 and a H&K Warp Factor. I've used a bunch of different guitars with it, and the two that sounded best were my friends cheap Strat and ym Dean with EMGs. The strat nailed regular modern rock tones and classic stuff, while my Dean just crushes.

I have used primarily just a distortion pedal with mine, a Boss MD2, and it sounds very good. I'm the singer/guitarist in a trio, so no time for doing the River Dance hitting a lot of different pedals (I'm not that coordinated). I've mainly played my MIA Strat into it. It rips. I'll have to look into the pedals you list...

BTW, I have read ~4 books by Jack. Awesome. Has helped make me a better songwriter...

Archived