OT: What's your level of education?

rememberduane

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

In many ways, formal education is a bit overrated IMO, It depends what you plan on doing. Some of the smartest people that I have ever met have nothing more than a GED and little to no College and conversely, Ive met College graduates that can barely set their alarm clocks...

There are so many resources to learn from these days, the only thing in the way IMO is ones appetite for knowledge and his or her desire to seek it....

Very true words, although there are some people, like myself, who learn vastly more when put in a good university setting in which there are human resources to tap such as fellow students and of course great professors. I read constantly, very informative stuff, but I feel I've learned much more from conversations with the many people I have at hand here who know much more than I do.

The other problem is that it's much harder to get your foot in the door without that sheet of paper. I think professionally, you have a much harder road without the degree, even if you are ostensibly far more qualified for a given job. Just my observations.

• Members
I also think you have it right Kage.

I am the dumbest person when it comes to doing regular daily things.

If you want me to conclude logical thought progressions i will be great, if you want me to wear my socks and shoes , i will be a mess.

And by the way, i had a beer , so i don't know what logical thought progressions might be

I almost never wear matching socks. :cry:

• Members

i have a high school diploma.
i have about 16 credit hours towards an associates of applied science.
i also have parents that never wanted me to do anything above and beyond moving out of thier house.
i have alot of real world experience:)

• Members

i also have parents that never wanted me to do anything above and beyond moving out of thier house.

I'm sorry your parents were like that. It's a blessing in disguise that my mom had a very bad family life and never had the chance to go to college or even finish high school -- she is and always has been hellbent on her children getting college diplomas. She always said she didn't care what we did afterwards (she obviously does, but you know), but that we have to get our college degrees and if she kills herself working she will help us to do so financially. My dad has to go along with that to stay out of the doghouse (or hotel).

As a truck driver, do you ever listen to audio books?

• Members

I'm sorry your parents were like that. It's a blessing in disguise that my mom had a very bad family life and never had the chance to go to college or even finish high school -- she is and always has been hellbent on her children getting college diplomas. She always said she didn't care what we did afterwards (she obviously does, but you know), but that we have to get our college degrees and if she kills herself working she will help us to do so financially. My dad has to go along with that to stay out of the doghouse (or hotel).

As a truck driver, do you ever listen to audio books?

nah- i am usually just listening to the howard stern show on sirius radio.

• Members

In many ways, formal education is a bit overrated IMO, It depends what you plan on doing. Some of the smartest people that I have ever met have nothing more than a GED and little to no College and conversely, Ive met College graduates that can barely set their alarm clocks...

There are so many resources to learn from these days, the only thing in the way IMO is ones appetite for knowledge and his or her desire to seek it....

glad i'm not the only one who feels this way

not to say that a good education isn't important, there's a reason i'm going thru it right now...buti think most people who are gonna do well in life could do it with or without a 'proper' education; they may have a longer/tougher road sometimes, but a lot of what it takes to make in the real world can't be taught in classroom

• Members

BS in Electrical Engineering - Dec '05

AS in Electronics Technology - Feb '00

Currently working as a Distribution Engineer for a Power company (I figure out how your house gets power).

wow that's great dude-- but do you think you are really needed?

i mean-- all the lines are there and the method of transmission has been provoded for-- do you really think we really NEED somebody to figure it out further?--lol

i dont think so.

• Members

I have a BA in Religious Studies, with an emplhasis in Medieval Christianity and a Minor in History.

I am currently in Human Resources and I just passed my "Professional in Human Resources (PHR) exam on Monday:thu: :cool:

This means, not only can I fire you, I know how to do it legally:thu: :evil:

And, no, I never wanted to go into Seminar and be a preacher :mad:

• Members

I agree with you. I mean, college is definitely a great source of learning and I think everyone should be able to go. Unfortunately, in today's society, people without colleges degrees are given little credibility. I know very smart people who never went to college. I definitely think that experience is the best teacher period.

• Members

BSc Physics....which I haven't used a single iota of....

Work in Business Development for large multi-national computer repair company

I'm all about the metal ... well unless it's 'core' or cookie monster ;-)

• Members
wow that's great dude-- but do you think you are really needed?

i mean-- all the lines are there and the method of transmission has been provoded for-- do you really think we really NEED somebody to figure it out further?--lol

i dont think so.

HAHAHAHA

since we all get power, somebody already figured it out.:confused:

• Members

taht is sort of how my parents are, they never taught me anything about life, and pretended stuff like drugs, alcohol and sex didnt exist. :freak: ,,:idea:

otherwise i could have been at a 4 yr school with a plan, goals, and everything in place to, , but it looks like i'll settle for some usless bachelors degree in something that i won't ever use. :o:(

Archived