So I ordered a Roland GAIA

selfinflikted

• Members

My friend who has a Fenix modular and a Moog Voyager Old School has a Gaia. I'll have to ask him about his likes/dislikes. I'm sure he likes more about it than "it can play chords".

Odd coincidence: (I have a Z1 instead of your friend's Fenix modular but) I have an Old School and a GAIA. :)

I use the GAIA for two primary purposes: the Sweetwater "Analog String" patch (for more than just analog strings), and for drones and atmospherics. For the latter, the ability to run separate LFO modulation at different rates on each voice makes it a very cheap (albeit limited) alternative to a true modular.

If the waveforms on the GAIA are sampled, how do they do the oscillator sync? I did notice that's the one thing left out of the "GAIAs on a screen" VA section in the Jupiter 80.

• Members

Yes.

Don't get me wrong, for someone who has no experience with subtractive synthesis, this would be a GREAT first board. But I'm fairly experienced and this keyboard just lacks... everything, including
sounding
good. The distortion was god awful (although the bit crusher was decent) and the raw waveforms were bad. The sound was FAR too muddy to be of any use in any mix I can think of.

I was disappoint.

I want a virus. I am thinking about getting the snow, but I really want the TI2 desktop unit. I'd just have to save up for it.

I sat down with GAIA at Guitar Center, and had essentially the same experience that you did. I really WANTED to like it. But the lack of a display was almost a deal-breaker by itself, and then when I listened to the raw waveforms that pretty much settled it.

On sound alone, even the VENOM kicks GAIA's ass, at $399 no less -- and it even has a display, 49 keys, it's multitimbral, and has a built-in audio interface to boot. And the Ultranova, though comparable in retail price to GAIA, is in a whole other universe sonically and feature-wise.

It's as if Roland released GAIA with the assumption that there weren't already much better synths available for the same price or less.

• Members

I *suspect* that they were recorded with different effects chains..

I'm sure they were - he even describes how the Virus is internal effects and the P'08 has basic effects from the DAW.

I do think the character of the synths is allowed to shine through regardless. They're both good, but I do think the P'08 sounds clearer and punchier (again, it could be programming).

• Members

If the waveforms on the GAIA are sampled, how do they do the oscillator sync? I did notice that's the one thing left out of the "GAIAs on a screen" VA section in the Jupiter 80.

They do it by disabling the filter... same as with the SH-32, the other sampled waves synth they have...

Yet - they've done much better with the JD990, haven't they? They should have this down pat by now, but maybe they've lost the code... lol

• Members

It is hard to tell from the demos for anything may have been done to the synths. That is one of my favorite NL3 demos I have heard so far. The PO8 sounded good as well. The ANDY had a nice old school vibe. I have always been underwhelmed with the TI and TI2, even though Depeche Mode uses them in bulk. It is just my personal taste I guess.

• Members

You know there is just something about owning a new board in the box that has never been touched.

^^ This, although Ive got some great deals buying in-store demos but there is nothing sweeter than opening a factory sealed box with your favorite synth inside.

Archived