OT: Anybody watching the Australian Open?

rememberduane

• Members

The Nadal v. Murray match yesterday was a battle!

Both Federer and Roddick are on top of their games.. I've never seen Roddick play like this and Federer hasn't dropped a set yet. They're meeting in the semis and I think the winner of that match is going to take the tournament. Nadal is awesome but I don't think he'll be able to take either of those guys, even though he showed the true signs of a champion yesterday against Murray by playing much better in the fifth set than in the first. They just seem superhuman right now.

I think it's Connors' influence on Roddick, and I'm hoping to see him take the tournament and start winning more often -- the guy has some of the best game in tennis.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Glad to see you guys enjoy such a great sport. :thu:

I agree -- Nadal has been playing better since he's leaned out his muscle a bit. He showed he has some of the best stamina in the game in the Murray match yesterday.

It probably will be a Federer v. Nadal final, and they are turning into a modern Sampras/Agassi, but I really think Roddick's training from Courier is paying off. The guy has the game -- he has the best serve in tennis -- he just wasn't WINNING, which is why he got Courier to coach him. And he put Mardy Fish out 6-2 6-2 6-2 after Fish made a huge comeback run this tournament. Fish is saying he thinks Roddick is going to take it all the way.

All I can say is I think the Federer/Roddick match in the semis will be better than the finals, even though that's going to be one hell of a match as well. I'm glad to see at least one sport I love isn't sucking.

• Members

He put up a great fight against Nadal, that's for sure.

see to be honest i only started watching it again because of murray! I used to play it but gave it up like every other sport, i mean i almost made it into the scotland team for badminton. Anyway yeah i think murray brings alot of excitement back into it for me!

• Members

Bollocks! You mark my words -- give Nadal 2 years and Federer's "I win everything" days will be over with. I'm putting my money on him as the dark horse for the new King of men's tennis.
:thu:

Sure, Federer is five years older so eventually Nadal will catch up :) But since Nadal came out as a certified star, I get the feeling that Federer has actually widened the gap between them playing-wise rather than Nadal catching up. Nadal was way more dangerous to Federer then than he is now... or is noone else seeing this but me? :D

• Members

It probably will be a Federer v. Nadal final, and they are turning into a modern Sampras/Agassi, but I really think Roddick's training from Courier is paying off. The guy has the game -- he has the best serve in tennis -- he just wasn't WINNING, which is why he got Courier to coach him. And he put Mardy Fish out 6-2 6-2 6-2 after Fish made a huge comeback run this tournament. Fish is saying he thinks Roddick is going to take it all the way.

Major correction... Roddick is being coached by Jimmy Connors, not Jim Courier.

• Members

The scary thing is that Federer is only 25, and has yet to reach his physical peak, and Nadal is 21. These guys are going to be like Agassi/Sampras for a long time.

And I have the utmost respect fo Federer, not simply because of his rediculous talent, but because of his sportsmanship. I love watching Federer play, along with Bagdhatis.

• Members

I think there's just too big of a gap between Roger Federer and the rest of the ATP. Andy Roddick is a good tennis player, but Federer has a 12-1 lifetime record against him. I hope for Andy's sake he beats Roger, but I just don't see it happening.

While Federer/Nadal is a great rivalry, I don't think Nadal has a chance against Federer on the hardcourts. If the match was on the red clay at Roland Garros, I'd take Nadal. Nadal played very well against Federer at Wimbledon last year, but I just don't see him taking 3 sets from Roger. I think most of Nadal's victories against Federer have been on clay. I think Federer would take winning the French Open versus winning the other 3 grand slams this year...from his perspective, it's really the only thing he has left to accomplish in his career.

Good to see some tennis fans around here....sometimes the "Pats suck" threads get a little old.

• Members

While Federer/Nadal is a great rivalry, I don't think Nadal has a chance against Federer on the hardcourts. If the match was on the red clay at Roland Garros, I'd take Nadal. Nadal played very well against Federer at Wimbledon last year, but I just don't see him taking 3 sets from Roger. I think most of Nadal's victories against Federer have been on clay. I think Federer would take winning the French Open versus winning the other 3 grand slams this year...from his perspective, it's really the only thing he has left to accomplish in his career.

Well...that and Sampras's lifetime Grand Slam titles, which if he keeps playing tennis like he has been , should only take 4 years. If he does that by 30, he will go down as the best men's singles player ever.

• Members

Federer won the French Open last year, so I think his only goal right now and for the rest of his career is chasing down the ghost of Sampras.

Let's not forget that Sampras never won the French Open, either. :p So as far as chasing down the ghost of Sampras -- how about adding in the ghost of Agassi? Remembering, of course, that Andre is one of only five men to have won a career Grand Slam - Australian Open, French Open, Wimbledon and U.S. Open. Not even Pete Sampras, in all his "greatness," accomplished this feat.

• Members

Let's not forget that Sampras never won the French Open, either.
:p
So as far as chasing down the ghost of Sampras -- how about adding in the ghost of Agassi? Remembering, of course, that Andre is one of only five men to have won a career Grand Slam - Australian Open, French Open, Wimbledon and U.S. Open. Not even Pete Sampras, in all his "greatness," accomplished this feat.

True. And even if he manages to win the French this year and match Agassi, he

• Members

Borg was a better French Open player than Agassi ever dreamed of.
:thu:

Yeah, Borg was pretty insane in the French open and Wimbledon, and definitely deserves his legendary status that way. And this video alongside World Cup all-star Tomas Brolin and a few other guys didn

Archived