OT: Anybody watching the Australian Open?

rememberduane

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I played competitive tennis from the time I was 8 years old till I was 22.

I went to college on a full tennis scholarship. LOVED the game.

Everyone seems to think serve and volley is the most exciting game to watch,

I think an all court game is the most exciting to watch being played. Take Borg for example: His game started as a baseline game. Big looping topspin shots from both wings. He would lull people to sleep with those big looping

shots, then all of a sudden he would flatten out his shot quite a bit and either

hit an outright winner or seriously damage his opponent into either a forced

error or simple a weak shot that he could pounce on with his next shot.

After McEnroe came along though you will notice, Borg changed his game quite a bit. He actually developed his serve into a weapon. It became an actually formidable serve with both placement and speed. He even would volley after good serves on both hard and grass courts.

I was a huge Johnny Mac fan. I loved his game. IMHO, he was simply an artist with a racquet. He eschewed standard tennis mechanics. I mean that you are "supposed" to volley with the racquet head higher than your wrist. Mac

volleyed with his racquet head dipped all the time. He also used a racquet that was strung loosely and weighted heavy so he could use an opponents pace against him. He would move in closer to the service line and take the ball on the rise, reducing the time the server had to react to his return. Plus, with the exception of Roger Federer, his footwork was second to none.

All that said, Federer is the best tennis player I have ever seen. I have seen most of the modern day tennis greats play in person starting with Jimmy Connors back in the early 70's. Federer regardless of racquet technologies or string technologies would still be the best player IMHO as his fundamentals, mental toughness and drive to win would remain the same.

Gary

• Members

Federer is absolutely the most classically perfect player on the ATP right now. Not to mention that he is an absolute gentleman and respects the tradition of the game.

I loved watching Johnny Mac play (I was really young when he was at his prime, being only 23 now). He was just so passionate about the game, and really knew how to mentally beat his opponents along with outgaming them.

• Members

I played competitive tennis from the time I was 8 years old till I was 22.

I went to college on a full tennis scholarship. LOVED the game.

Everyone seems to think serve and volley is the most exciting game to watch,

I think an all court game is the most exciting to watch being played. Take Borg for example: His game started as a baseline game. Big looping topspin shots from both wings. He would lull people to sleep with those big looping

shots, then all of a sudden he would flatten out his shot quite a bit and either

hit an outright winner or seriously damage his opponent into either a forced

error or simple a weak shot that he could pounce on with his next shot.

After McEnroe came along though you will notice, Borg changed his game quite a bit. He actually developed his serve into a weapon. It became an actually formidable serve with both placement and speed. He even would volley after good serves on both hard and grass courts.

I was a huge Johnny Mac fan. I loved his game. IMHO, he was simply an artist with a racquet. He eschewed standard tennis mechanics. I mean that you are "supposed" to volley with the racquet head higher than your wrist. Mac

volleyed with his racquet head dipped all the time. He also used a racquet that was strung loosely and weighted heavy so he could use an opponents pace against him. He would move in closer to the service line and take the ball on the rise, reducing the time the server had to react to his return. Plus, with the exception of Roger Federer, his footwork was second to none.

All that said, Federer is the best tennis player I have ever seen. I have seen most of the modern day tennis greats play in person starting with Jimmy Connors back in the early 70's. Federer regardless of racquet technologies or string technologies would still be the best player IMHO as his fundamentals, mental toughness and drive to win would remain the same.

Gary

Awesome Gary -- we learn new things about forumites every day. You'd probably love a good chat with my mom as she was a top tennis teaching professional in Florida for decades, recently retired. I actually taught as her assistant for several years, but I haven't for about two now. I think when I come back I'm going to start teaching again under a friend of hers and get my USPTA certification so I can make some cash off private lessons. I still rue the fact that I didn't take up tennis seriously.. I always had talent and would win the tournaments that my mom's tennis clubs would hold, even though I rarely played, up until I was about 14 at which point I 100% quit playing and started teaching the little kids (4-10 year olds). But alas baseball was my favorite. I had college scouts when I was 13 and a 70mph fastball. Then I separated my shoulder.

My sister was #1 in Florida until middle school (when she slipped on a book at school and fell down the stairs, permanently injuring her right elbow) -- she studied with Mark Massey, just like the Williams sisters did, and Andy Roddick, and I think Mardy Fish did for a while when he lived in Vero as well.

• Members

I've honestly never seen a player dominate a Grand Slam championship like this. Federer still has not dropped a set, and just made Andy Roddick, arguably the only one with a chance of beating him in this situation, look like an amateur. The harder the challenge, the better Federer plays... Andy didn't even play poorly from my understanding and seeing the last set, he just was immensely outplayed.

• Members

I've honestly never seen a player dominate a Grand Slam championship like this. Federer still has not dropped a set, and just made Andy Roddick, arguably the only one with a chance of beating him in this situation, look like an amateur. The harder the challenge, the better Federer plays... Andy didn't even play poorly from my understanding and seeing the last set, he just was immensely outplayed.

True... he

• Members

It's amazing watching R Fed disassemble players like he does. He plays so smart and is so classical in his strokes. It inspires me to get out and play more often in hopes that I can get even close to his stroke level.

And for once, the big name in tennis isn't a guy who tears the cover off of the ball every time he hits it. Men's tennis has needed a finesse player like R Fed to bring that style back.

Archived