Advice: To sell or not to sell my Engl?

Soeru

• Members

I've been debating whether or not doing this. I sold my 4x12 cuz I just play at home and want to record stuff quietly with it. I was originally intending to buy a Framus 2x12 with V30's for playing loud during the day and a Palmer PDI-09 and a Firewire recording interface. I can't take the head and cab out of the house though, as I don't have a car(no need really, public transport here is great).

I have been offered a trade for an old Engl E620 preamp + 400 euros which seems spot on for direct recording with the Palmer PDI-09 and recording interface I'm getting either way. I'd be left ampless then but I think I'd really want to get an Ampeg VH140C 2x12 combo afterwards to be my main amp, as I'd be able to play out with it easier but could also be tamed down for playing late at night unlike my Fireball. The lack of tubes is also extremely appealing. Thing is I would be paying around the same price for shipping as what the amp sells(I live in the Canary Islands).

So here's the question: Should I keep my Fireball and grab the Framus 2x12 or trade it for an Engl pre for DI recording and nab an Ampeg VH140C for playing out?

Would I miss the sound of the Fireball all that much? I'm a huge death metal fan and I've enjoyed countless legendary records with the Ampeg on it but I'm also a huge fan of the Engl sound. Especially how it can pull off mid-high gain sounds apart from bonecrushing grind. What should I do? :freak:

• Members

No no I'm certain that the Engl Fireball kicks loads of ass, I loved it with my Mode 4 4x12, but convenience for home recording is the issue here. I don't play in a band and don't plan on gigging in the foreseeable future.

Just don't wanna do something stupid and end up regretting it, but the convenience of the Engl tube pre for direct recording and having the legendary Ampeg 2x12 to terrorize the neighbors and play out if necessary just make me question myself if I should keep the Fireball with a 2x12 cab or not.

• Members

Good lord no, I'm investing in a better Firewire interface that'll let me use my own amp/preamp not some modeling crap. Thanks for the help, any others?

Edit: Nvm I realized you said Toneport not Guitarport. Yeah well the interface I'm buying is a Presonus Inspire(Firewire like the Firepod) so it's a little better and faster than the Toneport UX2.

By the way your sig says you own a Crate BV-30 1x12? Don't you mean BV-60?

• Members

sell it, get a gorilla

What is this? A combo amp of some sort?

I don't wanna try any different gear just wanna know if the gear swap I'm considering is a wise decision considering the convenience of a SS combo amp and a tube pre for DI use as opposed to a head and cab only for DI recording and playing at home.

• Members

This is a good suggestion, I was actually considering getting a smaller Weber attenuator of some sort. Not that I really need powertube saturation as I've gotten kickass sounds at non-cranked volumes but a good idea nonetheless.

I think I'm still gonna carry out the sale with the Fireball though, just not convinced that I am warranted of having a 60W tube head + cab for just home recording and not being able to play out with it. :p

• Members

Yeah, don't really have a car, so portability aint much less I could find a roller case in which I could fit both the head and 2x12 inside. :p I tried looking for one out of curiostiy but most only fit actual 2x12 combos, not a head + 2x12 cab.

By the way, the album in your avatar is {censored}ing brilliant. :thu:

• Members

he's got to make up his own mind. If he sells it and regrets...he'll get another one and learn from it. Either way it's going be a learning experience for you.

Like me. I had two Laney VH100R. I sold one in hopes that my other amp that I bought was an Orange Rockerverb 50. As it turn out. I regret selling my other laney. I later on sold the orange because it didn't have the sound I was looking for. I found another Vh100r for sale from Doublebarrel and bought it off him. I've learned that Laney amps are for me.

You make the choice.

• Members

he's got to make up his own mind. If he sells it and regrets...he'll get another one and learn from it. Either way it's going be a learning experience for you.

Like me. I had two Laney VH100R. I sold one in hopes that my other amp that I bought was an Orange Rockerverb 50. As it turn out. I regret selling my other laney. I later on sold the orange because it didn't have the sound I was looking for. I found another Vh100r for sale from Doublebarrel and bought it off him. I've learned that Laney amps are for me.

You make the choice.

Thanks this was a helpful reply. If I do carry this out and end up regretting it, I will indeed go back to an Engl in the future, only next time a Powerball. :thu: I will be upgrading to a Powerball in the future regardless because of the added channels but I hope I don't end up regretting the trade if I do carry it out.

Thanks, more replies are welcome. Such as comparisons between the sound of the Fireball DI'ed with a cabsimulating DI box and a 620 preamp. Just looking for a kickass DI sound, since my house isn't a very quiet environment. If I keep the Fireball I think I may nab a dynamic mic too to dual track it with a DI for experimentation too.

• Members

They're better pre-amps for the price, I've never played the e620 and don't know how it compares with the e530 but I hated the e530 through a mesa 50/50 into a 1960av w/ 75's.. It sounded really weak and fizzy. But thats for live stuff and not recording. Its really up to you man.

Archived