OT: Photo guys, St. Andrews part 1

rememberduane

• Members

You still need to get a lens hood, even if it's just a rolled up piece of paper....

Contrast seems atificially high in a couple of the photos. I'm guessing you are bumping it up with Photoshop? Looks good though.

IIRC, he's shooting film and having it scanned when it's developed. The lab might be adding in contrast.

• Members
You still need to get a lens hood, even if it's just a rolled up piece of paper....

IIRC, he's shooting film and having it scanned when it's developed. The lab might be adding in contrast.

I've got one on the way, should be here tomorrow or Wednesday. :thu:

That is correct sir, it's quite possible. Hopefully someday soon I can invest in a dSLR. What do you think of the Pentax K100D?

• Members
I really like 1 and 4. 5 would have been much better if you'd gotten the top of the wall. The others aren't band, just kind of boring.

I agree about 5, I was kicking myself for not getting it when I got the photos back today. I agree these are kind of boring too -- the b/w roll that I took after this should be much more interesting (I played around in the graveyard for some interesting shots). Thanks for the comments! :thu:

• Members

I think here the water looks better if you use a longer shutter time with a narrower aperature to smooth it all out, and use a tripod so the rest is clear. Doesn't that also give greater depth of field focus, or am I thinking of it backwards? Looks pretty good in the first, but the second it's too jagged, which can be a good effect, but doesn't seem to be right in this situation.

Number four's definitely my favorite. Composition is pretty cool.

• Members
I think here the water looks better if you use a longer shutter time with a narrower aperature to smooth it all out, and use a tripod so the rest is clear. Doesn't that also give greater depth of field focus, or am I thinking of it backwards? Looks pretty good in the first, but the second it's too jagged, which can be a good effect, but doesn't seem to be right in this situation.

Number four's definitely my favorite. Composition is pretty cool.

Thanks! I agree, a longer shutter time would soften out the water a bit, which I think is usually better with running water, but oh well. I am getting a tripod fairly soon -- I want to take some nighttime shots of Edinburgh from up on Arthur's Seat with a long exposure. :thu:

• Members
Polarized in photoshop?

I need to get a polarizing filter!

Thanks man.
:love:

naa not polarised, googled "amazing sky" and got that, just stuck it behind the abbey and used layers to make the abbey fit :D

Ths sky matters for so much in shots like that :)

• Members

Sorry, don't know anything about it. Personally I'd stick with either Nikon or Canon.

Hmm yeah, I'm leaning towards a D50 now -- there are D50 sets with 2 Nikkor lenses on eBay for rather cheap. I know cheap glass isn't good, but I'm a university student, you know? Plus I think my school's photography society has Nikon stuff, and they have good Nikkor lenses for loan.

• Members

Hmm yeah, I'm leaning towards a D50 now -- there are D50 sets with 2 Nikkor lenses on eBay for rather cheap. I know cheap glass isn't good, but I'm a university student, you know?

So why would you waste your precious cash on junk? Seriously, investing in good glass will last you many years. When you decide to upgrade from the kit lenses, you won't be able to get anything for the kit lenses because everyone has them already.

If you just want some all-around snapshot lenses get the kit lenses, but if you expect to get serious about photography at all, just get the body and a used 50mm f/1.8. That lens is very inexpensive but still produces nice quality images.

Plus I think my school's photography society has Nikon stuff, and they have good Nikkor lenses for loan.

That will be good for you to experiment with and learn what lenses work best for you, but every serious photograhper should at least have a 50mm ;)

• Members

Because these kits on eBay are the same price as the new body on Amazon. And even the low end Nikkor stuff is hardly junk.
:thu:

Also because one of them is a 70-300mm lens, and yeah. I don't have $1500.

first of all, EVERY brand makes some good lenses and some junk lenses. Yes, even some Nikon and Canon lenses are junk. Don't think that just because it has the nikkor name on it that it's a good lens. (maybe "junk" is a little strong, but there are some poor lenses out there ;))

I just looked up the kits on ebay. If I'm looking at the same one you are (sounds like it since it includes a 70-300mm lens) I would think about it VERY carefully before buying.

The body is not new, it's a demo. This may not be a bad thing, they say there's still a 1 year warantee, but be aware of this.

The lenses are not nikkor, they're tamron. I'm not saying tamrons are bad quality glass in general (as I said above, there are good and bad), but third party lenses are all reverse-engineered. I'm sure it will work with the D50, but you can run into problems later when you upgrade your body with one that wasn't available when the lens was made. Nikon and Canon lenses are an investment, third party lenses are not IMO. I gave up on third party lenses largely because of compatibility issues.

Edit: OK, I just found a kit that does have Nikkor lenses, so the preceding paragraph may not apply to you

Zoom lenses are always a compromise between convenience and quality. Not all zooms are bad, but in general the wider the range the more you will compromise quality, and a cheap zoom with a wide range - look out! 70-300mm is quite a large range. I have a 70-200mm that is excellent, but it was over $1100.

Anyway, do what you want. People say it's possible to get great images even with cheap gear which is true. But you need to have the right tool for the job. I have literally seen people buy cheap stuff thinking they're getting a great deal and then wonder why they have so much trouble doing certain things. You may be perfectly happy with it, they don't look like the worst lenses. I'm just saying, think real carefully about it and do your research first so you know what you're getting and don't end up wasting your money.

Archived