Side chaining hardware

KingVidiot

• Members

Forgive my ignorance, but most side chain topics revolve around DAWs. I've been doing a minimalist approach lately with a groove box and a few synths played live into a recorder. Is there a variety of outboard boxes or rack modules that accomplishes side chaining without a computer?

• Members

what exactly are you trying to compress? 3630s are cheap as chips, which makes them awesome, and i think they're a great learning compressor if you've never had one before. swapping out some of the components (not hard at all, i did it as a much less electronically capable 22 year old) can give the device a much longer lifespan in your studio, as the 3630 sounds pretty... distinctive. you'll hear a lot of people bitch about the way they sound. but daft punk used them. its a conundrum that makes snobby audio engineer heads explode.

alternatively, if you have a bit more cash, you should probably look at the RNC. more expensive but great at compressing things, and price-performance ratio is very good. my favorite cheaper compressor is probably the DBX 160X, i just like the way they sound. have not used one in a while unfortunately.

• Members

Thanks, I'll check out the 3630 for starters.

If you are in the market for a used compressor, I've got one for sale, and I'm in the SF Bay area. It's a Focusrite Penta.

Here's a review on it from Mix Magazine: http://www.barryrudolph.com/mix/penta.htm

It's a stereo compressor with a single channel preamp, and many other features. Compressor presets make it extremely user friendly for those not experienced with compression, and it is also fully adjustable manually as well. Feel free to PM me if you are interested.

Archived