What's the tightest band you've ever seen ?

Dr. Tweedbucket

• Members

I saw Kansas a couple of times back in the late 70's/early 80's when it was still the original six members. Man, crazy time and key changes and they were nailing everything. Them and Tull were absolutely locked in the times I saw them. Just outstanding musicianship. I've seen Rush three times, and they were excellent and totally tight each time, but it was somehow more impressive to see a six-piece bang out really intricate stuff. I'd have LOVED to have seen Zappa. Oh, I saw the Canadian band Saga in Germany in the mid-80s and they were absolutely great - awesome ensemble playing and a wicked good guitarist. I was totally suprised, so they get an "honorable mention" from me.

Did Saga have a toon called "On the Loose"?

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Did Saga have a toon called "On the Loose"?

Yup, that is correct. Never seen them perform live but I hear they were pretty tight. And the wicked guitar player is Ian Crichton. He is, indeed, wicked.

• Members

Ion Dissonance, Between the Buried and Me. They were nuts live.

Every Time I Die.

Sevendust did pretty well also.

Cursive.

Believe it or not, Sammy Hagar tore {censored} up.

**This thread made me realize that I've forgotten about more shows than I'll ever know**

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Iced Earth in the Dark Saga tour ( although I don't listen to this kind of music anymore I have to admit that they gave a very solid concert ) and John Mayall and The Bluesbreakers in 1998. Buddy Guy was super as well.

• Members

Tightest rock band in history is without a doubt any of Frank Zappa's 80s-era lineups. By this time he was putting them through 7 day a week 8 hour practices for 4 months straight before ever HITTING the road. They had a repetoire of over 200 songs and most of them were challenging say the least. On top of it all they were the some of the best musicians in the business, most of them still very busy session men to this day. Check out "Broadway the Hard Way", "Does Humor Belong in Music", the YCDTOSA series, and "Make A Jazz Noise Here" for proof. And after that there is still plenty more to listen to. His Mid-70s "One Size Fits All" lineup was no slouch either and that album contains some of the most difficult music ever recorded.

I swear I'm not a fanboy but Tool is definitely way up there as far as tightness goes.

Chick Corea Elektrik Band (I'm dating myself here...but still probably the best collection of musicians I've seen on one stage and I saw them at the height of their powers)

Last time I saw Mudvayne they were very tight. Gov't Mule is tight. U2 (though they play to so many click tracks how couldn't they be). Rage Against the Machine were tight when I saw them. Some "unexpected" bands as far as tightness were Triumph. Winger were the tightest hair band I ever saw...for better or worse they sounded perfect and everything was live. I once saw Warrant in their heyday and they were tight as hell. Bon Jovi was actually real tight...good vocals too. Getting back to more modern metal of course Pantera (they were a {censored}ing machine the one time I saw them), Meshuggah, Shadows Fall, Rammstein, all good.

Some other very typical recommendations would be King's X and Rush, but in a sense I think both bands could stand some loosening really.

• Members

Rush, I've seen them like a zillion times and they were pretty tight, not machine tight but human tight. Extreme, back in 1995, I think it was their last venue in Montreal, very very tight band. I've seen Yes 3 times, tight as it can be, John Paul Jones, King Crimson, Robert Plant were all tight each time I've seen them. Zappa Plays Zappa was incredibly tight, probably the tighest band I have ever seen, it was quite impressive. I'm probably forgetting some due to the enormous amount of venues I have been but that's about it for me.

I should have added Zappa Plays Zappa to my list as well...because they were the tightest band I've seen in the last 5 years without a doubt. But hey I covered his Dad's live history so much I guess there was no need.

• Members

megadeth in 2004.

He said vocally, too. Well, maybe you were at one of the shows they didn't play Train of Consequences. Dave can't {censored}in' sing that anymore...on Rude Awakening he had a hard enough time singing it 1/2 step down, and on the '04 tour they were playing it in STANDARD.

But yeah, Dream Theater's the tightest band I've seen, honorable mentions going to Symphony X and Decapitated.

Archived